Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if us Canadians can cross the border and buy a new Victory Cross Country in the USA or is it like Harley-Davidson, where they won't sell you a brand new bike in the USA because Dealey Canada, who's the only ones allowed to import Harleys into Canada has a strangle-hold on this and they then tack on their "Dealey" tax.

I asked my Victory dealer here in town to give me a quote on a 2011 CR and also a CR and believe it or not, after almost a month, all I've gotten so far is a very short email from him saying that he's sorry for the wait, it's taking him more time then he originally thought.:confused:

Right now, they're still in "snowmobile & snowblower" mode and since we're getting LOTS of snow lately, I'm sure that business is brisk but is it too busy to get me a price on a motorcycle?

The salesman/manager there is a nice guy and I haven't really lost confidence in him but I don't think that you should keep a potential customer hanging for a month either!

Today, I dropped in to see the black 2011 CC that's in their showroom but this manager wasn't in, he only works every other Saturday. That's ok, I still got to look and sit on the bike and have decided that black is the right colour for me.

I've noticed that all of their bikes on the floor are covered in dust, every time I drop in to look at the bikes, they still have that same old layer of dust on them.

How much time would it take somebody to do a quick wipe-down of these bikes every now and again? Even though we're still in Winter, have some pride in the products sitting in your showroom will ya?

You'd NEVER see bikes looking like that at a Harley dealership, they're always super clean and shiney-looking. I think that that's a lesson that Victory dealers could learn from old Harley-Davidson, have pride in what your selling and give these bikes all the attention and presentation that they deserve for Christ's sake!

I know how much better the Victory bikes are compared to the Harleys, FYI, I was dead-set on getting a Harley but after doing tons of reading and researching of all of these bikes, I'm now confident that the Victory Cross Country is the best bike for me.

I'm just wondering why the Vic dealers are kind of slacking off when there's a potential buyer asking him/her questions regarding these bikes. I don't care how many snowmobiles you're currently selling. Have you made that much profit that you can let your "motorcycle" division slide?

And then there's that other thing about us Canadians getting nailed with a higher MSRP then the folks down in the USA for the same product.

Maybe it would be worth my time and effort to go down stateside and get a new bike at a reduced cost? That's if Victory allows its US dealers to sell to Canadians. However, I'm not sure if they'll do that.

Can somebody chime in here and add their two cents?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
What's the difference in MSRP from US models to Canadian models?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Cross Country in black has an MSRP of $17,999 U.S in the states, in Canada, that same bike's MSRP is $20,069 CDN

So, we're looking at a couple thousand bucks. I live appx. 3 hours from the border going into Maine.

Plus, the Vic dealers here seem to get less bikes from Victory and the availability is a bit scarce, this allows them to be a bit less then competative in their pricing. That's just a hunch, I really don't know to be honest with you.

Also, maybe the American Victory dealers are more likely to be more generous with discounts on the bike itself and also on accessories?

I don't know, I'm just trying to get some info here. If my guy here in Canada doesn't get interested in selling me a bike soon, I'm going to start looking at other avenues.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
I'm saying more than I know, but here goes: I'd be concerned that, if you bought in the States, you'd get a big tax and fee hit at the border. Plus, you'll be paying that state's sales tax and you'd have to get a trip permit to go from the dealer to the border and maybe home. It might be to your advantage to buy a used one in the States, that way it would be licensed already and no trip permit needed. There'd be no sales tax if its a private party sale. FYI: The 2011 model Cross bikes have speedos that switch from miles to kilos, whereas the 2010s don't.

Re that dealer: Please contact the Victory home office and let them know what's going on. I'll bet they'll be quick to "explain" things to that dealer. There's no excuse for allowing showroom stock to get that dusty.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that a Canadian trying to buy a new CC in the USA would be a pain or outright impossible but you can't blame a guy for trying.

As far as my comments about the dusty bikes, they don't look like they've been sitting in an attic for twenty years but they sure do have a layer of dust sitting on them and you really notice it on the black bikes of course.

But actually, I guess that the dust problem is bad enough for this same manager to comment on it himself when I saw him a month ago. He was a little bit embarrassed at the layer of dust on a black Cross Roads that I was looking at, but not embarrassed enough to get busy with the polishing cloth afterwards, from what a saw today anyway.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm sure that if you tried to buy a bike in the US you would have no problem do it. Your problems wouldn't start until you got it back in CA. You would have to check with your local authorities to find out what the tax rate is and you would most likely have to pay that before you could register it. We get the same crap in the US; EXAMPLE: Washington sales tax 7.8%, Idaho sales tax 4.0% - if you buy a vehicle in Idaho you save 3.8% in taxes but when you try to register it in Washington you have to pay Washington tax. In the US there is a way around it, if your neighboring state is close enough to make it worth it all you have to do is rent a post office box in the state with the lower tax so you claim that as an address and register in that state. Many Americans use CA to get vehicles into the US that aren't US spec - it's called Gray Marketing. You can't ship a vehicle to the US that isn't US spec but you can drive it into the US. Once in the US it's a bit of a hassle to register but it's been done thousands of times.

The dirty bikes in your dealership bother me. Sure it winter and they are focused on snow machines but that's not as excuse. As you say it takes very little time to clean; I personally wouldn't think twice about telling them to have a little pride in their products!! Scuffs are normal on demo bikes (even in HD dealerships) but dust is completely unexcusable! Everybody knows that bike dealers, car dealers, anybody in any business has time to clean when there are no customers.

The exchange rate right now is about .97 CAD to 1.00 USD the prices your dealer has are crazy. He's looking for way too much markup and anyone that purchases from him is making that OK. Check around at other dealers and see what they have to offer; a few calls/emails could save you a lot of money and could possible answer your questions about import.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input!

I guess maybe trying to find a more aggressive Vic dealer within Canada might be an easier solution. That way I don't have to go through all the USA/Canada hassles.

If I was getting a way better deal from another Canadian Victory dealer, I might travel as far as say, Ontario.

I know that our Canadian dollar is almost at par with the US greenback but that doesn't affect that $2000.00 mark-up that we get nailed with up here.

Maybe once mid-summer hits and the 2012s are due to come out soon afterwards, the Vic dealers will start getting a bit more itchy to unload their 2011 leftovers.

I'm not in a panic to buy and will take my time to make what I hope is an intelligent purchase. As much as I'd love to have one of these things sitting in my driveway at the beginning of our riding season, I'm going to try to avoid making an impulsive purchase. At least that's my plan anyway.:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Usa buy

Yes you can buy from the USA,its very simple,you frist have to go to the border get all your paper work in order,your dealer in the USA gets his stiff in order,you dont pay the tax in the usa,once you get to our border thats when pay the TAX,and the 325 $ border fee thats it ,no duty just the TAXthumb up

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for your input!

I guess maybe trying to find a more aggressive Vic dealer within Canada might be an easier solution. That way I don't have to go through all the USA/Canada hassles.

If I was getting a way better deal from another Canadian Victory dealer, I might travel as far as say, Ontario.

I know that our Canadian dollar is almost at par with the US greenback but that doesn't affect that $2000.00 mark-up that we get nailed with up here.

Maybe once mid-summer hits and the 2012s are due to come out soon afterwards, the Vic dealers will start getting a bit more itchy to unload their 2011 leftovers.

I'm not in a panic to buy and will take my time to make what I hope is an intelligent purchase. As much as I'd love to have one of these things sitting in my driveway at the beginning of our riding season, I'm going to try to avoid making an impulsive purchase. At least that's my plan anyway.:D
I bought my 09 Jackpot from Route 1 Motorsports in Lower Sackville, NS. The salesman I dealt with was Doug Nicholson. He was very knoledgeable about the Vic bikes and very patient with me because I asked a million and one questions and visited about 5 times before finally commiting to buying one. There was some wiggle room on the price and they have treated me very well when buying accessories. For example, I bought a windshield. They gave me a 15 percent discount and installed it for free. This was typical service every time I bought a new accessory. They really value their customers there. I'm sure Doug would love to help you. I believe in giving credit where credit is due and I can tell you that they take their Victory line of bikes seriously there. No dust in the showroom, guaranteed! If you make the trip to Halifax, let me know. Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for that info Bluenoser!

I'm located in Moncton, New Brunswick but my inlaws live in Halifax and we've gone down there quite a bit over the years. Next time I'm down that way I'll drop you a line, I'll make sure to check out that Victory dealership.

That's unless my local dealer starts showing some signs of life again.:)

I don't want to complain about the guy, he's a super nice fellow and has always given me a good vibe whenever I got to see him but I'm not sure what's going on right now.

Friends of mine keep asking me if I've heard back from this guy yet and I feel a little bit embarrassed to have to tell them no. They all say the same thing, "if he's like that now, imagine what he'll be like after the sale is finalized".

I'm thinking that he's got tunnel-vision right now with all of the snowmobile, 4-wheeler and snowblower activity but that's no excuse really.

We're getting our big yearly motorcycle trade show coming up here on Valentine's Day weekend(next weekend), that shakes everything up and motorcycles start being centre-stage again at these multi-vehicle dealerships. Maybe that's what's going to get this guy moving?

Or maybe Victory is re-assessing their MSRP as we speak? And this guy is waiting for price adjustments? Probably not but what else could it be with the hold-up?

When I do finally get a quote on a black 2011 CC from this fellow, I'll have to make at least one trip down to that Vic dealer in Lower Sackville and see if he's a little bit more hungry to sell bikes. It can't hurt to compare. I'm only 2.5 hours away.

As far as this dealer's dusty bikes goes, yeah, they should be on top of that no matter what time of the year it is. I should give them my handy dandy Swifter Duster, that would take care of their dust problem in no time.

The fact that your Vic dealership in Nova Scotia keeps their display bikes spic and span shows that they take their bike sales a bit more seriously then the store in my town. Nice people there but there seems to be a disconnect somewhere here. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....:confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh Bluenoser, another point you made:

"The salesman I dealt with was Doug Nicholson. He was very knowledgeable about the Vic bikes"

My dealer isn't informed so much, unfortunately. Back in January, I went in to ask about the 2011 Cross Roads Core Custom, when we were looking at both types of saddlebags for this bike, I said that I liked the look of the new leather bags but I was concerned that they might not hold as much as the hardbags. I asked him if they were as roomy as the hardbags, he said that they were probably bigger! I wasn't sure and checked that out online later and it turns out that they're actually appx. 25% smaller then the hardbags. WTF!!!???:confused:

I also asked him about the extra fee for "unlocking" the speedo on the CR, he had no idea what I was talking about and thought that Victory was nuts doing something like that but he said that he'd look into it for me, but the point is, that I knew more about this bike then the salesman.

When I mentioned to him that I thought that Victory's idea of locating the battery low, and out front, behind that shroud was a great idea, he looked puzzled and I think that he thought that I was nuts. He didn't know this and wasn't really buying it. :D

This kind of stuff happens all the time when I talk to somebody in a guitarshop, they don't know as much as the average Joe coming in off the street. This kind of disappoints me as a customer, I expect the salesmen to be into what he's selling at least as much as me!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There's nothing wrong with being an informed buyer. Behold the power of the internet. Informed buyers are smart enough to learn the product and most often are able to use what they have learned to get the best deals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Give Doug a call or go in and see him. Tell him Brent sent you. He will look after you, no doubt about it. I have been in and visited the store in Moncton and was not very impressed. I was in the store for 20 mins before anyone even came and talked to me. They had taken a bike in on trade and had a set of used saddlebags (hard with leather covering) sitting on the floor in the corner with no price on them. I asked if they were for sale and they weren't sure at first, then agreed they would sell them. They looked a bit used, had some scratches on the leather and were a bit dirty. New, these bags with the brackets go for around 700 bucks. They offered to sell to me for 600. I offered 400 and he chuckled and said 600 firm. I was a bit surprised as these bags came in to them on a trade so they really didnt have anything invested in them (other than the time it took them to remove them from the bike they came in on). I left my name and told them to call me if they could do better. Never heard from them. Anyhow, they didn't impress me at all there. A two hour drive would be worth it in my opinion. I'll even ride back to Moncton with you when you pick it up! cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with Bluenoser. I deal with Route 1 also and I have found them to be very good to deal with. Doug and all the guys are always helpful and seem to care about their customers. I have recently asked about prices on new bikes and got an answer immediately. I think thats the least a customer can expect. You're willing to spend twenty thousand dollars or more at their store, so they should be happy to give you a price.

·
Registered
76 Posts
warranty

If you buy the bike in the US will the warranty be tranferable once you register it in Canada? Some cars like infiniti, ford, chevy, if you want to import them into canada, they will honour the warranty. But cars like mercedes, acura, honda, chrysler, once the cars are imported and registered in canada, the warranty in null and void. The cars could be brand new with years of warranty left, but it will be taken away.
Thats my 2 cents.!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I finally got an email from my local Victory dealer and here's what he's worked out, the Canadian MSRP a 2011 Cross Country in black is $20,069.00 CDN and he knocked it down to $18,800.00 CDN (6% off list), the trunk lists for $2025.00 CDN and he knocked it down to $1725.00 CDN (15% discount).

He doesn't charge freight but there's $150.00 for PDI, $99.00 for "administration fees", new vehicle plates adds another $66.00 to the total.

This brings the total up to $20,839.00 before taxes. Add on 13% taxes and the out the door grand total is $23,539.49 CDN

This is pretty much exactly where I was guessing he would end up. I like that he was able to give me a bit of a deal on the cost of the bike and on the trunk, I also like that he doesn't even tack on freight charges.

So, all in all, it's in the ballpark but I'm going to wait until midsummer and take one of these out for a demo ride, and from what I've been reading, you stand a better chance on getting an even better deal come mid to late summer.

I will get myself one of these bikes but you can bet that I'm going to try my damnedest to get the best deal possible while I'm at it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts