Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took some pics but I haven't edited them and resized them yet.
Anyways,this swap was super easy. Way easier than I thought it was going to be.

I'm going to skip the steps for taking off the tank and floorboards etc. I'm going to start with the tank removed.

If you can do this part of the operation you can do the rest. Getting the valve covers off was the trickiest part but once I figured it out it was nothing.

Take off your rear motor mount. It holds the two pieces of the frame together. Which is great and you'll see why later. It's easy. There's five bolts held in by five nuts. They're all 19mm. Use a wrench on the nut and a socket on the bolt. The nuts are behind the engine fins so you have to use a wrench on the nut that holding the engine to the mount. There's also two 10mm small bolts that hold some of the plastic pieces to the mounts. If you're forgetful write left/right on the with an arrow pointing up for reference.

Ok, now the rear valve cover. This was the one I was worried about not being able to get out without cutting it in half. Using a long bit metric hex bit with a ball tip you can get all the bolts to the rear cover. Once you have them all out, time to get creative.

Take two of those rear motor mount bolts and stick them in the two separate parts of the frame. One in the rear frame, one in the front frame. Then get you a big ass pry bar and a buddy. Using the pry bar and the bolts for leverage, you can bend the frame up. It's easy to do and the valve cover comes right out.

The front cover is the same. There was one or two bolts that you can't can to with the ball tip hex bit. I took a regular allen wrench and cut it down to about 3/4" tall. It gets the two or so bolts that you can't get with the ball tip bit. Then do the same trick. Pry on the bolts a bit and get that frame spread. The front cover comes right out too.

That was literally the hardest part of the whole operation.

The rest of the operation went exactly like in the instructions from the service manual. Except I could not get the pin that holds the cams in the carrier to come out. I finally figured out that if you blow compressed air into the oil journal on the bottom of the carrier it shoots it out like a bullet.

Timing the cams is super easy. The part that worried me the most out of the whole operation was torquing the carrier back in. The manual says 22ft/lbs, then 40 ft/lbs. That doesn't seem like a lot of torque for a nut that's basically holding your head on the jug......

I haven't rode the bike but I did start it. Sounds a little different but not bad. The valve noise is a little louder. I put the autotune on it and set it up. We'll see how it works.

I also ended up taking my Air Idle Valve off. For whatever reason, my bike hates that thing.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
mrtappan,

Congratulations on your new cam install. thumb up

I have a question for you,

Do you have to remove this motor mount cover in order to loosen the rear motor mounts? Or can you loosen the motor mounts from the inside to split the frame?

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't say. My bike doesn't have motor mount covers. I would think you do though. You can see most of the bolts if you pop your side covers off. The fuel tank mounts to the top of the rear mount. Then you have four obviously large 19mm bolts/nuts and one 19mm bolt,nut on the actual engine.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Looking forward to pics also.
Where did you purchase?

·
13,038 Posts
mrtappan,

Congratulations on your new cam install. thumb up

I have a question for you,

Do you have to remove this motor mount cover in order to loosen the rear motor mounts? Or can you loosen the motor mounts from the inside to split the frame?
yes you have to take them off so you can raise the frame to get rear rocker box out. Best have a Buddy over

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking forward to pics also.
Where did you purchase?
I took the easy route and used Lloydz cams. I researched some of the others and wasn't interested in messing with them. Lloydz were drop in so i went with those.

Now maybe this thing will act like a 1700cc engine. So underpowered before......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts