Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get that ride to the Smoky Mountains in this year and I'll be leaving this Saturday, heading to the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, NC as a base for the week.
The guy that put this together is trailering his bike down, there was no plans to travel together we're more or less meeting at the Lodge Sunday eve.

I can't friggin' decide if I want to ride the bike down or ramp it onto my truck and take it that way.. :|
If I ride I can spend some hours Saturday on the highway, get a very early start Sunday and pick my down the Appalachians until I get to base. I'll probably do an Iron Butt next Sat and just blast home on the highway to get back.
If I load up on the truck I can do the 13-15 hour trip on the highway just to get there. I still have to spend Saturday night somewhere, as I'll get there too late to check in and what fun is driving 850 miles in a cage??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is it enough miles to try for a Saddlesore 1000 from the Iron Butt Association? Is something like that worth it to you? Last October I rode from Philly to Florida for Biketoberfest. We took 2 days to get down, spent a coulple nights and hiked it back in one day. Ours was 967 miles, just short of qualifying for the Saddlesore 1000, but we didn't decide to huff it back all in one day until somewhere late morning during the ride.
I will mention that I ride almost every day. When I got back, I didn't want to even look at my bike for about a week. That being said, I think the experience was worth it, and would do it again.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
So, you have said that you have a choice between riding your bike down, and that riding your bike is the entire purpose of your trip, or driving your truck and you don’t seem to find anything positive about that. The answer seems obvious.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Once you get past the busy areas around NYC, the rest of the ride via interstate (I-78, I-81, I-26, I-40, and US74) are absolutely gorgeous the entire way. This time of year, they will be particularly scenic with leaves turning for much of your trip. In July, 2017, I rode from Albany, NY to Marion, VA on my XCT (~700 miles) all of it on interstate (mostly I-81) and could easily have gone further. I recommend riding.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya know....this hurricane is named after me :D
@yago20 I only said Iron Butt figuratively...I just meant, at trips end, I'd jump on the highways and scoot straight home in one shot.

I don't like highway riding unless I have too.. I'll do it but I don't enjoy it. So next weekend on the way in, I'll have to days to get down there and I can make a nice ride off the highway down through the mountains. The advantage of taking the truck is extra space for stuff and quicker trip there and back.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Take it from the old "been there, done it" guy....do the truck thing. You said you don't enjoy freeway riding and neither do I - I call that "straight up" riding and it's very fatiguing compared to riding curvy back roads. You will arrive more refreshed.
BTW, IHML is a very nice place, been there, done that.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hurricane Michael is currently forecast to go right through western NC on Thursday and Friday. Of course, by the time it reaches here it will no longer be a hurricane. It will just be heavy rain and high winds While the current projection has it going through western NC, this is obviously subject to change. I would watch the projections, actual paths, and rain forecasts very closely over the next couple of days as these could have a major impact on your trip.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hurricane Michael is currently forecast to go right through western NC on Thursday and Friday. Of course, by the time it reaches here it will no longer be a hurricane. It will just be heavy rain and high winds While the current projection has it going through western NC, this is obviously subject to change. I would watch the projections, actual paths, and rain forecasts very closely over the next couple of days as these could have a major impact on your trip.
I am so far it looks like the track and major rains are well south of the mountains

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided....
Going to sissy out and load up on the truck... :eek: Its a 14-15 hour trip, I'll leave later tonight, drive straight through and get to base tomorrow afternoon. Then reverse leaving for home next weekend. The major factor is that taking the truck and driving straight through saves me from having to pay for two extra hotels nights thumb up

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Ohhhhhh that is so cool, hey how are you getting your bike on the truckbed ?

DRIVE safe so you have more fun RIDING your vic
I decided....
Going to sissy out and load up on the truck... :eek: Its a 14-15 hour trip, I'll leave later tonight, drive straight through and get to base tomorrow afternoon. Then reverse leaving for home next weekend. The major factor is that taking the truck and driving straight through saves me from having to pay for two extra hotels nights thumb up
Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Some tines we get wiser as we grow older. Good choice PaiN.

·
12,983 Posts
Now we understand why guys trailer to sturgis.

Have a fun time Pain

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Now we understand why guys trailer to sturgis.
I've only been to Sturgis twice but I can say the least fun part of both trips was the long boring rides between back roads on the slab.

I too understand trailering; especially when coming from more than a day or two ride away.

Once there; no one but you and maybe those you get there with or meet there knows you didn't ride all the way there.

I think everyone should ride all the way at least once. Better yet; take the long way through the back roads and really see this beautiful country on the slow roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts