Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin by saying that I buy the things I buy to satisfy ME, and no one else. I'm not here to impress you, I'm here to enjoy my life.

But at some point, I am expecting to hear the old "Yeah, but it's still no Harley" crap. Just because it's an American V-Twin cruiser, the only comparison to be drawn is naturally Harley-Davidson, and I get that, but some Harley owners can be really insane about their blinding love of the brand.

I was down to 2 bikes in the end, a V-Rod Muscle and the Hammer S. For me personally, the Hammer was the best fit, but that's no slight on the Muscle in any way. I loved the Muscle, rode it and enjoyed it, but enjoyed the feel of the Hammer more, that's all. I'll probably still buy one at some point, but in all honesty, it's the only Harley that appeals to me. Sure the quality, fit and finish of a Harley is terrific, but aside from the V-Rod, they are sickly and underpowered. It's almost like a ruse... you hear that big bad motor and ASSUME it's a powerhouse when a Dyna or Softail blows by... but come to find out, they are anemic. Only took one short ride to find out.

So what do YOU say when someone tries to talk down about your Victory "just because" it's not a Harley?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lets run them and see who wins?!?

OR

How much did all that chrome cost you. lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
All you have to say is, "That's right, it isn't." Leave it at that. They'll either get it or they won't. But you will, and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a Harley Ultra, Victory XC, and a Goldwing.
I really like all 3 but for different reasons. I am not brand loyal.
A good friend of mine who is a die-hard HD rider asked me: how do you do it, you are not HD loyal but always happy no matter what ya ride. I want to be like that but I can't.

I get it a lot from my HD riding friends.
I just tell em I like things different

·
Registered
396 Posts
"just wanted something different":D

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I've come out of a place to find a guy (or guys) admiring my XR and will admit that although they currently have a Harley, they really like what Victory has to offer. I tell them to go take a test ride to learn just how much better the Victorys are and you'll end up riding one, like me. They'll respond saying things like; I couldn't get a Victory, my buddies would laugh at me. Then I'll reply; So you'll ride a second rate bike due to peer pressure - I thought you left high school habits behind. Then they get a bit hang dog. Being in my mid 70s, I find that I can get away with being very direct. Like your grand dad does - or did.

Like some others, I have no brand loyalty, I get what works for me at the time. Brand loyalty is a form of blindness. My XR is what's keeping me up on two wheels at my stage of life, even tho I've disliked cruisers for decades. But the X bikes are cool baggers that can carve and I love to work the twisties big time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My reply has always been, " You're right, it's better". Then if they want to continue the conversation I proceed to tell them how. I have been riding my Warrior with an HD crowd for years and they have gotten tired of hearing and seeing how it is better.

Note: I came out of a restaurant one time to find a buddy of mine had put rice on the seat of my Warrior. The next time we stopped on a ride together I put pork rinds on his seat. All in good fun.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It is asked all the time and my reply is always straight forward

"Your damn right its not!"

Sometime when I want to get real salty I reply -

"**** what gave it away? Maybe the Victory badge on the tank there fella!"

Bottom line have fun with it, it is going to be aske. Just know that you got the better bike the better deal and if they want to ride - it will not matter!

You could also point out that the Victory is more American Made then the HD... That normally shuts them up pretty fast too! cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
The real answer is Victory has come a long way, HD is /was the undisputed king of cool and style. However the market is changing, IMHO Victory is just beginning to get into their stride, sooner or later more and more people will recognize that.

I currently run 3 modern HDs , but have fallen in LUV with the Jackpot. AND will have one this summer. If you need to actually defend your ride, I'd say you need to stand in front of the mirror and practice a Hulk Hogan stance until you feel able to answer the question. Or carry a " Big Stick":D

Harley is plainly outdated, but watch them they will be back, Currently Victory still needs to refine their bikes with some nicer paint and chrome IMHO and that will increase the price a little I suppose, but that is the biggest complaint I had until this year about the Victorys

Kinda like the new Camero VS the new Challenger, both are sweet, technology is a changing.

I luv the 106 engine, it is the best.

My opinion of the HD Muscle, it is the most awkward bike, I have ever ridden, there are none in Las Vegas or even on the dealer floors. They are toast in a year or 2.

A dressed up XC or even a Vision with custom wheels are looking good imho. I hear more HD guys paying complements to them, so just bid your time, the corner has been turned by Victory. They are priced right and will continue to get better.

Just some nicer paint jobs please:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I complement the guy who says-But it is not a Harley. I just tell him that it is great that so many harley riders are Christians. That is usually followed by a puzzled look, to which I reply-I always see you guys kneeling next to your bike on the side of the road, you have to be praying-Right?? That usually breaks the ice.

Like others I am not and never have been brand loyal, and I don't like having the same stuff everyone else has, bikes, cars boats whatever. Just look at my signature. I just happen to feel that Victory is making a good product and that the company is very foreward thinking, lots of fresh ideas. I will also encourage a rider of a different brand to get on the internet and watch some of the factory videos, paying attention to the ages of the engineers at Victory. Not the same old thing with a new name every couple years.

Sure there are some nice bikes out there by Harley, but until they step up and freshen things up I will stick with what I ride weather it is a Victory or a Jap bike of some kind, of which I've owned many over the years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I like to reply,"thanks for noticing"!thumb up

·
Registered
29 Posts
How about, "You're right, been there, done that, and now I have a bunch of T-shirts to clean it with."

·
Registered
336 Posts
How about, "You're right, been there, done that, and now I have a bunch of T-shirts to clean it with."

LOL!!!! :ltr:

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are other things besides being a "BETTER" bike that make our Vic's stand out. We have a forum like this that we can go to for help. The help given is straight from the hip. Some of the other forums have a tendency to get out of line, and talk down to those of us that haven't "kept up" with huge upgrades, but still would like a little more, for a little less $ invested. Not many of the other forums have one of the advisor's picture on the back of the motorcycle manufacturers magazines. I haven't posted much lately, but I know if I do have need of help, everyone is there to help without a lot of sarcasm. Thanks everyone!
Beware of old men, they tend to ramble.
BK
07' Kp tour, S&S air box, 05' slipons
(one fine machine)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts