Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
13,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the vic shop
CAM SHOOTOUT! I was excited when I heard about a new cam profile that was coming out from Head Quarters: the Wyrd Brothers XV40. At the Vic Shop we'll install anything that is reliable and makes power. So of course we had to stack up these new cams with the tried and true Lloydz Motorworks VM1 grind! So we found a donor bike, stayed up all night, and tried the two back-to back.
Here are the results: The Headquarters cam is also a "direct replacement" billet cam like the Lloydz design. Both cams are the same price and outwardly appear very similar. Neither manufacturer shares the grind specs, but I can tell they are quite different from the tunes required for them to run correctly.
Donor bike is a 2014 XC with Vance and Hines slip-ons, quiet baffles, Lloydz timing wheel and air filter, and a Power Commander for fuel and timing control. We tried to give both cams a fair shake. We tuned both combos cylinders individually and ran custom timing maps for both too. Both combos we ran with the timing wheel at +7 (this bike wanted a BUNCH of timing advance). Then I posted the best of both cams: red is the XV40 and Blue is the VM1. Yes, the VM1 did pull away from the XV40 after about 4000rpms, otherwise they are pretty neck and neck. We had heard that the XV40 may be a quieter cam than the VM1, but we really didn't get a chance to road test it to find out. I'd say that it's definitely a possibility as the lobes don't appear quote as aggressive as the Lloydz.
Either way, I'd say the XV is a contender. We're not done testing all its possibilities yet. I foresee that it may be a good grind for the 08-09 100" bikes or even the earlier 03-07 bikes where there isn't a good "medium" cam on the market. Also we're very curious as to what it can do in a 106" steel frame bike. So for now the VM1 is still the top of the heap, but others manufacturers are starting to nip at it's heels as Victory solidifies it's place in the market as a performance bike!
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Cool thread .... Thanks VJ for posting this ....

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Exactly as I thought, no advantage to the newcomer.

All that hype about low end and midrange torque... Same as the VM-1 below 4200, the VM-1 is better above 4200 and the VM-1 makes 6 more HP.

Why would I get excited about this new cam?

·
Registered
477 Posts

All that hype about low end and midrange torque... Same as the VM-1 below 4200, the VM-1 is better above 4200 and the VM-1 makes 6 more HP.

+1, wish I had a like button!

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts

Cos its a cam?....no
Cos its the cam u have without losing bottom end... No that dont make sense either.
Lumpy idle?...dunno...probably not (vics idle a bit high to be lumpy anyway and the inherant basic design is so close that a cam dont need to be 'radical')
Something for the dude thats got everything and needs to throw more money in?
To be different?
Dunno

·
Registered
445 Posts
Why the variance on provided and tested graphs?

Rylan's graph shape looks way different to the posted results from HQ.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Come on HC, the question is WHY? Different altitude? Different dynos? The torque curve is way different.

And as I asked previously do the donor bikes have cats removed? ETC ETC ETC!

Youre opening a can of worms here.
Same dyno with two different operators can give different results.
Now two different dynos and the whole thing goes out the window!
Way töo many variables.
Now....same dyno same operator same day same bike.
Only variable the cam and youll get a good comparison.
Im sure HC will agree.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Youre opening a can of worms here.
Same dyno with two different operators can give different results.
Now two different dynos and the whole thing goes out the window!
Way töo many variables.
Now....same dyno same operator same day same bike.
Only variable the cam and youll get a good comparison.
Im sure HC will agree.
Nail hit dead on the head right here

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
im waiting for more tests, and WYRD has another set due out about xmas time, so by the time i get another bike they should be out for a short time and hopefully some testing done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Some of the differences could be the saddle factor that the Vic shop didn't get to try.

I would guess the original Dino results were pre production "let's see what can be done" numbers, then out on the road it didn't ride like they hoped.

Maybe smoothed it out for the initial release and are now amping it back up?

As mentioned, more performance and customizing shops are good for the brand.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Some of the differences could be the saddle factor that the Vic shop didn't get to try.

I would guess the original Dino results were pre production "let's see what can be done" numbers, then out on the road it didn't ride like they hoped.

Maybe smoothed it out for the initial release and are now amping it back up?

As mentioned, more performance and customizing shops are good for the brand.

Mike

their dyno like KevinX said is different then Rylans. ive talked to headquarters and i cant remember where the dyno is located. WYRD is basically three guys that have been doing this stuff as long as ive been alive, but with HD, they have recently moved to vic and love everything about it. they are not trying to be Lloydz, just trying to offer a cam(for now) that produces the power down where they ride, which is not at 6,000 rpms. They did what lloydz is doing for HD way back before the other guys.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I wuz gonna swing at this thread the other day but ADHD got me.

Look, a bunny.

Anyway, I gotta why or two.

HQ is a reputable outfit. I have run some good grinds of theirs in various thumpers. That's one.

Two. Props to Lloydz for all the speed guts they have whittled for us denizens of the little bitty Victory neighborhood. The VM is the gold standard for street machines and rightfully so. But we all tend to benefit when new blood muscles in. Lloydz has somebody to hate on while they dazzle us with the next big thing and HQ (and hopefully others) keep the pot stirred. Win win.

Three. As said, and again Rylan Vos (Rylan if you are out there I have played Far Cry 3. Don't even start!) gets big props for burning the midnight oil and the rollers to do this shootout, but one mans rig and one chart do not drive a final nail in the coffin of any contraption. Is his work indicative and fact based? You betcha. Is it empirical? No.

Lastly, I ain't skeered of that chart. It's kind of a wash in the midrange with HQ topping barely in the low mids and then Lloydz topping barely until it gets legs after 4k. I don't live up there. I'm in 30 35 most of the time. If I owned a tire factory I would have no use for the HQ based on Rylans chart but where I do my riding it looks like it's a crap shoot.

I say we are well served that HQ is providing us guts. Other providers of real parts that aren't just bling doing some R&D to deliver goods to Victory riders says something good about the future of our machines.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Rylan posted that same dyno result set in a thread. He used the same bike on both runs and gave all the details about its other mods. He did the dyno runs within a few hours of each other on a CCT. He was careful to say that his result did not necessarily apply to the steel frame bikes. His conclusion was that for a cross bike the new cam had nothing much to offer over the Lloydz cam.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Rylan posted that same dyno result set in a thread. He used the same bike on both runs and gave all the details about its other mods. He did the dyno runs within a few hours of each other on a CCT. He was careful to say that his result did not necessarily apply to the steel frame bikes. His conclusion was that for a cross bike the new cam had nothing much to offer over the Lloydz cam.
Did you bother to read any of the posts on this page?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts