Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've narrowed my exhaust choice down to the Atom Bombs, but I have some questions and concerns before I pull the trigger.

What else will I need to do to the bike to get the best results. They are telling me most people run a Lloydz controller and a high flow air filter. If I do this will I still need to take it to the dealer to get it remapped, or a stage 1? Is there a more suitable choice for these pipes other than the Lloydz controller. As you can tell I'm new to the aftermarket exhaust game so any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I think I've narrowed my exhaust choice down to the Atom Bombs, but I have some questions and concerns before I pull the trigger.

What else will I need to do to the bike to get the best results. They are telling me most people run a Lloydz controller and a high flow air filter. If I do this will I still need to take it to the dealer to get it remapped, or a stage 1? Is there a more suitable choice for these pipes other than the Lloydz controller. As you can tell I'm new to the aftermarket exhaust game so any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
I misunderstood your post, now I have to call the FBI and say never mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the Atom Bombs. I like them. No need for a reflash or fuel controller. I have the Victory performance filter, removed the rubber strip and disconnected the O2 sensor. There's a slight popping on up shifts but nothing bad. If you're planning additional engine mods, then get the Power Commander V. The pipes have a nice rumble but are not annoyingly loud.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have the Atom Bombs. I like them. No need for a reflash or fuel controller. I have the Victory performance filter, removed the rubber strip and disconnected the O2 sensor. There's a slight popping on up shifts but nothing bad. If you're planning additional engine mods, then get the Power Commander V. The pipes have a nice rumble but are not annoyingly loud.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

What is the difference between the Lloydz and the Power Commnander? Good to know that I won't need a remap or anything right away. What hgappens if you keep the O2 sensor connected with the Atom Bombs?

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's my understanding that if all you're doing is the pipes you don't need to do anything else. Personally, I put pipes on mine, not atom bombs, and I have done nothing else and have no issues, only popped 1 time and that was cold and I had to do some cage avoiding and noticed a pop. When I get around to doing a filter swap then I'll look into a programer.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
...What hgappens if you keep the O2 sensor connected with the Atom Bombs?
Regardless of what pipes are on, keeping the O² sensors connected will just have you running leaner and hotter. Not good for the engine, but good for the environment. The choice of disconnecting is yours. If you do it, it only takes 2 minutes, and no tools required (see instructions with pictures here). If you don't do it, you'll always wonder how much you could have prolonged the life of that motor. Or maybe you won't wonder, but you should. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regardless of what pipes are on, keeping the O² sensors connected will just have you running leaner and hotter. Not good for the engine, but good for the environment. The choice of disconnecting is yours. If you do it, it only takes 2 minutes, and no tools required (see instructions with pictures here). If you don't do it, you'll always wonder how much you could have prolonged the life of that motor. Or maybe you won't wonder, but you should. ;)
Good to know. Will I get any engine codes if they are disconnected? What impact will having them disconnected will there be if riding at different altitudes. I spend a lot of time riding from the valley up through the Sierra's so this is a concern for me. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Good to know. Will I get any engine codes if they are disconnected? What impact will having them disconnected will there be if riding at different altitudes. I spend a lot of time riding from the valley up through the Sierra's so this is a concern for me. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.
All you're doing is forcing the ECM to run on a slightly richer mixture (not rich by far - your motor will still be lean, but not extremely lean, as it comes from the shelf). The engine likes running richer and cooler, and will last longer. You will not get a check engine line due to O² sensors being disconnected.

And if you do add a fuel controller, disconnecting the O² sensors is a must, as the ECM and controller will end up correcting each other - one fighting for optimum mixture and one fighting for ideal pollution standards.

O² sensors are not the eyes, but rather the magnifying glass that allows the ECM to keep your engine running on the very edge between sanity, and lean enough to cause damage. Removing those glasses forces the ECM to keep a safer (richer) mixture, and not worry about keeping your bike at it's lowest possible emissions level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts