Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,669 Posts
I agree K&N filter or Victory performance filter does not necessarily mean you need to tune. Unplugged O2 sensors with the crappy air table Victory uses (on my 2012) would not be running very lean. Just based on my personal experience looking at the stock tables on my bike ECU. Your mileage and tune may vary. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yes. Anytime you change the balance in the flow of air in or out there should be an adjustment of the fuel that is put into that flow. We can get away without doing that in regards to the air leaving (exhaust) because it's not as critical to performance. Sure there's a bit of an impact that can be negative but unless the entire system is tuned for maximum performance, like in a race car, the impact is low. Incoming tuning makes a much larger difference because you are directly effecting the fuel to air ratio where too rich or too lean can not only cause performance problems but mechanical damage as well.

Just as a PS. In other vehicles I've run the K&N filters which are the same size as OEM and they are not going to pass as much air as a fully modified intake. Re-tuning would be nice if affordable but I personally don't think it's necessary when retaining stock sizes which is close to original air flow.

My 2¢ but I'm no mechanic.
Right on....well I have two performance ones that have life left and I ordered an OEM to have on the shelf just in case...so guess I will go merrily along...I rode up to Haliburton today nice 6 hour turnaround, was 80 F 20 C up there today other then the black flies when you stopped it was totally AWESOME!!

Stay Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
100 Posts
You may very well have to add an EFI Tuner. Most often, you do not need to adjust the air/fuel mixture when changing only the exhaust, but do need to adjust it when changing the intake You can tell by checking the plugs and by the seat of your pants. If the bike is starting and running smooth through the gears w/o hesitation, or ping, you are likely alright.

I had a custom air cleaner on a 2013 FLD and a 2012 XL1200C. The FLD had an aftermarket slip-on muffler and I had drilled the mufflers of the Sporty. Because of the design of the intake and the fact that I doubled the thickness of the air filter, both bikes ran great w/o the need for a tuner. I took the package off the Sporty, when I sold it, and put it on a 2016 XL1200C, mufflers drilled. The rear cylinder ran hot, while the front was perfect. Strangely, only 1/2 of the plug ground electrode was glassy while the other side looked okay. LOL. Go figure. I went back to the stock air cleaner to avoid the cost of a tuner and possible grief from CA police when I putt out there to visit.

Good luck with your project.
Sporty 8 16.jpg

21 - 23 of 23 Posts