Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-I just put 125 miles on my 13 Hammer this weekend. This is what the plug looks like. Just some cruising-this is my first bike and just learning how to ride.

Mods are Lloyds torque tubes, RPW slash exhaust and PC5.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
First bike and just learning how to ride?? Nice! skipped the small bikes and went straight for the large engine bike for your learner. thumb up Be careful.

125 miles aint much of a sample for the plugs but it looks like it may be a bit too rich. A lot of folks on here intentionally run their bikes a bit rich though. Keeps engine a little cooler...maybe extend the life but go through plugs faster.

·
13,177 Posts
vortech
not knowing where you live but take bike to dyno. You can mess with that PCV for some time and still be off.
Call Rylan at The Vic Shop and he will give you a good starting map. Tell him all you have done to bike cause what you hold back will only hurt you.
http://thevicshop.com/Contact.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vortech
not knowing where you live but take bike to dyno. You can mess with that PCV for some time and still be off.
Call Rylan at The Vic Shop and he will give you a good starting map. Tell him all you have done to bike cause what you hold back will only hurt you.
http://thevicshop.com/Contact.html
Thanks for the reply's guys. Visionjohnny-the bike was tuned on a dyno-it made 94/110.

Since I'm a tuner as well-but-not of bikes but C5/C6/C7 Corvettes-the plugs looked a little strange to me. Automotive plugs look a bit more uniform in colour. This bikes plug almost looks like there is some shrouding going on-it's kind of strange that here is that white spot then black all around.

If I can put the bike on a car dyno ( 224X ) then I'll run it through the gears and log AFR.

Like Rebel biker stated I'll put some more miles on the bike as well.

Thanks so much for input guys-I'm loving the bike!

·
Registered
454 Posts
In my option, the heat range of the plug seems good, BUT you are a tad rich in your fuel mixture. BUT all of my experience reading plugs comes from working on race cars, and the leaner they run the better power they make. on the downside though, too lean and the motor will come apart.

Ideally you want the outer ring of the plug a little brownish over white or black.

·
13,177 Posts
The above photo is from back in the day when there was lead in the gas.

Keep in mind one cylinder get more air then the other so both plugs will not look the same.

Tell us what your getting for miles per gallon.
You said you had it dynoed what plugs did you have in it then.
It takes a couple hundred miles for plugs to change to there running color

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The above photo is from back in the day when there was lead in the gas.

Keep in mind one cylinder get more air then the other so both plugs will not look the same.

Tell us what your getting for miles per gallon.
You said you had it dynoed what plugs did you have in it then.
It takes a couple hundred miles for plugs to change to there running color
These are the plugs that were ion for the dyno-they have about 30 miles on them.

No idea on the mileage-I'll have to pay attention to that-but damn it snowed here today!!!!

I just ordered up Autotune so it should really help dialing in the bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Scroll down to page 3 of this link, it tells you pretty much everything you could want to know in a very easy to decipher picture.
http://ossaengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sparkplug.pdf
As I said they appear to be a bit rich, Thanks for the second conformation.

"flat surface has color. Black here would be too rich or no color would be too lean."

The plugs pictured in the OP are clearly black on the flat surface. Correcting the rich/lean first, then worry about reading the rest of the plug has always been the way I have done it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
As I said they appear to be a bit rich, Thanks for the second conformation.

"flat surface has color. Black here would be too rich or no color would be too lean."

The plugs pictured in the OP are clearly black on the flat surface. Correcting the rich/lean first, then worry about reading the rest of the plug has always been the way I have done it.
I agree, the OP is running rich for sure. Everything else looks good (heat range, timing etc.).

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Vortec, All due respect. you put 30 miles on you new plugs. what kind of riding was it. hard and heavy throttle or around town granny riding?. 2nd if you dyno tuned with anyone other than one of knowledge of the Victory motor than you may have an improper tune. if you are going now with auto tune then you need to hang up and start a new thread when you figure out how to set up your bike.

Do you smell fuel when riding. Do you feel flat spots in acceleration? Black smoke from exhaust when accelerating? if none of these, then throw a set of factory NGK's back in and ride it till you get the auto tune.

We don't know where you reside so to recommend a tuner such as Lloyd and the great Kyle at KMC (new England area) could work the best for you rather than buying an auto tune. If you are closer to Rylan's "The Vic shop" then you will be in the capable hands of yet another master. Finally if you are southern USA eastern seaboard then Lloyds will have a list of his fav's there.

A dyno tune by one of the above would have given you an AFR readout and anyone of them could get your mixture spot on with there knowledge. Good luck! Hope this helps cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts