Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding to the store yesterday. I started out and everything was as normal. As I made my first stop at a stop sign I was a couple back. So of course I left it in gear. So when I came to a stop the bike wanted to keep moving forward even with the clutch all the way in. I noticed it was also a lot harder to shift. So I turned around and went home. Even when the bike is off and in gear. I pulled the clutch in to move it and it's like it's hanging up. It moves. But takes a lot more to move it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
needs adjustment...youve got excessive freeplay by the sound of it.
here's the full rundown, do it with the bike cold.
http://youtu.be/k_iS2OutTxw

·
12,970 Posts
In your owners book it will give you the specks
To tight is just as bad as to loose

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
I bought it used and didn't get a manual with it. There's no play in the handle. But the way it acts it's telling me it's not tight enough

Book is actually a download on here or you can buy a disc on eBay like I did before I found out I could get it free here.
From your grabby symptoms first described and your recent disclosure of zero freeplay at the 'handle' ....I think you may have more than simple adjustment problems.
Might be best to get it to a dealer or a competent mechanic for a hands on opinion.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I tried loosening the cable to give the lever slack. Didn't really change anything. So I tried tightening it down even farther. I had 0 play in the lever. And that didn't make a difference. I road it around my driveway both times trying give it a chance to adjust.

I did notice now that it's really hard to get into gear when it's off now tho. Both before I changed anything and after.

I'm guessing the clutch is going. But I don't want to overlook something small.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motorbikerx thanks for the video. It didn't show your 2nd text till after I sent my last reply. My guess it's probably the clutch going out. So I'm going to prob order up a barnet scorpion clutch and replace it hopefully before winter. It's the same style as my old GSXR750R that I had to change. So I'm not to worried. I was just hoping that it was something basic so I could get more than 2,200 miles in this year.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Just out of interest what exactly are you riding and how many miles has it done.
Keep us updated on the outcome thx

Just a thought if the cable was actually stretched it would exhibit those symptoms wouldnt it? Wonders if the cables actually do stretch that much?

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Clutch cable adjustments are done overnight cold. You need just a tad of cable slack--about 1/8" gap where the lever and perch converge when you gently pull on the lever to take up the slack. Furschtant?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
05 victory hammer. 20,000 miles. And putting slack in the cable didn't help. And my guess is it's done cold so you don't burn yourself like I did a couple times.
And I don't think it's stretched. I was sitting on it while adjusting it. So I was able to watch it adjust.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
05 victory hammer. 20,000 miles. And putting slack in the cable didn't help. And my guess is it's done cold so you don't burn yourself like I did a couple times.
And I don't think it's stretched. I was sitting on it while adjusting it. So I was able to watch it adjust.

Stone cold overnight, you watched the video?

Shouldnt be worn out at 20,000 , try doing it cold as per the vid,

·
12,970 Posts
MAINTENANCE
Clutch
Adjust Clutch Cable Freeplay
1. Remove the right side cover.
2 Hold cable (1) and loosen the adjuster jam nut (2).
3 Turn cable adjuster (3) while holding cable.
4 Turn the cable adjuster in or out until the clutch lever freeplay (A)
is .020-.040 inch (.5-1.0 mm).
5 Tighten the adjuster jam nut securely while holding cable.
6. Reinstall right side cover.
7. Verify that the safety switch activates so the motorcycle cannot
be started in gear with clutch lever released.
NOTE: The starter interlock switch is dependent on the clutch lever
freeplay being set correctly to ensure activation of the clutch safety

·
12,970 Posts
Squeeze the clutch lever toward the
handlebar and release it. It should
move freely and smoothly, and it
should return to the rest position
quickly when released. If the lever
fails to perform as stated, service the
clutch lever before riding.
2. Freeplay (gap) is the amount of lever
movement from the rest position to
the point of cable resistance. Clutch
lever freeplay should be 0.5-1.5 mm.
Measure the gap between the clutch
lever and the lever housing. Adjust
clutch lever freeplay if necessary. See
page 57.
Lever
Housing Clutch
0.5-1.5 mm Lever
Freeplay

·
Registered
504 Posts
You got way too much info coming at you from all directions.

First thing to understand is what is happening:

Your description suggests that the CLUTCH discs are NOT disengaging enough to let you shift or in other words to be "totally separated" while you have the lever pulled in.

If you think of the clutch lever on the bars as the means to separate the clutch discs, this may be easier to understand all the other stuff.

The lever pulls a cable which pulls another lever down on the motor. when the lever is totally let go (no pull) the clutch plates are ENGAGED. and moving with the engine. When you pull the lever it DISENGAGES the clutch plates so you can shift or stop forward movement.

Having 'freeplay' (1/8") at the lever assures that the plates can fully ENGAGE. As soon as you begin to pull the lever you should feel the clutch start to slip and hear it in the engine (your engine rpms start to raise) because now your motor is going faster then your drive gear.

So it is not worn out - If your clutch plates were worn out they would be SLIPPING not GRABBING.... you see the difference ?

It sounds to me that you are not getting enough PULL on that motor lever to disengage the clutch. Check both ends of the cable to see if that little lead end is not slipping when the cable is pulled. Or something has happened with the clutch adjustment inside the motor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just tried it again. Following the directions you just gave. It didn't make a difference. I also tried going full tight with it. I tightened it down till it was fully in. And at that point while it was in gear it still acted the same with the clutch in or out. So I must have something internally broken. A disc may have sheered apart or maybe broke a spring.

And I know 20,000 isn't that high to be out. But I had to change my rocket at 7,000. I don't dump the clutch at 3k. But I do go wide open throttle every time I take off. I'm normally racing a Harley or a FZ8.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I called the local victory mechanic. He says if the previous owner didn't run victory oil. It most likely ruined the clutch. He said try changing the oil to victory. It may fix the problem. But if not the clutch is shot.

·
Registered
318 Posts
PTC, even though I am having no problems with my clutch, or lever or cable, excellent description of the process for the less than mechanically inclined such as myself. Thx.cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts