Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a really sweet Hammer for a good price. My wife is wanting something to cruise long distances on and I'm wanting something to run a quick 40 miles a day and cruise. I'm really liking the Kingpins on Craigslist.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Im sure a Hammer could be made into a comfy long distance bike.
A decent seat, change bars and extend pegs and controls would do the trick.
My Vegas covers a lot of ground and its not really that different, well it is..but it isnt.
Why not start with a Vegas or Kingpin but?

The time and money youll put into modding that cheap Hammer will soon make it not so cheap.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Found a really sweet Hammer for a good price. My wife is wanting something to cruise long distances on and I'm wanting something to run a quick 40 miles a day and cruise. I'm really liking the Kingpins on Craigslist.
Not really certain what you mean by 'cruiser' ......as by Victory's own classification , The Hammer is a cruiser.

If what you are asking is , can the Hammer be used a 2 up touring....the answer is sure. Anything is possible with want , money and knowhow.

Without a lot of work .....the Hammer is not the best tool for what you state your wife wants. She and you both will not be happy with the bike as it comes stock.
The seat is hard , the rear shock is unforgiving , the stock dunlop rear tire will wear flat quickly , and there is no storage .
That said ...there are 'fixes' for all that ..... Just depends how much you are willing to invest.

There are other Victory bikes , that are better suited right out of the box .....

You ( and the wife ) need to test them out and decide for yourselves...

Peter

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dont get me wrong ..... i love my Hammer .... But I have put much time and money into making it what I want.
I can hang tough on 500 mile days with all the best of them....just need to stop for gas a bit more often than most....
;)
Peter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your wife will not be happy on a long trip or a long ass.
Get the kingpin good looking bike and more suited for bags and long rides

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/5298485399.html
LOL! I think the hammer is out. The kingpin is more suited for what she wants and I can make it a bobber on the weekdays when Im just wanting to use it to got to and from work. Its the best for both worlds. Im kinda scared of that large back tire on the hammer. I want something that can handle the curves and wet roads.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Miles dont really matter on a Vic.
Care and maintenance by previous owner is what I seek in a used machine.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
The Vegas and Kingpin are great bikes. If I may ask; are you and your lady small, medium, or largish? Small and medium will do great two up on either of these bikes. If you're on the largish side; you may want to consider a Crossroads. Still can't understand why they discontinued that model or the Kingpin for that matter. The CR or XR as many of us call them; are great for touring, canyon carving, or running around town. Lots of options and potential too.

Vindex has a sweet Vegas too. One thing about Vic's is they are made to last and built like a tank. They are quite literally overbuilt for our benefit.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Reactions: vindex1963

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Vegas and Kingpin are great bikes. If I may ask; are you and your lady small, medium, or largish? Small and medium will do great two up on either of these bikes. If you're on the largish side; you may want to consider a Crossroads. Still can't understand why they discontinued that model or the Kingpin for that matter. The CR or XR as many of us call them; are great for touring, canyon carving, or running around town. Lots of options and potential too.

Vindex has a sweet Vegas too. One thing about Vic's is they are made to last and built like a tank. They are quite literally overbuilt for our benefit.
We are both on the small side. Im 5'6 140 lbs and she's a little lighter then me same height. We rented a cr in Arizona last weekend for the day and loved it. I had some issues with the handle bars hurting my neck but loved the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Ok i have a Jackpot, but it is similar to a Hammer,

Love my bike, my wife loves it too, she gave it to me, ha ha, anyway, she does NOT sit on the back, she is 155 Cm & 44 Kg, sooooo the jackpot is perfect for me, it is fast, corners well, and my extremely lovely wife doesn't wanne follow, I'm happy, she's happy.

I complely agree with post #3 & 4 ..... PJrom ... If your gonna ride 2 up then maybe consider something else ? Sample did you see the vic movie for drifting ? These are baggers, not Hammer or Jackpot, etc.... Says something about there handling & performance ...

Also every time i go for a ride i have a small bag with me, paperwork, earplugs, visor cleaner, money, phone
And i truly dislike carrying stuff like that under my jacket .....

Just my 1 cent

Let us know

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Im sure a Hammer could be made into a comfy long distance bike.
A decent seat, change bars and extend pegs and controls would do the trick.
My Vegas covers a lot of ground and its not really that different, well it is..but it isnt.
Why not start with a Vegas or Kingpin but?

The time and money you put into modding that cheap Hammer will soon make it not so cheap.
I have owned a 2012 Vegas sold it and bought the 2012 Jackpot which is the same thing as a hammer. The bigger tire makes for cruising nice but turning more cautious. If you look in the Hammer thread section you will see many mods done to the bikes to make them what ever you want. Victory's are all the same bike just what you want to make them. You can take things off a Vegas frame back to stock where as a cross bike not so easy. I say go for it you can always get your money back..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts