Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question for the guys who have installed cams in their XC or XR. I'm installing my Lloydz cams utilizing the instructions written by PhilC64.

Thread here: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=15232

During the cam removal you are instructed to insert a very small magnet into a hole and pull a small pin out of the cam carrier in order to remove the cams. You can see this in the attached picture that I pulled from PhilC64's instructions. I understand the instructions. But where in the world do I get a magnet that small? That thing is tiny.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could get a very small, cylindrical magnet that I can use for this cam swap? Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I cant remember how tight that pin is but you can take a small screwdriver or just a small allen wrench and run a magnet down it the same way a few time and it will be magnetized. That may or may not be strong enough.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I've got a question for the guys who have installed cams in their XC or XR. I'm installing my Lloydz cams utilizing the instructions written by PhilC64.

Thread here: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=15232

During the cam removal you are instructed to insert a very small magnet into a hole and pull a small pin out of the cam carrier in order to remove the cams. You can see this in the attached picture that I pulled from PhilC64's instructions. I understand the instructions. But where in the world do I get a magnet that small? That thing is tiny.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could get a very small, cylindrical magnet that I can use for this cam swap? Thanks guys.
There are some screw drivers at different Auto stores, and Tool stores, that have manetized tips that might work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You get it figured out?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Instead of rubbing a magnet on a small allen wrench to magnetize it, I see no reason you couldn't just leave the wrench attached to the magnet while you extract the pin. That ought to be strong enough so long as you're using a decent magnet. I assumed that's what was going on when I saw that picture while reading through the directions...

How was splitting the frame?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't get a chance to work on it last night but I will give it a try tonight. I think RadioShack might sell small rare earth magnets that might work. If not then I will pick up a small magnetized screwdriver and hope that works for pulling the pin from the cam carrier.

You aren't really splitting the frame, you're just unbolting the frame at one spot and moving the frame a bit to give you a little extra room to pull the cams. I obviously haven't finished the cam swap yet but so far it really isn't that difficult of a job for a person who has some experience wrenching on a bike. It isn't nearly as bad as checking the valves on a V-Rod that is for sure.

I'll let you guys know how the rest of the install goes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm starting mine today too! I picked up some small earth magnets at harbor freight...not sure if they will be small enough i may have to take the dremel after the magnet...wish me luck ha ha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts