Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been asked several times. I just sold my Yamaha Venture. I had just under 100K miles on it with no major problems. Just ready to move onto FI and probably ABS. Now I need to figure out my best options for buying the Vision.

Do I buy new and have the comfort factor of the warranty? This would mean no money left for any upgrades for a while. I will be paying cash whether I buy new or used.

Or do I buy a low mileage 2010 (or maybe 2011) for half the price of new and go without the warranty. I want ABS. I have read about the transmissions in 2010 and earlier and I am fine with the more frequent oil changes and possibly more noise. The Venture had horrible clutch whine all the time and was very clunky, but I rode that almost 100K miles and got over the noises. The other good thing about buying used is that I will still have cash left over if I want to take it to Lloyds for some performance goodies.

So new with warranty or possible 2010 with no warranty and old style tranny, but enough cash left to have Lloyd work his magic?

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
I reckon go used with a good service/ maintenance record.
1. its already depreciated $$$-wise.
2. It's already well run in and ripe for Lloydz magik.
3. It may have a few bonus goodies already added.
4. Its stood the test of time.
5. I have a 2010 Vegas with no tranny issues, I change oil and filter around 4000 miles.
6.Not much really goes wrong with a Vic anyway , and by now anything that was gonna would've reared its ugly head.
7. Youll save enough dollars over new to really go the whole hog on modifications.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am sure this has been asked several times. I just sold my Yamaha Venture. I had just under 100K miles on it with no major problems. Just ready to move onto FI and probably ABS. Now I need to figure out my best options for buying the Vision.

I moved from a 2nd gen Venture to the CCT earlier this year, rode the vision but wasn't happy with storage. You are going to LOVE the difference in handling. The venture dad a better seat IMO.

I bought new, and at times I regret it as I had to finance most of it and could have bought used for cash and let someone else take the depreciation. But I have no other real hobbies and ride a good deal and I love the bike. It wasn't the smartest financial move, but I plan on getting at leat ten years out of it. My wife aughts that I ride a 20k bike and drive a 5k car.

Do what's best for you and your wallet, only you really can judge how much you can pay for what at least for most of us is a hobby not transportation.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I reckon go used with a good service/ maintenance record.
1. its already depreciated $$$-wise.
2. It's already well run in and ripe for Lloydz magik.
3. It may have a few bonus goodies already added.
4. Its stood the test of time.
5. I have a 2010 Vegas with no tranny issues, I change oil and filter around 4000 miles.
6.Not much really goes wrong with a Vic anyway , and by now anything that was gonna would've reared its ugly head.
7. Youll save enough dollars over new to really go the whole hog on modifications.
Bingo !thumb up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I moved from a 2nd gen Venture to the CCT earlier this year, rode the vision but wasn't happy with storage. You are going to LOVE the difference in handling. The venture dad a better seat IMO.

I bought new, and at times I regret it as I had to finance most of it and could have bought used for cash and let someone else take the depreciation. But I have no other real hobbies and ride a good deal and I love the bike. It wasn't the smartest financial move, but I plan on getting at leat ten years out of it. My wife aughts that I ride a 20k bike and drive a 5k car.

Do what's best for you and your wallet, only you really can judge how much you can pay for what at least for most of us is a hobby not transportation.
Mine was a 2nd Gen as well. I had a Corbin seat on it because I couldn’t stand the stock seat on it at all.

The storage on the Vision does not bother me a bit. The wife only rides a few day rides occasionally. On my trips, my saddlebags are nearly empty also. I usually have one duffelbag strapped to the seat and away I go. Very minimal for a week long trip.

As far as paying for it, as I said, I will be paying cash whether buying new or used. I have been saving up and riding high mileage bikes and cars for years. My wife gets a new Acura through work every 2-3 years and I continue to buy used 90K – 100K mile used vehicles for cheap and drive them for another 100K miles. Other than our home and utilities, we have no debt at all and our kid’s college fund is pretty well set up already and we still have 10 more years before the first one even graduates high school. My limit to spend is set at $18K. I know I can find a brand new at that price, but my concern is that if I wanted anything changed with it, I wouldn’t have the cash available to do it. If I buy used, I can do the performance upgrades and maybe a seat if I think I need it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like you know what you want and already have a good plan. The financial gurus will almost always say buying new to get warranty is bad investing. You already know that. Buy that used one and go ahead and let the magicians have at it!

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Or - Get new old stock thumb up

·
Registered
182 Posts
Look around the country, you can find deals. I found my brand new 2013 last fall for $15,999, with the 5 year warranty. I just had to go 900 miles round trip to get it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Best deal in motorcycling is a used victory. If you wait till winter and hawk Craig's list you will find some great deals.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i would never by a new motorcycle unless you just have money
to burn. in this day and age with all the search engines
availible if you look around long enough the bike you are
looking for will turn up and probably with alot of aftermarket
add ons.cheers

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
+1 on siska's post #5. I bought new cuz I saved for a long time and tend to keep cars and bikes 10+ years. My 2010 XR replaced a first gen 1992 Venture--see what I mean. No shame in buying used, I did it for decades and got great deals on wonderful vehicles. Good luck and you might want to test ride both a Vision and a CCT. They are different.

·
13,003 Posts
Not knowing where you live and if flying and buying something you would do. Might be a good deal. Most vision have the five year warranty and you can transfer into your name for a small price.
Vision does have a loud clunk going into first. You can put a lot of gear in a vision if you learn how to roll your closes up. 2011 and up has the new back cut gears making them a little quieter but you get more noise from the gears in the primary then the trans.
Headlights are a bitch to change bulbs. For the most part the vision is a great handling bike guys do say there is heat that come off the motor and you legs get hot a long with your ass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 on siska's post #5. I bought new cuz I saved for a long time and tend to keep cars and bikes 10+ years. My 2010 XR replaced a first gen 1992 Venture--see what I mean. No shame in buying used, I did it for decades and got great deals on wonderful vehicles. Good luck and you might want to test ride both a Vision and a CCT. They are different.
I have test ridden both and the Vision wins hands down for me. I am also a big guy at about 6'5" and 320 pounds. 36" inseam. The Vision fits me perfectly. I would love new, but the deals I have seen on used bikes with 10K miles or less make me think hard about the used market. And as I have said, having all that cash left over for performance upgrades is very appealing!! I know the problem of having to decide is a good one and luckily my wife backs me 100%. She wants to see me finally not be a cheapskate and buy something I really want this time.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think we all want the newest bikes we can find for the money we are willing to spend.

It all depends on what you want and you seem to have a good idea.

There are tons of bikes like this out there because for whatever reason, the PO wanted something else. You take your time and you will most likely find the right bike for the right money. There are some very good deals to be had. Bottom line, the less money you spend on the top end, the more you will have for doing upgrades.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think we all want the newest bikes we can find for the money we are willing to spend.

It all depends on what you want and you seem to have a good idea.

There are tons of bikes like this out there because for whatever reason, the PO wanted something else. You take your time and you will most likely find the right bike for the right money. There are some very good deals to be had. Bottom line, the less money you spend on the top end, the more you will have for doing upgrades.

I see guys who's bikes dyno at 110-120 HP. That is what I want. I want to be able to ride to Lloyds with cash in hand and head home a day or 2 later with a beast between my legs. And I know that the only way that is possible for me is to buy a leftover at a hell of a deal or used. And when I say used, as I said previously I am finding 09-11 with 10K miles or under for $9K to $12K. A lot less than new with not many miles at all. I think I just talked myself into what I am going to do!!!

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
What's neat about Victory is those performance upgrades come cheap compared to other makes. I have less than $500 in mods (no cams) and am pleased with the results. BTW, if you pre-load the shifter, you'll get smoother and quieter shifting. Also, adjust the lever so your foot just sneaks under the lever, even taking up some of the slack, for more positive shifts. Works for me!

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
I see guys who's bikes dyno at 110-120 HP. That is what I want. I want to be able to ride to Lloyds with cash in hand and head home a day or 2 later with a beast between my legs. And I know that the only way that is possible for me is to buy a leftover at a hell of a deal or used. And when I say used, as I said previously I am finding 09-11 with 10K miles or under for $9K to $12K. A lot less than new with not many miles at all. I think I just talked myself into what I am going to do!!!
Sounds like a great plan--keep us posted.cheers

·
Registered
168 Posts
You just described what I did. Except mines a cross roads ($8500) and I installed the parts myself, then took it to Loydz to be tuned. Best deal in motorcycling.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Great plan!!! a man with Vision!
10,000 miles is nicely broken in and ready to have your dreams woven in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts