Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever bought a bike off the internet without ever seeing it in person ? Did it workout for you ? Was thinking of buying the bike from a dealer and having it shipped to me. For those that have done this is there anything to look out for or any special question to ask.. Having a hard time spending 10 to 15K on something I've never seen.

·
Registered
781 Posts
On balance- I think you are safer buying sight unseen from a real brick and mortar dealer, yes. However- even the most reputable dealers are unlikely to tear the motor down and inspect it, so obviously there is always a chance something can happen.

(If they are suspect about the powertrain- they might just avoid the high risk sale & take it to auction).

Make sure you do your due dilligence, though. (VIN checks, complete inspection by hi def video if need be.. Any chance you can get to the bike and do a checkride? Know someone close to it that can?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
buying off internet

I bought a 2010 Victory Vegas Low last year from a dealer of Royal Infield in Fort Worth Texas. I live in Georgia but drove to Texas and picked up bike, Only saw pictures but there were a lot of pictures. I talked to salesman over phone for about a week. They had papers and bike ready when I arrived. Looked over bike, ran it up the road some, loaded it in truck and brought it home. Have not had any issues with bike so far(other than nailing a deer on it). The only questions I asked were had it been wrecked and how tall was the seat:) I'm 5'6". Would have sucked to get out there and not be able reach handlebars from a seated position. Overall this worked out good for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought two, sold one. Both that I bought were from private owners on Craigs list. The first one was absolutely perfect ++ from Arizona [I'm in Ohio] The second one had one nick not disclosed by the seller...[no big deal] from Florida...No problems on either as far as purchase / delivery on part of the seller.

Sold one on ebay shipped to Texas, no problems except it was @ Christmas time , and that slowed delivery for the buyer, but he was patient and it arrived just fine.

My only warning ? be sure of the shippers method !!! The one from Arizona arrived on a cold snowy day here...and {I} had to hold it on the liftgate that was icy, while the driver lowered it,.. the gate dropped bout two inches...me motorcycle & all damn near came tumbling down. NEVER again...

I told the second shipper...I want it delivered & set on the ground by your driver....and it was.

Cost ...Arizona $450, Fla $350...for some reason shipping to Texas was more expensive for that buyer...$600.

·
13,251 Posts
Has anyone ever bought a bike off the internet without ever seeing it in person ? Did it workout for you ? Was thinking of buying the bike from a dealer and having it shipped to me. For those that have done this is there anything to look out for or any special question to ask.. Having a hard time spending 10 to 15K on something I've never seen.
Your not telling us enough information. Is it a new bike. How many miles on it.
Is it to far away you can't fly and ride it home or even rent a truck and see it first before buying it. It could be cheaper going to get the bike then have them ship it and have it damaged

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It was more of a generic question. I haven't found a bike yet was just wondering how practical it was.
Live in VA and bought mine through cycle trader from a dealer in Tenn sight unseen. Got plenty of pics sent to me, was ready with deposit and finished the sale over the phone. Bike had 1 little scratch and dealer waved some labor on 1 accy so came out ahead. My only headache was a signed original odometer statement from dealer and the process of waiting on VA DMV getting the title transfer from Tenn. flew down and rode it back. Biggest headache was the canceled flight delayed me by 6 hours. Would do it again and saved at least 3G over best price in region. Good luck

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
close to shipping

i came close to buying on-line wanting a Hammer-S, but getting a great deal on a preowned 13 + trading my hardly at a hardly dealer no less only 60 miles away. i searched for months as there were no new hammers at any of the dealers in a 100 mile radius, i got lucky for sure

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I would have no trouble buying new from a dealer but it is not as simple as it may seem. If I buy in some states I get to pay their local sales tax and then when I go to register the bike here I get to pay my local sales tax. Depending on the deal it might still be worth it but know what you are getting into before you commit to buy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If it was EXACTLY what you were looking for, still had a good amount of FACTORY warranty, seller was NOT private (for peace of mind, no offence to any would be private sellers), (and therefore) if the seller checked out (ratings online or what have you), I would CONSIDER buying unseen.

That being said...I bought my judge unridden. Small dealer here, less than 1000km on her (by the dealer), $4000 off. It was february, had ridden a vegas, came in for a vegas. I loved the Judge the second I sat on it. But it was february in Canada. I've been told, never buy a bike you haven't ridden. Glad I didn't listen THIS time.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
It was more of a generic question. I haven't found a bike yet was just wondering how practical it was.
ok speaking generically...I flew 1200 miles and rode my Vegas home after a phone call satisfied me the bloke was fair dinkum (above board, a straight shooter) I put a grand in his bank and flew down with the cash, that way you get a nice roadtrip as a bonus:)
bought my XS650 the same way after strategic questions I already knew the answers too like "does the XS leak oil?" now if he had said no I would have known he was bullshitting cos all old XSs leak oil, :)
does the electric start work? (they rarely do and only when bikes hot, uneccesary anyway they got a kicker and tuned up start first or second kick)
problem with Vics is theres no real common failings:D that you can suss out the sellers integrity over.
Ive sold a few cars and my old K2 Honda bobber over the net and the buyers arranged transport and never had any complaints , but hey Im a straight up sorta bloke and give honest descriptions and dont sell ****.
You pays yr money and ya takes yr chances.
everyone these days seems to want guarantees and not take responsibility for their own actions.
Personally Id be flying to do the deal if it looks good on paper, get the price of the flight knocked off the deal.

·
Registered
426 Posts
found mine online, drove 6 hrs one way for my jackpot, then 5.5 hrs (the next town over) for my XC.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Bought mine off craigslist and had my brother drive an hour to go look at it. Then used Uship to get it to me(1000 miles). Everything worked out great. Private party I wouldn't do without having someone trust worthy to look at it. Dealer I probably would check their BBB rating and whatever reviews you can find plus lots of pictures.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've seen in some riding communities where one distant member would go check out a bike for another member in situations like this.

I'd think the prerequisite would be that both parties were established members who knew each other though, at least through online discussion.

I think I'd be comfortable doing a local test ride and giving an opinion for another member if they asked me to, although I'm no mechanic so I wouldn't offer any technical evaluation beyond just the ride observation.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I've seen in some riding communities where one distant member would go check out a bike for another member in situations like this.

I'd think the prerequisite would be that both parties were established members who knew each other though, at least through online discussion.

I think I'd be comfortable doing a local test ride and giving an opinion for another member if they asked me to, although I'm no mechanic so I wouldn't offer any technical evaluation beyond just the ride observation.
Yeah thats fair enough too!
Actually theres a bloke a few streets up from me who brings a lot of those 'other' bikes over here to OZ, he can do me a good deal to get a bike from there to here, and Ive seen some nice ones come up on here lately.
Not that I'm cashed up yet, plus Id need to get em to the west coast.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
[/ATTACH] I have bought two new bikes, one on EBAY which I went to pick up with now problems. And the other I bought and had shipped with out seeing it. Just have to be careful. I think you get a better deal on the internet than you do going to the dealer. I keep all email transactions , print them out for reverence.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts