Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm set to join the Victory-Gang, with a new 2011 Cross Roads! Woo hoo.

Planning on a cash purchase, unless by January 2011 a 0% financing deal shows up - I highly doubt it, so going the cash way.

I am on track with my savings (I'm at a lil' over $10k right now). My time frame will be in the first two weeks of January, whenever I am able to land a good deal. Not planning to trade anything in.

My concern falls within pricing and any negotiating tools you guys might want to suggest to me. I am willing to travel a bit from Costa Mesa, CA, but not too far - unless the deal is worth the travel, in which case, Alaska, here I come!

Any suggestions and advise are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good luck on your search and you are a wise man to pay cash (no debt)...

I would venture to guess you could find a decent deal on a Cross Roads seeing that the Cross Country' are what seem to be the HOT ticket right now...January is a good time to make a deal as the sales are slow that time of year.

Good luck and post some pictures when you get her!!! cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
I posted this somewhere else, so pardon the repeat if you have seen it before.

Quote-I just got an email from a new dealer in OR. He said that Victory "helps dealers sell a bike with special offers after a demo". He means a Fuel-It demo, and the discounts are about $2K. That should help you decide to buy one after a demo deal. Just because I can spend $18K is OK, but $16K is better, so I will wait to buy one at a demo-deal. I plan to buy new, so $2K less makes sense to me. I don't do payments or interest and resist any impulse buying - it costs too much that way. I mentioned the demo-deal because of the $2K discount. It sort of sucks to have to wait, but I want a 2011 and the color ones will not be around until about 3-4 months anyway.

If you are interested in the trunk, get a 2011. The 2010 needs another $300 of retrofit stuff to make it work. Also, if you want the trunk, make a deal with the dealer for 15-20% off of accessories for 3-6 months after you buy a CC. (or CR) Buy the trunk after you buy the CC. You then have the cover piece when the trunk isn't there and don't have to buy it seperate when you don't want the trunk on. If you are persistant with the dealer before you buy, most will give you the discount- you just have to ask for it.

It is especially cool to walk in with actual cash and see the dealer scramble for it. Expensive bikes have the same problem of cars - don't mix apples and oranges. Negotiate the best price on the bike you want. Then, if you have it, add a trade-in. Sure, if you have a trade-in, be prepared for less on it because you will be paying the flooring and effort to sell it instead of doing it yourself. Get your financing before you go looking - like your credit union or whatever. Don't mix all 3 to come up with a "payment". It is sure to be more expensive just to satisfy your "I want it now" syndrome.

FWIW- the new trans replaces the 2010 trans, so the future is with the 2011 trans as being more common for future repair. I have not heard of any problems with the straight-cut gears of the '10, but the bevel '11 gears are quieter. If you come from a water-cooled bike, any air-oil cooled bike will be louder mechanically - and for me I like quiet more. Maybe not as quiet as a Honda GW, but certainly NOT loud.

Of course, you have to find where the demo trucks are and then get off the couch/chair away from the PC and go to it. The color 2011s (non-black) won't be around for another 3-4 months anyway, so you could plan ahead.

Demo sked: http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory-Motorcycles/Demo-Rides/Pages/EventSchedule.aspx
endQuote**
---------
added: I have been using email to find a dealer. One dealer offered $1000 + 10% on accessories. I haven't been there yet, but will visit in Oct. Let's see if they will move the % up and what the rest of the deal is. Others have said you should be able to get a bike OTD (out-the-door) for what is listed as a sticker price - which would include prep, shipping, tax, useless doc fees and so on.

I have the pile of $100s and will wait for a few months if I have to - it will be winter soon anyway, so I can wait.

I will post what I find.

eta moya dva rubles

·
Registered
67 Posts
Added thought: OR has no sales tax. A CA bike will have emmission stuff on it for CA. You can usually find the same stuff in NV, as dealers swap stock with CA. I am not a fan of CA spec bikes or cars and don't need it here. The CA requirement would put a wrinkle in going out of CA for a bike.

Licensing in your home state may charge you sales tax, so if yours is less than, say NV, it might work out OK. WA is pretty high at 9% (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) IIRC from ZZedmonds.

eta moya dva rubles

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

white_bear: If they do give $2k off the demo days are going to be worth jumping through the hoop. I hope I won't have to travel too far for them - right now the closest one to me is 6 hours away. But then again, my time frame is January, not October. I will keep an eye on that to see if they decide to pay me a visit in late December, or January. My question to you is: How sure are you about this $2k off deal? Is there anything written about this anywhere? I would hate to travel somewhere for a demo ride just for the heck of it. :)

Out of State Sales Tax
As far as sales tax, as long as it works the same on bikes as it does on cars, you pay sales tax in the state where you register the bike. You cannot pay sales tax in the state you purchase it from. That's the way it is for cars, but I never bought a bike out of state, so I cannot write this in stone.

My Strategy
I will keep an eye for a cold rainy day in January, and pop my head into all local Victory dealers (3 of them on a 50mi radius), and see if any of them are desperate to move a unit on a dead day.

Any other suggestions, ideas or information is more than welcomed!

·
Registered
67 Posts
This some of the printed stuff I find on Victory "Demo" discounts. I have been to a few dealers and some of them appear to be quite obstinant. Others, like some here (in UT) are willing to deal. For example, if the Boise dealer is off by 10% on accessories, and perhaps that on the bike price, will they be willing to deal to get a sale. I don't know
yet. Maybe January or February is a better time to pressure for a good deal. Once the snow flies I am willing to wait as long as it takes.

It appears that the $1000 coupon deal from Victory is for everyone who attends a Demo
Fuel-It event. I think you can still work out more on discounts for assessories.
Demo at Big Boy Toys, Salt Lake City area: This was verbal while talking to sales manager: At this SLC dealer you would get $1000 off the bike and a free $1000 of accessories if you ordered/bought one in 10 days. I noticed that the price of the bike was $1000 less than ID, so maybe this was the $ off the bike itself. I would have done so, but I needed another 4 months to get the bucks together - I don't do payments. Dealers are Very friendly and the factory guys will anser any question you can think of. There was a cutaway motor-trans and all sorts of stuff.

Natch, they served hotdogs, hamburgers, pop, juice, and water to everyone.
In print from dealer Motor-Vation, Mechanicsburg, PA- 2011 models on Monday August 23, Tuesday August 24, and Wednesday August 25. Plus, as an added bonus for demo rides, Victory will also give our customers, who complete a demo ride, a $1,000 coupon to put toward a new purchase of a Victory. Make sure to mark your calendars and stop by Motor-Vation for a demo and a $1,000 coupon.
Carls Cycle in Boise, ID- The Victory Demo day is here Fri October 8th only. It is not on the schedule because we just secured that date with Victory last week. On that day you will receive $1000 towords accessories in addition to any other discount you will receive. In response to the Taller windshield, When you buy the bike you will receive
15% off all accessories at time of purchase. Along with that , you will be a VIP customer and receive a Gold Card good for 10% off every accessory for one year.

----------
Someone here or on thevog.net has said that 20% discount on parts and access. is nearly a done deal at most good Vic shops. I tend to agree. If you don't ask for something then for sure you won't get it handed to you. If you go into a dealer and know what you are talking about you can get somewhere. Cripes, even HondaToledo, Ohio lists OEM Victory accessories at 12-15% off with no shipping over $100 ordered! Get your ducks in a row and challenge all the typical dealer crap. Use the internet to help you find what you want for a lower price. It only takes patience and
motivation.

I am not sure about all the sales tax deals, maybe someone else knows?

eta moya dva rubles

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel-It demo coming to town

Well, a Fuel-It demo is coming to my area (20 miles away from home - can't ask for anything more). Unfortunately, they're coming way too soon (Oct 29th through Oct 31st, 2010) since my purchase window is January 2011.

I've signed up anyways, and will go check it out and report back on whatever will or will not be offered to me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to the forums and will likely be buying a 2011 CR in a few months (when my Warrior sells). I am also curious as to what people paid for theirs, and what is a good deal.

Usually this is easy to figure out with cars, as you can just pull invoice off Edmunds. But I've found no resource for bikes.

So, what's a good deal off MSRP???

Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm new to the forums and will likely be buying a 2011 CR in a few months (when my Warrior sells). I am also curious as to what people paid for theirs, and what is a good deal.

Usually this is easy to figure out with cars, as you can just pull invoice off Edmunds. But I've found no resource for bikes.

So, what's a good deal off MSRP???

Thanks!
Best advise I can give you is to shop around. Visit the local dealers, show interest in the bike you want, and tell them if the price is right you're going to ride it home. Get them excited about making a sale. Then see how low they're willing to go. Hopefuly you have more than one dealer in your area so you can negotiate with them.

Prices vary, and are influenced by factors that are not always in your hands: dealership's stock (low stock, less negotiation room), dealership's financial status (when they have to make a sale, they will take more off to make it happen), etc. Even when shopping for cars, Edmunds just gives you an idea of what invoice is or what others are paying on average - doesn't mean you can't get a better deal than that, nor does it mean you will get what Edmunds sais you could get. ;)

Don't be shy. Visit the dealers, call them, talk to them. The more interested you are, the more serious you appear, the more time and effort they'll spend with you to make the deal happen.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Best advise I can give you is to shop around. Visit the local dealers, show interest in the bike you want, and tell them if the price is right you're going to ride it home. Get them excited about making a sale. Then see how low they're willing to go. Hopefuly you have more than one dealer in your area so you can negotiate with them.

Prices vary, and are influenced by factors that are not always in your hands: dealership's stock (low stock, less negotiation room), dealership's financial status (when they have to make a sale, they will take more off to make it happen), etc. Even when shopping for cars, Edmunds just gives you an idea of what invoice is or what others are paying on average - doesn't mean you can't get a better deal than that, nor does it mean you will get what Edmunds sais you could get. ;)

Don't be shy. Visit the dealers, call them, talk to them. The more interested you are, the more serious you appear, the more time and effort they'll spend with you to make the deal happen.
Thanks, I'll have to do that. I've gone to one dealer twice now for demo days that is about 50 minutes away. The other dealers are over an hour in opposite directions from my house, so it's not easy for me to drop by.

Once I sell my Warrior and get my own financing all lined up, I'll start calling around. According to the Victory inventory website, all the dealers in my area have CRs in stock. Not too much in a hurry right now because we are about to get a ton of snow :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to do that. I've gone to one dealer twice now for demo days that is about 50 minutes away. The other dealers are over an hour in opposite directions from my house, so it's not easy for me to drop by.

Once I sell my Warrior and get my own financing all lined up, I'll start calling around. According to the Victory inventory website, all the dealers in my area have CRs in stock. Not too much in a hurry right now because we are about to get a ton of snow :(
Go to Randy's in Marengo. I did a lot of research before I chose a dealer and I am so happy I chose them. They are down-to-earth, fair and knowledgeable. Tell them Pete sent you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Go to Randy's in Marengo. I did a lot of research before I chose a dealer and I am so happy I chose them. They are down-to-earth, fair and knowledgeable. Tell them Pete sent you.
Thanks Pete. Randy's is actually where I went to the two demo rides. They do seem like a friendly bunch. Could you give me an idea of how you did on pricing if you don't mind? Please feel free to PM me if you are not comfortable listing in thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cover piece?

"Buy the trunk after you buy the CC. You then have the cover piece when the trunk isn't there and don't have to buy it seperate when you don't want the trunk on."

white_bear,
Could you elaborate a little bit on that comment? I wasn't aware that there's a cover piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts