Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Zach Ness Cross Country. When I was at the SE Victory Rally I was involved in an accident and the result was my right saddle bag / lid was destroyed. When I got home I went to my local Victory dealer and sat down with the parts guy to figure out what parts we needed to order. I figured it would take about a week or so to get everything to me.

A couple weeks pass and the dealer calls me and says that the parts are in so I rush down and pick everything up. Upon inspection of the parts I discovered that the saddle bag lid does not have the graphics that it should. I cross reference the part number that is on the box with the Polaris parts look up and it is the proper part number for my bike. Called the dealer back and explained the situation and they opened a case with Victory to get it fixed. Victory comes back stating that the bag lids do not come with graphics and that I need to send a picture to prove my story. I did as they asked even though I was quite irritated and surprised that the person at Victory clearly had zero clue as to what their bikes looked like or that my VIN is different than regular Cross Country models which further proves that I do in fact own a Ness CC, or the fact that a simple google search or a few minutes on the Victory website will show that the bag lids do in fact have graphics on them.

A few days go by and they say that the part was in fact wrong and they do not have the proper part in stock. The best part of this is that the ETA they gave to get the right part was 30 days. Yes… 30 days to paint a saddle bag lid. Anyway, 30 days pass and I don’t hear anything from the dealer so I give them a call and they tell me that the status was changed to “Supply Chain Delay”. I wait a few more days and decide to call Victory to express my dissatisfaction. I particularly enjoyed that when I did call all they did was take a message and tell me that someone will call me back in 3-5 business days. When the Victory guy did call me back he said that the part was in stock and shipping either that day or the next day so I was pumped to get my bike back on the road! The delivery day comes and I don’t hear anything from my dealer which was strange since so I called them up. Victory sent them a saddle bag lid that again did not have graphics on it. At this point I am over the entire situation and just fed up with the fundamental process failures that have occurred in the entire process and lack of consideration and customer support on Victory’s part.

I expressed this discontent to my dealer and told them that it is time to get people higher in the food chain involved as what we are trying to do is obviously not working. I also called Victory myself and referenced the previous case number and got the same “someone will call you in 3-5 days” routine. My dealer did talk to someone that was familiar with the situation and did offer to pay to have someone local paint the saddle bag lid but that is not an endeavor I wish to undertake as there are far too many variables that are to consider for me to be comfortable with that solution. Also I found out that there is another person out there with a Zach Ness CC that is having the exact same problem as I am.

I am telling all of you this so that you are informed of a fundamental flaw in Victory’s manufacturing and supply chain process and that you consider it if you are thinking of purchasing a “Limited Edition” product from Victory. I am sure that if I had a standard color this would not have been an issue but the reality is that I paid a premium price for a limited premium product and the support from Victory after the fact for their premium products is lackluster. At the point of writing this issue is still not resolved and there has not been any communication from Victory to either myself or my dealer with a resolution.

Anecdotally, I special ordered my car from a manufacturer that built, shipped, and delivered the car from Germany to the U.S. in less time that it has taken Victory to paint a single saddle bag lid.

Finally, my dealer Barton Powersports has been the only bright spot in this entire process as they understand the problem and have spent a considerable amount of time to help me resolve it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the insight...as I have always wondered that if something happened to my Cory Ness XC what would the process be to replace a saddlebag/part with the graphics. What a pain it seems and you are right "limited" edition might be "limited support". Keep us posted on the process as I am sure there are others interested. BTW...also ordered a car from Germany and was impressed on the timely manor/tracking available. Maybe Vic should take a note from the Germans!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
They don't stock painted parts with graphics for a special edition bike, and your upset about it? Next time, buy a regular color. There's no point stocking parts for a limited edition that there are not many of them around

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I work for Ford and in 2005 / 2006 they built a car called the GT , absolutely beautiful car , sticker price 170,000.00 . They made about 500 of them . I cant even get a wheel bearing for one of these anymore .... P.S. Ford dealers routinely got over 200,000.00 for these cars because so many people wanted them . Good luck getting a spark plug for it now ....

·
Registered
611 Posts
They don't stock painted parts with graphics for a special edition bike, and your upset about it? Next time, buy a regular color. There's no point stocking parts for a limited edition that there are not many of them around
My thoughts exactly. It's a limited edition bike which means there aren't many out there which means the likelihood of a replacement part being needed is low. Paint is expensive which means that keeping stock of the unlikely to ever be needed limited edition painted parts is going to result in a lot of money sitting on a shelf. When a replacement is needed, the part is produced, that's not at all unreasonable imo. Now that said, you waited an awfully long time to get the part and it was incorrect when you did, that part I can understand being upset about, but they've offered to pay a local painter to do the graphics for you, I don't see how they could possibly have done more to make the situation right after screwing it up with the huge delay. You say there are too many variables, like what? Paint colors? Graphics matching the other side? Those are the only two variables I can think of and frankly, you run into the same problem getting it from victory. You're going to end up with brand new paint on one side and old paint on the other so there's always a chance of a mismatch due to fading. And unless the graphics are painted on with a template or machine there's always the chance that they will be slightly different. Hell, even with a template and/or machine there's a chance of a mismatch. Take them up on the offer to pay a local painter, find someone with a good reputation, and get your bike fixed.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Send your bag lid to Goody2667 here on the forum , it will come back better then factory . The guy is a painting GOD with very affordable services .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thoughts exactly. It's a limited edition bike which means there aren't many out there which means the likelihood of a replacement part being needed is low. Paint is expensive which means that keeping stock of the unlikely to ever be needed limited edition painted parts is going to result in a lot of money sitting on a shelf. When a replacement is needed, the part is produced, that's not at all unreasonable imo. Now that said, you waited an awfully long time to get the part and it was incorrect when you did, that part I can understand being upset about, but they've offered to pay a local painter to do the graphics for you, I don't see how they could possibly have done more to make the situation right after screwing it up with the huge delay. You say there are too many variables, like what? Paint colors? Graphics matching the other side? Those are the only two variables I can think of and frankly, you run into the same problem getting it from victory. You're going to end up with brand new paint on one side and old paint on the other so there's always a chance of a mismatch due to fading. And unless the graphics are painted on with a template or machine there's always the chance that they will be slightly different. Hell, even with a template and/or machine there's a chance of a mismatch. Take them up on the offer to pay a local painter, find someone with a good reputation, and get your bike fixed.
The variables are numerous. Including paint brands, formula, application technique. Or even something as simple as not having anyone local that you trust with the job. Have you ever tried to paint match a matte color before?

We will also ignore the fact that I paid for a factory painted part which they still offer for sale.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't you think that if I wanted a regular color I would have bought one?........

Also they DO stock the parts which is why they offer them for sale.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This :wink
Send your bag lid to Goody2667 here on the forum , it will come back better then factory . The guy is a painting GOD with very affordable services .
And this. I would take them up on this offer and get my bike back on the road.

·
13,235 Posts
Your best bet is keep working with your dealer. He can talk to people you can't reach. Be nice to your dealer ask if there is a rep in your area and get him involved.
I have to believe they have the part they just don't know they do

·
Registered
611 Posts
Don't you think that if I wanted a regular color I would have bought one?........

Also they DO stock the parts which is why they offer them for sale.
For sale does not mean in stock. Porsche sells a turbo 911 in neon pink but I guarantee you that you won't find one on any dealer lot anywhere in the world. You order it, then they build it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I worry about this type of issue with my bike being the custom paint option.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For sale does not mean in stock. Porsche sells a turbo 911 in neon pink but I guarantee you that you won't find one on any dealer lot anywhere in the world. You order it, then they build it.
You are missing the entire point of the thread.....

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts

+1 goody is the man. He painted an entire bike for a member on here that had a "special edition".

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can hammer on Victory all you want. The fact of the matter is Honda has the same issues with parts. I had a 2010 Goldwing and got hit from behind. The trunk and saddlebag mount was crushed. After 6 weeks I learned there wasn't one in the USA to be had. It was looking like at least 6 months before there would be one available through Honda. I went to a motorcycle salvage yard and found a used one from a front end total and the dealer put it on. 1 week later I traded the bike for a Vision. It isn't just Victory, it is all brands with maybe the exception of HD.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You are missing the entire point of the thread.....
No I'm not. He's upset because he can't get parts from victory. An understandable sentiment, I would be too if I needed something for my bike to get it back on the road and couldn't get it from anywhere. He's upset because when he did receive the part, it wasn't correct (no graphics) again, understandable, I too would be pissed if I waited for parts to arrive only to find out they were the wrong parts. He's even more upset because after jumping through hoops to get the correct part, and waiting a very long time for it to show, it still wasn't correct, once more, understandable and I would be just as angry with the situation. HOWEVER, while it took a long time to get to this point, a reasonable effort to correct the situation has been made, he has been offered to have a local painter match the graphics with no cost to him. He has refused this solution citing "too many variables" which implies he expects the results to be inconsistent with what's on the bike now. This is where he's lost my sympathy. Up until that point I was right there willing to piss on the supply chain for failing to deliver but once that offer was made and refused, sorry man, sucks that your bike isn't on the road but it's all on you from here on out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I'm not. He's upset because he can't get parts from victory. An understandable sentiment, I would be too if I needed something for my bike to get it back on the road and couldn't get it from anywhere. He's upset because when he did receive the part, it wasn't correct (no graphics) again, understandable, I too would be pissed if I waited for parts to arrive only to find out they were the wrong parts. He's even more upset because after jumping through hoops to get the correct part, and waiting a very long time for it to show, it still wasn't correct, once more, understandable and I would be just as angry with the situation. HOWEVER, while it took a long time to get to this point, a reasonable effort to correct the situation has been made, he has been offered to have a local painter match the graphics with no cost to him. He has refused this solution citing "too many variables" which implies he expects the results to be inconsistent with what's on the bike now. This is where he's lost my sympathy. Up until that point I was right there willing to piss on the supply chain for failing to deliver but once that offer was made and refused, sorry man, sucks that your bike isn't on the road but it's all on you from here on out.
So you are saying that it is okay for a company to offer a product for sale. A saddle bag lid for example. Provide the incorrect product to the customer twice and then push the fix and the logistics of implementing proposed fix off to the customer and a third party to remedy the original companies problems with supply chain and manufacturing for them?

I am not sure where you live or how much business experience you have but that is simply not acceptable by any means for any business.

Also since Victory offers a warranty on their products they are obligated to provide parts for the warrantied product for the duration of the warranty. Now this is not a warranty claim but the bike is a 2013 and with the capability to have a 5 year warranty of that model Victory is obligated to provide EVERY part that makes up the bike from the time the last of that model year was sold which would be at a minimum 2018. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is a good place to start for that information.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've got a pretty good scratch on my tank. A chip the size of a guitar pick is gone. I painter I know wanted me to take him the tank so he could match it up. I could not stand the thought of not getting to ride waiting on it so pulled out a can of similar color and sprayed. Too dark but not as noticeable. :grin

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Polaris is not known for their quality nor effectiveness in their after sales support across any of their recreational equipment lines. Never has been consistent and nobody expects it to improve. I do imagine however they will put in a bit more effort for similar situations on the Indian line. If they don't step up to the plate they will eliminate any advantage the iconic nameplate has obviously given them. A pig with lipstick on is still a pig.

As for the paint being done by a local there are two aspects to consider. First off, Polaris is just dropping the responsibility to make it right and transferring the onus entirely to the owner. Polaris will wash their hands of the matter and any problems with matching or timelines will be between the unknown service provider and the owner. End of story.

On the other hand, no manufacturer is going to have model and year specific pre-painted parts in stock. I don't care if it's Victory or Ford or whoever. Parts are delivered to body shops primed and that's it.(some exceptions if the part required is still in production year) Paint too is not stored for years and is blended and mixed to specific formulas when needed. If the painter at Victory can blend and match paint then certainly an experienced local guy can do just as well. OP's concerns regarding variables are unfounded in fact. Lots of vehicles get fender damage and are paint matched without it sticking out like a sore thumb.(rattle cans aside) Because Victory would have to match the blend in the same manner as the local guy you have to expect the same conditions. There's no difference. In fact, the only way to guarantee everything is perfect is to repaint all the tins from the entire bike and that's just ludicrous from a manufacturers stand point.

By the way, if a vehicle has been driven for a couple of years outside in the daylight your paint isn't the same colour it was sitting on the showroom floor. A body part painted in the original year, stored inside in a climate controlled environment, won't have been exposed to the effects of ultraviolet light and oxidization. It would be noticeable.

If you live in a big city there's lots of autobody painters who have the skills to match the paint. Get some references and be prepared to supply the other cover for guidance and match testing. They have loads of experience as well as access to all kinds of information so unless Victory has some secret sauce he'll do just fine. (and ask him for the leftovers for touching up minor rock chips that are sure to happen.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts