Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Kingpin tour with Victory 2 in to 1 performance pipes,and i get quite a bit of carbon build up at the rear of the exhaust. What causes this and what can i do to stop it?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have a 2009 Kingpin tour with Victory 2 in to 1 performance pipes,and i get quite a bit of carbon build up at the rear of the exhaust. What causes this and what can i do to stop it?
Get the fuel injection "tuned." Engines that run rich tend to emit a lot of carbon.

http://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership/maintenance-repair/blue-smoke-vs-black-smoke-car-trouble-104041/

Black Smoke

Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. The burning of excess fuel is also referred to as, "running rich." When black smoke is noticed coming from the tailpipe, it is often coupled with the complaint of poor fuel mileage. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor but black smoke from the tailpipe is not, as a rule, a great cause for alarm.

Excess fuel can leak into the cylinder if the carburetor is out of adjustment. A faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a failing engine computer or computer sensor can be other reasons for fuel entering the cylinder.

If black smoke is present,

• Check the engine oil to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it.
• Look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake.
• Do not start the engine if a heavy, raw fuel smell can be detected in the engine oil.
• Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Running rich mine did that when the tps went bad.

·
12,970 Posts
look around all bikes have black suit build up on there pipes.
Most of the time it comes from getting on it hard

·
Registered
611 Posts
look around all bikes have black suit build up on there pipes.
Most of the time it comes from getting on it hard
If the bike is properly tuned there's no reason that getting on the throttle hard would result in carbon buildup. As was stated above it's the result of a rich running motor. Hard full throttle transitions can result in carbon build up because ecu's are frequently mapped to simply dump fuel into the motor at WOT. Once the motor spins up it's fine but until then you have a lot of excess going through that burns dirty and leaves the deposits. I don't know that there is a "cure" for it necessarily as even aftermarket tuners have a bit of a delay in their response but a proper map that takes into account engine speed and throttle position should improve the situation by ramping up the fuel delivery to match the engine speed rather than simply dumping fuel at max duty cycle.

·
12,970 Posts
sammorgan
so you know its not carbon on the end of your peipes is suit.
Go look at your car you'll find the same stuff

·
Registered
611 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts