Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, I had a crap weekend. I bought my bike in April, it was a dealer demo bike from HI, and I am technically the first owner. Dealership I bought it from was known for sport bikes, and for whatever reason had purchased 4 Victorys at an auction, all of them demos. Long story short, dealership I bought the bike from knew nothing about Victorys. First when I got the bike, the clutch was adjusted HORRIBLY wrong, and now I find out that they put the wrong oil in. On the way home on Friday night, the clutch started slipping. It got progressively worse Saturday while I was trying to troubleshoot it.

I went through all of the threads in regards clutch slippage, then on to oil, so no need for any discussion on that, suffice it to say that the dealership put in oil that is widely known to cause slippage, and also lost its JASO/MA certification.

I went to the local Victory Dealership on Monday, grabbed the oil change kit, and swapped everything out myself, but it was too late. Clutch plates are too far gone. They put in new oil the day I got the bike, and after 200 KM of short rides back and forth testing/troubleshooting, it was as dark of coffee when it came out.

After some SERIOUS back and forth with the dealership, they are covering the cost of a new set of Barnett Plates, and half of the cost of the install, which will be done at the local Victory dealership.

I am riding the bike to the dealership next Friday morning, burnt slipping clutch and all, to have the install done and have the bike ready for the wedding I am in that Sunday. The whole wedding party is riding in, 3 Harleys, and my Vic :devil

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I would have it done before, in case there are delays.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't get it in sooner, and the Vic dealership is squeezing me in so I can get it done. Parts won't arrive here until Tuesday or Wednesday, and I wanted to have a 1 day buffer just in case they get delayed.

Start of the season and the same month as Friday the 13th in Port Dover means most dealerships are RAMMED busy.

If all else fails and the bike isn't ready, they dealership says they will lend me a XC 8 Ball for the wedding, but that is last resort.

·
13,002 Posts
DEMO says it all. think how many riders beat the crap out of the clutch or didn't even know how to use the clutch.
Stop and go stop and go bad riders will burn up a clutch fast

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
DEMO says it all. think how many riders beat the crap out of the clutch or didn't even know how to use the clutch.
Stop and go stop and go bad riders will burn up a clutch fast
yup! I was at Harley demo days this past sunday and observed several riders revving the engine and slipping the clutch slowly to get going. geeeesh!!

I would never buy a demo or a rental bike!

That said, buying a used bike is also risky but I've bought several without any problems engine/tranny wise. I guess the key there is that it was an "owner" bike since new rather than having been a demo or rental.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Good luck mate, pictures and ride reports appreciated ...
In Indonesia they also burn a lot of clutches ... I'm not understanding why ...
They do not use VIC Oil on their bikes too .... But I do ... I am not understanding why these guys are burning clutches, maybe the amount of traffic jams & the heat .... Not sure why ....

Interesting fact you gave ... Ride 200km on new oil and came out coffee color ...

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup! I was at Harley demo days this past sunday and observed several riders revving the engine and slipping the clutch slowly to get going. geeeesh!!

I would never buy a demo or a rental bike!

That said, buying a used bike is also risky but I've bought several without any problems engine/tranny wise. I guess the key there is that it was an "owner" bike since new rather than having been a demo or rental.
To be honest, I didn't know it was a demo until I was signing everything and the bank pulled the CarProof. I still stole it from the dealership for what it was worth.

2012 XR, 2006 Miles, for $12300 CAD, or $9471 USD using today's exchange rate. I verified that they brought it in in 2014 and paid $13000 for it.

In the end I am only paying a few hundred for the new, upgraded clutch. Everything else is perfect or has been replaced/fixed by me already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am curious if you actually need a clutch. Has it been apart?

We put the wrong oil in my dads bike a long time ago, ( I was around 16) and the plates were glazed so bad the bike wouldnt move with the clutch all the way out...

Our fix was adding Marvel Mystery oil to the new correct oil. It started to grab again, so I rode around a while and it worked as good as new!

Being unsure of the condition of your clutch, I wouldn't think it would hurt to try? If you already have oil in it, add some mystery (maybe half bottle? don't remember really how much) and try to ride it. You may have to drain some oil out before adding.

Might not hurt to do a little research on the mystery oil fix. Im sure I found it on the interwebs previously..

Clutch Slippage... in General Discussions Forum

Couple guys talk about same problem here on a Honda..

When it grabs again, ride a little more then change oil..

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You say clutch was adjusted "horribly" What do you mean by that? No free play? Or did not grab until all the way out? I just installed an ez pull, and before doing it I read a few posts and watched a Witch Doctor video warning of free play and also routing to make sure the cable pull was straight. Well mine was not going to be straight, so I had to make a bracket to relocate the cable a bit forward. It seems to work OK as I just finished the job today.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, it's definitely the clutch, the friction plates anyway. I described everything to the Vic Dealership, the smell, the symptoms. They agree.

To expand on the Coles notes version above, when I bought the bike, it had been at that dealership for the better part of 2 years (-2 months). I had originally looked at it in 2014, and test rode it then. No issues, but they were asking WAY too much.

When I went to get it this April, there was still snow on the ground so no test ride this time. The Odo still had the same reading as when I looked at it the first time. On delivery day, the clutch plates were stuck together, they freed them up, and I forced them to swap out the oil. I only had the bike in 1st moving it from the back of the dealership to the truck, then right into the garage for tear down and blackout.

When it was finally warm enough 3 weeks later to get out and ride it, I got into 1st fine, 2nd seemed ok, but when I got into 3rd, it was slipping MASSIVELY, same for 4th. While moving, I would give it gas, but it felt like the clutch was just at the edge of the friction zone. Pulled over and put it in Neutral. Tried to get going again, and it wouldn't go in first. I called the dealership, they hummed and hawed, told me to let the bike cool off, then try again. Told me to try to get it into first without the bike on (good luck with that).

When I was finally able to get it into first, same thing as before, just the bare amount of friction present to get the bike moving, but at walking speeds. I was 5 km away from my house by this time. Took me 20 minutes of high revving at 20km/h in 3rd to limp her home. I pulled up the internet that time, and the service manual. First thing I checked was the clutch free-play. The morons had set it up like a sport bike according to them to have the engage/disengage points with the smallest pull on the lever. So once the engine/cable warmed up, the clutch was not fully engaging. I fixed, and all seemed well, with the occasional slippage.

2 weeks ago, in the search to eliminate the 20lb pull on the clutch, I installed an ez-pull clutch from WD. Adjusted it to the proper points, but was getting slippage, which I attributed to it, so I pulled it off after one ride to and from work last Friday. The pull was glorious, but the slippage was bad at high revs. Readjusted the clutch cable again to spec free-play, and took her out. That is when I discovered the slippage was still there and getting worse.

That is when I hopped back in here, and saw the number of threads involving slippage and the main culprit being the oil. I asked the dealership what oil they put in, and it was one of the more well known ones that you can't use. That brings us full circle to the first post.

I knew there might be issues with a demo bike, and it was a risk, but for the money, it was still a deal. They are hard to find in Canada.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You say clutch was adjusted "horribly" What do you mean by that? No free play? Or did not grab until all the way out? I just installed an ez pull, and before doing it I read a few posts and watched a Witch Doctor video warning of free play and also routing to make sure the cable pull was straight. Well mine was not going to be straight, so I had to make a bracket to relocate the cable a bit forward. It seems to work OK as I just finished the job today.
As above, they had adjusted it to the shortest possible length on the adjuster nut. There was absolutely no free play. I had to bring it down 25+ turns with the wrench, so 6-7 full rotations of the adjuster nut to get any free play. Almost 1/2"-3/4" down.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
OH MY. Why they would have it adjusted like that is beyond me. Sport bike or not. A cable clutch has to have "fre play" or an "off" position. A hyd clutch has a off zone so to speak. Sometimes they dont have a real good feel for engagement, but when released they are "off" so to speak as far as engagement.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Yup when I got my Jackpot the clutch was wrongly adjusted .... First job I did on the bike ....

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You will love the feel of the Barnett clutch . My buddy has one on his XCT and when I rode it , it had so much grab . Made my stock clutch feel very buttery . I want one !

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope it all works out and you're riding YOUR bike to the wedding!

P.S. Chive On!
CHIVE EVERYWHERE!!!! ;)

@LILMAGS500 sadly it's not the full Scorpion kit, though I contemplated it. It's the Barnett plates only designed for the stock clutch assembly. Oddly enough, I ordered a Barnett HE cable last week trying to mitigate the clutch pull.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
CHIVE EVERYWHERE!!!! ;)

@LILMAGS500 sadly it's not the full Scorpion kit, though I contemplated it. It's the Barnett plates only designed for the stock clutch assembly. Oddly enough, I ordered a Barnett HE cable last week trying to mitigate the clutch pull.
It will still be better then the stock MUSHY one !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Demo Disasters

Gents, Demo units are by far the most abused units. I would rather buy a used unit. I have demo rode several units from different makers and you know we are never easy on them. So buyer beware when it comes to demos. Congrats on getting married.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
whoa Whoa WHOA!!! I'm just in the wedding party, not the silly bastid actually getting hitched :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welp, funny thing happened to me on the way to work. I checked the order status of the plates today before leaving, and the estimated delivery date was Friday next week.... THE MORNING THE BIKE IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN!! Called them to find out what happened, they said there is a delay on their supplier end, nothing they could do.

So long story short, a call to Robin at @witchdoctor and a whole new change of plan, I now have a full Scoprion kit en-route, projected for Tuesday Delivery. Cancelled the other order from the Canadian shop.

I'll take the upgrade as I was planning on doing it down the road. I am covering the difference in cost, so in my mind I am getting a Scorpion at half price. Looking forward to the smoother shifting and lighter pull too combined with the Barnett HE Cable that is sitting at my door right now waiting for me to get off duty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts