Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General question , I was on my way home the other day from work , on the freeway, they had grooved the pavement down for resurfacing, but, I guess they forgot vehicles had to return to regular pavement sooner or later because when it went back to regular pavement there was about a 3 1/2" abrupt difference... I hit this @ about 65 MPH. I thought my wheels and suspension were going to blow apart. I don't think I stopped swearing out loud for about 5 miles. What are these pavers thinking??? Anyway , I got to thinking; whether its a pot hole, a rock , a divot , road kill , wash board , squirrel , or what, I seem to hit it all. Am I the only one that does this? I checked my bike over really good, didn't see nothing wrong , but man, I thought for sure new wheels were in order... Guess these bikes are pretty tuff. thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I hit a spot where a railroad track crosses the road and there was a chunk of pavement missing right at the rail... didn't see it coming because it was at the top of a hill and behind a raised hump. I hit that doing like 65 and I swear I thought my wrists were broken. The impact turned both mirrors 90 degrees... WHAM!! No damage or injury, but DAMN it hurt and DAMN was it loud.

Riding with a group when passing a semi. The truck lost a retread and a big chunk of rubber hit one of the riders. He didn't go down, but it broke his arm.

I hit a owl at 70 mph on my Sportster in 1977. Broke out the headlight, flipped over the bars, and landed in my lap. Luckily it was dead already... Blood EVERYWHERE! None of it was mine though.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hit a spot where a railroad track crosses the road and there was a chunk of pavement missing right at the rail... didn't see it coming because it was at the top of a hill and behind a raised hump. I hit that doing like 65 and I swear I thought my wrists were broken. The impact turned both mirrors 90 degrees... WHAM!! No damage or injury, but DAMN it hurt and DAMN was it loud.

Riding with a group when passing a semi. The truck lost a retread and a big chunk of rubber hit one of the riders. He didn't go down, but it broke his arm.

I hit a owl at 70 mph on my Sportster in 1977. Broke out the headlight, flipped over the bars, and landed in my lap. Luckily it was dead already... Blood EVERYWHERE! None of it was mine though.
Half , I did notice when I got home my seat cowl was only on by 1 peg , lucky I didn't lose it, I believe they are ridiculous money.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Funny, that just happened to me two days ago. Was much smaller than an owl, but freaked me a out a bit before it took a death flap off of my lap.

I didn't see blood anywhere, but my Visor was open and it squirted some bodily fluid on my sunglasses that dried into a very hard coating.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny, that just happened to me two days ago. Was much smaller than an owl, but freaked me a out a bit before it took a death flap off of my lap.

I didn't see blood anywhere, but my Visor was open and it squirted some bodily fluid on my sunglasses that dried into a very hard coating.
Bodily fluids? GROSS Saddle !:ltr:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
...Anyway , I got to thinking; whether its a pot hole, a rock , a divot , road kill , wash board , squirrel , or what, I seem to hit it all. Am I the only one that does this?
You WILL drive AT anything you look directly at so this is logical behaviour. You see it and then end up hitting it BECASUE you are focusing on it. The next time try to focus on a spot NEXT to the object and you will find that you will likely miss it (like you WANT too).

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You WILL drive AT anything you look directly at so this is logical behaviour. You see it and then end up hitting it BECASUE you are focusing on it. The next time try to focus on a spot NEXT to the object and you will find that you will likely miss it (like you WANT too).
Thanks Bunka , I will try it .:D

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
I translate that into negative space / positive space, which one do I want to take my bike into? The positive space, of course, so that's where I look. But by the time I approach it, my gaze is fixed to that place waaay down the road where I want my bike to be. Rule 37.4; Don't look where you are, don't look where you're going, look where you want to go and you will.thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could just be the roads in MA suck , the animals are dumb , and I'm blind?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I've hit two raccoons, a Saint Bernard and a deer since I started riding in 1977. None of these made me go down, but the raccoons took part of the radiator cowl off of my 2006 Royal Star Venture, the deer ripped the air filter box clean off, mangled the passing lamps broke the windshield and more.

My son recently narrowly missed a horse. He has been charged by an elk and once hit a bear.

It's a living obstacle course out there!

·
Registered
12,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts

LMAO Sqeezed the **** right of him.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
I was in the center lane of a three lane urban freeway when ahead of me lies a big pile of truck chains. Couldn't go around, so I give 'er throttle and yank the bars and big a$$ touring bike and me catches air over 'em. Had to do an encore with a 6X6 across same lane, same freeway, same bike on a later date. Now I ride the left lane on that road.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You know I been hearing that theory getting traction a bunch lately. I can see the reasoning and all but I got to say, I have looked at a whole bunch of things in my life and I have not hit most of them. To my way of thinking I'm damn happy I did look at the majority because the odds of my hitting them would have risen dramatically if I was not looking at them.

Maybe it's just me. I am hopeful though that people on motorcycles coming the other way will look at me and whatever internal mechanism guides their directional senses will use that visual input to steer clear of me. If they have to make a conscious effort to look elsewhere in order to avoid collision I fear the clock will run out on both of us especially at the speeds Pop drives.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The roads in Mass suck? That isn't really a question is it? More an observation.
Well the pike used to be awesome but don't you guys want to dump the tolls? I got a fair notion of what will happen to that ribbon of high speed asphalt once the well goes dry. Man it used to be Autobahn west of Worcester all the way to NY. Take your ticket, run it up to 110 and cruise. It would have been a deal at twice the price. Take the toll out and you get a twofer. The roads turns to shite and the only revenue stream on the pike will include blue lights and a sinking feeling when you get a letter from your insurance company in the mail.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The roads in Mass suck? That isn't really a question is it? More an observation.
Well the pike used to be awesome but don't you guys want to dump the tolls? I got a fair notion of what will happen to that ribbon of high speed asphalt once the well goes dry. Man it used to be Autobahn west of Worcester all the way to NY. Take your ticket, run it up to 110 and cruise. It would have been a deal at twice the price. Take the toll out and you get a twofer. The roads turns to shite and the only revenue stream on the pike will include blue lights and a sinking feeling when you get a letter from your insurance company in the mail.
No, Pop , the question was whether I was blind or not, :ltr: But as far as the Pike is concerned, like Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven, " It ain't like that no more"...

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Honestly, I saw the title of this thread and immediately wondered what life-altering event happened that you have to give up riding?

I'm glad it was a LITERAL bump in the road :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Bumps are easy. Try soft sand that makes your front end squirrel all over the place for 7 miles. The engine gets so hot it won't restart until its cooled. And then, you're in the middle of nowhere without a GPS. The folks at www.ridelakesuperior.com have now updated their suggested route after a subtle email.

Coincedently, I bottomed on an oversized speed bump and the next check at the dealer found a missing frame bolt. Don't know if the bump caused it or the factory missed it.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
You know I been hearing that theory getting traction a bunch lately. I can see the reasoning and all but I got to say, I have looked at a whole bunch of things in my life and I have not hit most of them. To my way of thinking I'm damn happy I did look at the majority because the odds of my hitting them would have risen dramatically if I was not looking at them.
I've noticed this. It isn't so much looking at it as opposed to "I-have-to-make-a-decision-to-go-left-or-right-but-I-can't-because-I-don't-know-what-it-is-so-oh-CRAP-I-just-hit-it" cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've noticed this. It isn't so much looking at it as opposed to "I-have-to-make-a-decision-to-go-left-or-right-but-I-can't-because-I-don't-know-what-it-is-so-oh-CRAP-I-just-hit-it" cheers
Exactly Broggy ....thumb up

1 - 20 of 34 Posts