Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really, really want to like this bike, honestly. But every time I turn around, there's something pissing me off about the thing. I have never in my life had such a hard time removing and installing an exhaust ! This is the most over engineered mouse trap in the world !! There is no reason that it should take this much f'n work !!! I literally hate Victory right now. I imagine I will be over it in a few hours, but jeezus !! What a huge pain in the ass ! Then to add to it, the instructions from RPW just totally suck ass ! I mean please, at least have the sizes right on the paper work ! And don't get me started on the pics !!! Then to top it of... two exhaust studs were stripped when I removed the stock exhaust, and I need to replace them, before I can even start the thing. I really am just regretting buying this thing.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
With what I have going on with mine right now, I feel the same way.
Hopefully my issues will be resolved tomorrow when I trailer it to the shop, but we'll see. With only 700 miles, I should not have to trailer it in for repairs, but....

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I really, really want to like this bike, honestly. But every time I turn around, there's something pissing me off about the thing. I have never in my life had such a hard time removing and installing an exhaust ! This is the most over engineered mouse trap in the world !! There is no reason that it should take this much f'n work !!! I literally hate Victory right now. I imagine I will be over it in a few hours, but jeezus !! What a huge pain in the ass ! Then to add to it, the instructions from RPW just totally suck ass ! I mean please, at least have the sizes right on the paper work ! And don't get me started on the pics !!! Then to top it of... two exhaust studs were stripped when I removed the stock exhaust, and I need to replace them, before I can even start the thing. I really am just regretting buying this thing.
Victory does not own RPW and is not responsible for their products or its installation instructions.

What was so hard about removing the pipe? What about it is "over engineered?"

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Takes 10 minutes to get the stock pipes on the ground, and you don't even have to remove the mufflers from the head pipes. What's so hard about that??
Can't blame Vic on RPW's inability to write instructions, but I do feel for ya with the stripped studs. Then again they have been holding a hot exhaust in place for several years

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
With what I have going on with mine right now, I feel the same way.
Hopefully my issues will be resolved tomorrow when I trailer it to the shop, but we'll see. With only 700 miles, I should not have to trailer it in for repairs, but....
What's wrong with yours? Let me guess, it's a problem with your fueling since you've added the non-Victory made PC-V?

·
Premium Member
562 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Takes 10 minutes to get the stock pipes on the ground, and you don't even have to remove the mufflers from the head pipes. What's so hard about that??
Can't blame Vic on RPW's inability to write instructions, but I do feel for ya with the stripped studs. Then again they have been holding a hot exhaust in place for several years
No way bro. I loosened, wiggled, pulled, lubed, etc, for an hour and a half. If I had a saws-all, I'd have cut those bastards off. And, this bike was brand new two months ago. Has less than 2000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
No way bro. I loosened, wiggled, pulled, lubed, etc, for an hour and a half. If I had a saws-all, I'd have cut those bastards off. And, this bike was brand new two months ago. Has less than 2000 miles on it now.
I don't think you're gonna win this argument...KevinX is a Victory dealer and he KNOWS his bikes. If he says 10 minutes...then it's 10 minutes for a Victory mechanic...now it might take me a little longer. LOL

But he knows his bikes!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Exhaust tough to remove good, that means that you didn't have leaks. Striped studs, it sucks but it happens but normally only where they go through to exhaust. Without knowing your experiance or capabilities it is impossible to know what you tried or how many bikes you've tried to do the same on.

You definately can't blaim Victory for pipes they didn't make and blaiming them for crappy instructions they had no part in is absurd.

KevinX is the most well known Victory mechanic in the world so if he can do it in 10 minutes you'ld be doing very well to do it in twice that time.

I doubt anyone is trying to ding you, mock you or insult you and I understand you're pi$$ed but you have to understand that if you complain on a Victory forum you'll find few people that will support you and many that will tease you. I highly suggest redirecting that anger you've built up into an email to RPW. While you're annotating each of the discrepancies in their instructions try to keep your tact (or you'll never get a response) and you'll probably find yourself calming as you type. Whatever you do don't get on the bike until you're over your fit.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I really, really want to like this bike, honestly.... I have never in my life had such a hard time removing and installing an exhaust ! ...the instructions from RPW just totally suck ass !
Sounds like you have some valid grips with RPW. Good thing there are other exhaust options. Kind of surprised you didn't just return them for a credit and pick up a different pipe. At least you don't have any issues with Victory themselves...thumb up

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like you have some valid grips with RPW. Good thing there are other exhaust options. Kind of surprised you didn't just return them for a credit and pick up a different pipe. At least you don't have any issues with Victory themselves...thumb up
I'm no mechanic and I installed my RPW slash pipes without an issue. I'm thinking he would have the same problem with another brand since he had problems just getting the stock pipes off....

·
Registered
36 Posts
RPW and Power Commander

As an avid shade tree mechanic I attacked the exhaust, Power Commander install, handlebar install, grip and hand control installs myself. The exhaust were easy bolt off bolt on, mine had 2000 miles before I installed the RPW exhaust. I really wanted to burn my Jackpot after 7 hours of installing the power commander. To their credit the instructions do say its challenging. But I hah the guys at Dyno Jet load my Power Commander III before they shipped it to me. Hell I liked it so much I installed the same get up on my wife Vegas. The second time it only took 5 years, bought the tools they recommended. Anyway I know how ya feel, my exhaust studs were stripped also. Used to have the same feeling changing exhaust studs on my 1969 Dodge Charger 440 Six Pack. Till I got done then the ride was killer, just like our Victorys. Wheres the Charger now, well it went to that big shade tree in the sky...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
For the next guy. Exhaust removal made easy.....
Remove three bolts holding oil cooler in place
Remove two bolts holding right foot control in place
Remove o2 sensors
Remove the two bolts tha secure the muffler bracket to the cast bracket on swing arm bolt.
Loosen the clamp securing the front head pipe to the rear head pipe.
Remove nuts from exhaust studs.
Rotate rear of assembly out; pivoting the head pipes on the slip joint at the loosened clamp
Slide flanges off the studs
Lift assembly from the rear up and out to clear the rear cyl
Rotate pipe up to get the front pipe out between the frame and engine.
Exhaust remains as one complete assembly, and only one clamp was loosened. Mufflers are still secured to their mount plate

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the next guy. Exhaust removal made easy.....
Remove three bolts holding oil cooler in place
Remove two bolts holding right foot control in place
Remove o2 sensors
Remove the two bolts tha secure the muffler bracket to the cast bracket on swing arm bolt.
Loosen the clamp securing the front head pipe to the rear head pipe.
Remove nuts from exhaust studs.
Rotate rear of assembly out; pivoting the head pipes on the slip joint at the loosened clamp
Slide flanges off the studs
Lift assembly from the rear up and out to clear the rear cyl
Rotate pipe up to get the front pipe out between the frame and engine.
Exhaust remains as one complete assembly, and only one clamp was loosened. Mufflers are still secured to their mount plate
Thanks, Kevin. Really, I appreciate your knowledge and experience, a lot. This forum was one of the things that sort of convinced me to go Victory. That's why I'm venting here. The bike works fine, but the whole experience of owning a Victory has been a huge disappointment for me. I don't enjoy much of anything about it. NO dealer in my area is even slightly knowledgable of anything I ask about. I haven't had one good experience with buying and adding accessories yet. And thats just the start of this for me. Its nothing like I would like it to be. I am glad you all are loving it. Honestly. But as of tonight, there's an 09 kingpin 8b for sale. And I'm moving on. Sorry I can't see the value you guys do. Sorry too for pissing at the beer party.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And, yeah. Maybe the problem with the exhaust was me. But the past two bikes I owned never gave me even a slight struggle. But yes. It is my fault the headers didn't just fall out from the mufflers like Kevin said. And yes it probably was my fault that the frame rail needs cut to instal an after market pipe(stupidest thing I have ever seen). And yes it is my fault the down tube on the frame is so ridiculously close to the motor that you have to remove the oil cooler to do exhaust work. It's all becoming very clear to me now. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Too bad about your bad experience with Vic. If I had the cash for another bike right now I would began negotiations immediately as I want a steel frame bike and was thinking about a Kingpin 8 ball.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Had a 67 Camaro SS had to lift the engine out to put the last bolt in. Now that is a design flaw. Personally I would give the bike a month. Love mine and like Ringo said "if you want to sing the blues you got to pay some dues". Good luck

1 - 20 of 50 Posts