Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black victory vegas . Just had some ghost flames to it and had it reclear coated , which now brings me back to the same problem that ihhad before. Those fine scratches that appear in the clear coat especially on dark colors , and can happen just from normal washing.
Someone recommended the california duster . Its suppose to clean without water to a just washed look with no scratching. But i cant seem to find much info. Anyone have any luck with this product? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
duster

Dave, I have a California duster and it works great on dust
and light dirt and have never had it scratch anything, I would
recommend it, the dirtier it gets the better it seems to work.
I got mine at a bike rally years ago but I think I've seen them
at Wal-mart or any auto parts store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go to your local magazine store and look for either Cars and Parts or Hemmings Motor News. They will have a full color page ad with the California Duster in there. Get the 1-800-number and you are good to go. Both mags are great if you decide to buy.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Hey Dave

I have been a hobbiest detailer for 25+ years. The California duster is fantastic but ONLY if you use it correctly. It is just what its name implies a DUSTER.

If you use it as a cleaner you will scratch the paint. Always use it lightly across the surface of the paint. You may have to make a few passes in one spot. Also shake it out OFTEN.

Its not the duster itself that scratches but the debris picked up by the duster that scratches.

I use the small dashboard duster. Its much easier to manuever compared to the car duster.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I will only say that when you drag something dry across paint it will scratch. I think the Cal duster has some type of paraffin wax built in. I would NEVER drag it across black, ever.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Dragging is a good terminology for what a lot of people do with these dusters and end up with scratches.

All of my vehicles have been black. I am very anal about the appearance of my vehicles. The California Duster really is a great product. I've never scratched, not even hairline scratches from using it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dragging is a good terminology for what a lot of people do with these dusters and end up with scratches.

All of my vehicles have been black. I am ver anal about the appearance of my vehicles. The California Duster really is a great product. I've never scratched, not even hairline scratches from using it.
Like you, about everything I have ever owned and still own is black. In my youth I used a Cal duster on a daily basis, I also would use a Cal blade for drying. When you look at paint with a light like a 3M Sun Gun I think you would be amazed at what you see. I now use a Metro Air Dryer to dry anything black both my car and bike. I stand by saying I would NEVER use a Cal Duster. They cause scratches.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use those Swiffer dusters you get at the dollar store. Cheap, disposable and small to get in and around wheels and tight areas.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I actually tried the swifter for the wheels but they didn't pick up as well. I have 2 California Dusters. One for the wheels the other for the tins.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a black victory vegas . Just had some ghost flames to it and had it reclear coated , which now brings me back to the same problem that ihhad before. Those fine scratches that appear in the clear coat especially on dark colors , and can happen just from normal washing.
Someone recommended the california duster . Its suppose to clean without water to a just washed look with no scratching. But i cant seem to find much info. Anyone have any luck with this product? Thanks
I have been using one for too many years. They are only good for when your bike or car is only dusty not for the dirty stuff like after a rain. Don't get the ones from Walmart because sometimes they are not the real deal. Check the link below if you want to purchase they from the company that started them.

http://www.calcarcover.com/product_list.aspx?cid=101

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would sugget you goto a website that covers this and detailing motorcycles.

chopperdetailing.com

I would recomend using a micro fiber towel only and after washing it(not with water), use the maguires new nxt liquid wax. takes out alot of the swirlies and gives your bike a deeper rich look.

·
Registered
91 Posts
check out chopper detailing.com for advice on cleaning your bike. I also used the maguires nxt liquid wax and it took out 90% of the swirlies. Do not use water and only use a micro fiber towel on your bike.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Actually the NXT doesn't take out anything. It fills in the swirls. BIG DIFFERENCE.

If you want to literally take out the swirls you have to use a polish.

Waxes, like NXT (which by the way I really like) fill in swirls. They are also great after a thorough polishing!!

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
I use the NXT too. I've noticed that applying more than once gives the paint a deeper look like another coat of clear has been applied.

Try applying it to just the tank for several days in a row to see if you see a difference.

I've never used it but most car guys seem to think the Zaino system is best for black with the clay and all. I dunno but I have seen their black cars shine better than most when they get done with it. They also say it takes the better part of a day to do it right.

I used the NXT and the California Duster on my Vette and they kept it looking showroom new all the time. It was a pewter color though.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Zaino is great BUT extremely time consuming. Once again Zaino FILLS the swirls. I tried it and the shine it gave me from HOURS of work was not better than the shine I get from Menzerna products.

The Menzerna polish I use REMOVES the swirls.

www.properautocare.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts