Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I came real close to buying an 09 Ness Jackpot but could not resist the bad ass Big Dog Mastiff!

imho not even close....your thoughts?

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
TRAITOR! Feel free to request any other names you wish to be called. :)

Nice bike. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well it will impress the store bought chopper crowd on Bike Nite.I worked with a guy that bought a Thunder Mt. Custom a few years ago.He'd load up his $25,000 motorcycle in the back of his $40,000 Cummins Dodge drive to the town we were working in,unload it ride as far as the local watering hole,load it back up and haul it home on Fri. Really not that roadworthy or comfortable and Thunder Mt. was (out of business) about the most reliable out of the Customs. You might want to investigate a little further but its your money.'

·
Registered
634 Posts
Of course the Ness Jackpot and the Big Dog are two different things. That bike evidently was calling your name. Good riding. But, you do know that Big Dog went bankrupt in 2011 and are out of business.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
How about instead of calling you "Traitor" we go with "9TraitorsFlat" just so we can remember who you really are. Congrats on the bike!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes they were auctioned off in december of 2011...the fact is most of the wretched exess in your face custom bike buiilders are also history....when the real estate mkt tanked...the irrational exuberance being expressed through money is no object builders also went the way of the doe-doe bird.

Of course the Ness Jackpot and the Big Dog are two different things. That bike evidently was calling your name. Good riding. But, you do know that Big Dog went bankrupt in 2011 and are out of business.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That bike is absolutely stunning. The seat actually looks comfortable. Lots of luck with it..

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
cool bike but it will be around the town and home type bike..no traveling on that machine..my bud had a nice custom built. Infact the guys who built toby kieths custom built his when they were done with Tobys...Now he wished he hadnt done it way to much trouble and when we all want to go for a ride hes limited to about 100 miles....cool to look at and start and sit on and take pics but not very user friendly..

but cool bike hope you enjoy it for a long time to come..

·
Registered
368 Posts
Traitor. Ok, now the formalities are out of the way.. lifelong Wichitan and remember when Sheldon Coleman (yea, the camping, coolers, tent guy) started Big Dog. Hundreds of employees, extremely talented painters would lay down any kind of custom work. Couple of years ago, they were down to like 25 employees then finally the bank foreclosed on them.
Know a couple of guys that own Big Dogs, and have had nothing but complaints, and now they are SOL on getting work done on them.
Great looking bikes, and built for bar hoppin' unless you have cast iron kidneys and a spine of steel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice looking bike, but I hope you got a heckuva deal on it. Out here we're seeing all sorts of folks trying to sell their custom $40,000 choppers for $10-12,000 and having no takers. The real estate market crash has nothing on the chopper market crash from what I can see. I assume just like real estate, the chopper market may return some day, but it may take a pretty long time. Public interests seems to have moved on to other styles at this point.

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
From what I heard about Big Dog going out of business is Baker and S&S or picking up the warranty on their parts which is the meat of the bike so that's good and if nothing else; parts will still be available for a very long time.

Had I gone the factory custom chopper route I probably would have gone with one of Ness's that look similar to your Big Dog. Simply for the reliability factor.

I think you'll have a lot of fun with this bike. Definitely gets the looks. The low slung Pro-Street look is badass and you don't have to look around a stretched tank on an upward extended frame. That can get old after a bit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any Harley shop can work on the bike, it has a S&S engine..last time I checked S&S is still around. As for the EHC which was part of the recall along with the five other recalls on their bikes, it may or may not cause a problem in the future. The solution's can be replace it with a ehc retrofit kit or swap out the harness for harley controls and wiring. Coleman has started BigDogPerformanceParts to provide a complete parts solution to big dog owners.

Oh, one last thing...mine is a softail no it isnt a cush ride like my XC but it is superior to my former 09 Hammer S.

Traitor. Ok, now the formalities are out of the way.. lifelong Wichitan and remember when Sheldon Coleman (yea, the camping, coolers, tent guy) started Big Dog. Hundreds of employees, extremely talented painters would lay down any kind of custom work. Couple of years ago, they were down to like 25 employees then finally the bank foreclosed on them.
Know a couple of guys that own Big Dogs, and have had nothing but complaints, and now they are SOL on getting work done on them.
Great looking bikes, and built for bar hoppin' unless you have cast iron kidneys and a spine of steel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You only go around once. It's a beautiful bike. If I wanted one more than I wanted a Jackpot I'd buy it. should it need repairs it is not difficult to get done. Any competant mc wrench could work on it.
And it ain't like you got nothin else to ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts