Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Does the sewing machine noise and the transmission clanking go away after the cam upgrade? If not, how can I get rid of them. What have you tried? Did it work?

Thanks,

·
13,183 Posts
No you'll still have the sewing machine noise
Loud pipes might do it for you.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No you'll still have the sewing machine noise
Loud pipes might do it for you.
I was afraid of that. That is a turn off. How can such horrible noises come from such a beautiful bike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was afraid of that. That is a turn off. How can such horrible noises come from such a beautiful bike?
I just came off an HD Street Glide for the past 6+ years so I understand where your coming from but I wouldn't call it horrible. MY SG clanked changing gears as well and to be honest, it was more like a grind. The Vic just sounds like a positive thud. After a week, I have learned how to shift her better and the clanks are not nearly as bad. As far as the mechanical sounds from the motor, it is what it is. My SG also had primary whine when downshifting and slowing down. I haven't upgraded my exhaust yet either so when you do, it should make a difference drowning out some of the undesirable sound as stock is too quiet in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I get rid of the noise by riding, usually. Helmet, wind noise, often MP3 player going...what drivetrain noise?

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I don't view them as horrible noises. If that is what it's supposed to sound like, then so be it. If there are any changes in the sound, it may be a warning of things to come...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Here is a solutoin...use a full faced helmet with good insulating properties.

I use a Shoei RF-1000 and never even noticed the amont of noise UNTIL I started using a half helmet I bought during a memorial day sale. The helmet is quality but now that there is nothing on the sides protecting my ears, I now hear ever clank and rattle. It's still nothing like the compensator noise that some were getting but I can DEFINITELY hear the engine a LOT BETTER now. I do have the stock pipes on this bike and they are quiet until you jump on the throttle and then there is a nice low thump-thump-thump but now that I can hear it better I may well decide that throatier pipes may become a greater priority than they had been (for me).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure if louder pipes are the solution if you are overly tuned into the engine noise.
I put Bassani slip ons on my bike and while the exhaust note is great I noticed a significant increase in lifter tap like noise. The noise was bothering me so much I went to the dealer to have it checked and the manager laughed at me, and said it was louder because of the reduction in back pressure on the valves due to increased flow. While I didn't believe him (and not sure I still do) he fired up a stock bike and then one with pipes and there was a very noticeable difference in the two.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Yeah, putting cams in the bike will make the transmission totally silent and shift like butter. It will also cure arthritis, male pattern baldness, and erectile dysfunction.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
These over engineered bullet proof mechanical monsters are made to be reliable and strong the by product of that is what your concern is..its normal you can engineer that out of it but you start loosing and giving away strong points. just my opinion..

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are crazy. Thanks for the laugh.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You guys are crazy. Thanks for the laugh.
wow! what an unexpected turn this took.

as far as the bike noises, you finally get to a point you kind of
forget about them or you dont care anymore. i also have stock pipes.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Whining sound coming from behind me somewhere

Aside from all the other sounds my CCT makes which y'all have referenced, I also have some kinda whining sound from behind me somewhere ... it tends to be more prevalent when I'm going really fast or when I'm darting in and out of traffic. I was thinking the extra weight of my passenger was causing something to rub somewhere coz I never hear it when she's not with me.... it's driving me crazy trying to figure out what the heck it is....

·
Registered
75 Posts
You guys have to remember victory uses straight cut gears in the trans and the primary. Straight cut gear are used for high performance they are a very strong gear. More tooth to tooth contact. The is most of the noice you hear. Hd uses a chain in there primary and helical cut gears not and strong but quieter. The noise is from all the gear driven drivetrain in the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You guys have to remember victory uses straight cut gears in the trans and the primary. Straight cut gear are used for high performance they are a very strong gear. More tooth to tooth contact. The is most of the noice you hear. Hd uses a chain in there primary and helical cut gears not and strong but quieter. The noise is from all the gear driven drivetrain in the bike.
What I find interesting about your comment is that I've read contradicting information both in this forum as well as on another forum. One says straight cut... another says helical (for the Vic) yet when you look at a pic of the gears, they are definitely straight cut. I just sit and shake my head when someone who supposedly knows what they're talking about swears that the tranny gears are helical. That said, the gear set between the primary and secondary shafts are helical but the rest of them are all straight cut.

Have you come across similar contradiction?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Aside from all the other sounds my CCT makes which y'all have referenced, I also have some kinda whining sound from behind me somewhere ... it tends to be more prevalent when I'm going really fast or when I'm darting in and out of traffic. I was thinking the extra weight of my passenger was causing something to rub somewhere coz I never hear it when she's not with me.... it's driving me crazy trying to figure out what the heck it is....
I get some odd things going on when I have a passenger too. No funny noises, but every once in a while something hits me in the back of the helmet. I don't understand it, because that rear fender is so low it couldn't be stropping rocks, and they should hit my passenger anyway...but she says she doesn't know anything about it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I removed the chrome tips and cut off about three inches off the one inch diameter, approximately, muffler about three inches in length.

The sound is awesome, really, I can even feel a little more rumble in the seat at certain throttle positions.

I have about 7, 500 miles on this bike and the exhaust tone was starting sound a little better but this little mod made a big difference with no negative effects. ... can still hear music, not too loud, no popping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts