Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got back from Sturgis yesterday. Let me tell you that was an adventure. If I ever go back again it will not be on my C/C. That was a most miserable trip on this bike. I fought that thing the whole way. I even told Victory there that they must of never put he bike in a wind tunnel. That thing vibrated and the buffeting was terrible. My arms and hand got sore trying to hold it against the wind. It was embarrassing to see Harleys pass and stare at the racket the transmission or primary was making. The more I twisted the throttle to keep up the more it vibrated. The noise it makes when you throttle up is terrible. I am totally disappointed in the way the wind beats you to death and the noise it makes in the dive line. I hear they have tried to fix the problem but that does not help those of us that already paid so much for the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Just did 800 miles on a XR and I had no issues with buffeting at all. Including a 70 mile streach running on at around 90mph. NOTHING passed me. While the trans make a bit of noise it is no worse then an HD 6spd, and the only one that can hear it is the rider. Get a set of pipes, and most of that will be covered

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you've read any of my post you will see that I have been less than impressed with the buffeting issue of this bike. With the issues this biek has with buffeting I think they should've made lowers stock with this bike. After b**** about it for a month I finally broke down and got lowers and it has made a huge difference. I have a 13 inch shield and can travel 80 + easily. I will get a 17 inch shield for the long trips and hopefully it will even be better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do a search on here on the buffeting issues. we all know your pain!!:crzy:This issue is fixable! The sad thing is that all research has been done by the riders and with no help from victory.:mad: Then after some company's developed windshields Victory comes out with their copy. :confused:

one thing will not fix it. It takes a combo of lower fork wind deflectors and a different windshield!

as stated above if you have stock exhaust its not that they hear your trans- its that it sounds like a lawn mower! :ltr:

Chin up buddy you have a great bike just waiting to bloom.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
For some reason my eyes saw XR, and not XC. Yup the buffeting sucks on a stock XC. The Kewlmetal winglets eliminate the bulk of the upswept air for a fraction of the price of the Vic lowers, or you can run both, and eliminate 99% of updraft

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am 5'11" and have the 13" Cee Baileys shield and victory lowers. I have no problems with buffetting. I also have the stage 1 and have no issues with tranny noise.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just did 800 miles on a XR and I had no issues with buffeting at all. Including a 70 mile streach running on at around 90mph. NOTHING passed me. While the trans make a bit of noise it is no worse then an HD 6spd, and the only one that can hear it is the rider. Get a set of pipes, and most of that will be covered
i am pleased with mine so far...at 3k..i just put a new shield on - gustaffson (?) 2 inch flip and it's great..

and so far nothing passes me unless i let it...

and as for sturgis...who cares..

and by the way, the fellas i know who go there with their HDs use a trailer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Briar,
I agree the buffeting is bad. This can be fixed with lowers. I will be fabricating my own shortly. I will install them on the highway bars not the forks. As far as vibration I don't have that problem. My CC rides smooth. I actually love the ride, even a high speeds except for the buffeting. Check your tires from pressure and balance. If they are not balanced that will cause lots of vibration. We drove to Laconia N.H last week round trip 350 miles at speeds ranging up to 80 mph without issue. By the way I traded my Harley Ultra in for this bike and I'm not sorry. I still own a Harley Street Bob. I had to keep at least 1 Harley seeing I own so much Harley clothing. LOL.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As an oldie but newbie to your very informative forum, I wanted to add a few comments on my recent observations while taking a 1500 mile ride on my new XC. Yes, there is considerable buffeting, yes there is a little vibration, and yes the transmission is VERY noisy in sixth gear. After 53 years of riding everything from HD's to BMW's, and with over 500 thousand miles (on bikes) under my belt, I have seen my share of buffeting, vibration, and every form of clunking, whirring, grinding and growling noises. With that said, by using my left hand like an airplane (as we did as kids from the car window), I moved it in every position from above the windshield, to the side of the fairing, and below the fairing, then slowly moving my hand closer to my body and head, I found very little disturbed air movement coming from under the fairing. I run a 15 inch Cee Bailey shield (I believe it is 6 in. over stock) and I find I have moderate air hitting my helmet just above the visor. There is a similar amount of air coming around each side of the shield, all converging on my helmet. I am 6 ' 1" and my line of sight is 2 inches above the shield. . By leaning slightly forward and down, I can move my head out of the three airstreams and virtually eliminate the buffeting. I'll be working on an air wing to fit near the junction of the windscreen and upper fairing, on both sides and may install an 18 inch shield with laminar lip. I may also consider a lower air wing after we get a cool spell, between Christmas and New Year. Hey, I live in South Florida--Land of Gators and Canes (hurricanes, that is). The small amount of vibration is of no concern to me. Every bike I have ever ridden had some kind of vibration or other quirk. I have come to accept that. Now for the tranny. Only thing I am NOT happy with. I had forgotten how American transmissions Clunk and Grind instead of Snick, Snick. The Clunk going into first is quite annoying but the growling in sixth becomes deafening after a few hundred miles in 104 degree temps. I could downshift to fifth and everything was buttery smooth. Between 65 and 85, the growling in in overdrive was so loud I would downshift to fifth at 75 mph just to have a pleasant ride, if you can call 104 degrees "pleasant". Interestingly, when I bumped my speed above 85 (only to pass, of course, uh huh), the growling disappeared. I'll have to take a close look at a parts breakdown to see what is happening in sixth that is not happening in fifth. Any engineers out there?? All in all, I am very happy with my Cross Country, even though I have many decades experience riding BMW's. Thanks for the time---PHIL

·
Registered
67 Posts
The buffet issue (not to be confused with Harrah's buffet) is a combination of factors. Windshield height is important depending upon what style of helmet (or none) that you wear and your head height. A full closed face is good for some, then the air comes in from below, so that means "w/s lowers". These are easy to make - just look at a Kaw Nomad and make some for yourself. I can't remember who makes the mount brackets, but they don't cost much. (National Cycle? anyone?) Most folks in the 6-foot range want the Vic tall w/s or a CeeBailey one that is taller. The stock one and the blade w/s are useless IMO.

Heck, I have made at least 6 sets of lowers and finally got something that works for me. Cheap and easy to do. If you look at a XR windshield, the "lowers" are already part of the windshield. This is a pretty slick engineering way to fix the problem, but was not done on the XC.

About the noise, Vic "improved" the trans for 2011 because of the noise complaints. The 2010 trans is still just fine, it is something different from a 2011. Noise is one of the big differences.

eta moya dva rubles

·
Registered
243 Posts
I actually bought a pair of lowers for the Kawasaki Nomad for 19 dollars then mounted them onto the C.C. total cost was about 25 bucks.
The buffet issue (not to be confused with Harrah's buffet) is a combination of factors. Windshield height is important depending upon what style of helmet (or none) that you wear and your head height. A full closed face is good for some, then the air comes in from below, so that means "w/s lowers". These are easy to make - just look at a Kaw Nomad and make some for yourself. I can't remember who makes the mount brackets, but they don't cost much. (National Cycle? anyone?) Most folks in the 6-foot range want the Vic tall w/s or a CeeBailey one that is taller. The stock one and the blade w/s are useless IMO.

Heck, I have made at least 6 sets of lowers and finally got something that works for me. Cheap and easy to do. If you look at a XR windshield, the "lowers" are already part of the windshield. This is a pretty slick engineering way to fix the problem, but was not done on the XC.

About the noise, Vic "improved" the trans for 2011 because of the noise complaints. The 2010 trans is still just fine, it is something different from a 2011. Noise is one of the big differences.

eta moya dva rubles

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cee Baileys 19"

I am 5' 11" and have the Cee Bailey's 19" shield and it works perfectly. I admit I look completely through the shield, but I personally like it that way. I figure I still have about 1" - 1 1/2" of shield above my helmet of shield, which means I feel no buffeting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts