Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been in the presence of someone needing cpr. I've been taught how to do it and would not hesitate. It is disappointing when I read that people are not willing to even try. Even more, parents who go nuts when their child has stopped breathing and heart needs pumping and they do nothing.

I can understand how people can be reluctant to take action... but the sooner someone helps someone in distress, the better.

Hey! Please jump on me guys if I'm dyin and I'll be like Ernest T. Bass, forever beholden to ya.... :D

Cardiac Arrest Killing Too Many, Report Finds

·
Registered
784 Posts
I don't know what survival rates really are, as the conflicting and complicated "surveys" can be a lot to digest and make sense of. I can say that in all the years of working on an ambulance, there is only one case I can think of that someone we witnessed going into arrest that was still in arrest when rolling in to the ER. Sooner beats later every time. Lucky? Maybe, but somewhere the early part had to kick in.

I can say this again, at the point it is needed, and if it isn't I promise they will tell you, the only thing you can do to hurt someone is save their life. There is no way to make them worse off. It isn't all that complicated and even if not done 100% correct, you may still be helping.

Like the famous Nike add says, "Just Do It".

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I hope if I ever keel over someone helps me ....:p I would help , I'm poor so I have nothing to lose .:D

·
13,185 Posts
Its not hard to learn if there is someone willing to teach you.
Just thinking if there was a celebration or event of some kind
it would be nice if the fire department would set up and give lessons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv_LSQ2ywXI

·
Registered
418 Posts
Adults with no sign of traumatic injury, both hands on the chest 1-2" deep press and release 100 times a minute.

That is about what you'll get from the voice on the other end of 911.

Plenty of video demonstrations on youtube.

The survival rate has increased greatly with new studies and practices but when your heart stops chances are it will stay stopped. If you have access to a public AED use it, most will talk you through CPR steps and help with zero training.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Adults with no sign of traumatic injury, both hands on the chest 1-2" deep press and release 100 times a minute.

That is about what you'll get from the voice on the other end of 911.

Plenty of video demonstrations on youtube.

The survival rate has increased greatly with new studies and practices but when your heart stops chances are it will stay stopped. If you have access to a public AED use it, most will talk you through CPR steps and help with zero training.
I've taken the CPR class twice, and they say if you ain't breakin' ribs, you ain't doin' it right!!!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Like Chugly said:

Then 2 breaths.

They keep changing what the numbers are, but doing nothing is not going to help.

Here in Oregon many people signed up for a plan called FireMed. It get you and your family a free ride to the hospital in an ambulance. Much of the membership money when to improve the equipment on all the ambulances and firetrucks. When all that was done, all the police cars got AED's.
Knowing where the closest AED, might save your or someone else's life.

I've taken CPR classes almost every year since Boy Scouts. I'll bet 30 times so far.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
You can do "Hands-Only" CPR where you just push, and no breaths. As was mentioned above, basically heel of hand centered on sternum at the 'nipple-line' and just push, 100 times/min. about 2" deep... keep going.

If you give breaths it's 30 compressions and then 2 breaths. (I'd just do 'hands-only' since air is forced in and out with each compression anyway)

P.S. It's NOT normal to break ribs, if you're in the right location and pushing the right depth you should NOT break ribs... if you hear popping or cracking it's more likely it's cartilage separating, not a big deal, and even if you break a rib, you just keep going.

For 'traumatic full-arrest' such as someone in cardiac arrest after a motorcycle crash, the chance of survival is TERRIBLE, since some injury requiring surgery has probably caused massive hemorrhage leading to the cardiac arrest, but CPR is indicated anyway, and there's always a chance it's not trauma related, that they had a heart attack causing them to crash.

I've been a Paramedic since 1980. Former L.A. City Fire Dept.

P.S. The VAST majority of people 'actually' in cardiac arrest do NOT survive, you have to defibrillate them within less than 5 min. of the event to have much chance to save them. Most dead people stay dead. Getting a defibrillator to them QUICK is the key to them surviving, CPR won't do it by itself... for every minute that goes by that they are not defibrillated there's a 10% less chance they'll live, CPR or not.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Hey look at me, just went over 1000 posts, do we get a pin or something? 'Hot air' award?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Unfortunately many people tend to walk away and not help in situations like this because we live in a law suit happy country. Unless a state/county/city has a good samaritan law to cover people that choose to attempt to rescue someone the person that was saved could sue the person that saved him/her.
In some cases this is because the person being saved had a do not resuscitate order but in more cases it is because they have an ambulance chaser encouraging them to try to get some money.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
To 'walk away' will probably mean certain death, any delay in life saving intervention will probably make any resuscitation impossible, 'most' states do have some sort of 'Good Samaritan Law' protecting you as long as you did what a 'reasonable' person might have done, even if you make mistakes. But I wouldn't breathe into the mouth of a stranger in cardiac arrest, 'Hands-Only' CPR is enough.

·
Registered
190 Posts
To 'walk away' will probably mean certain death, any delay in life saving intervention will probably make any resuscitation impossible, 'most' states do have some sort of 'Good Samaritan Law' protecting you as long as you did what a 'reasonable' person might have done, even if you make mistakes. But I wouldn't breath into the mouth of a stranger in cardiac arrest, 'Hands-Only' CPR is enough.
I carry a CPR mask/barrier in the glove box of my car, along with some material to make a tourniquet in a pinch. Anything we can do to help in an emergency can make a big difference. Your thoughts on the good Samaritan law are accurate as far as I have been instructed.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.redcross.org/prepare/hands-only-cpr

Hands-only CPR is a potentially lifesaving technique involving no mouth to mouth contact. It is best used in emergencies where someone has seen another person suddenly collapse. The hands-only technique increases the likelihood of surviving cardiac emergencies that occur outside medical settings.

How is CPR different from hands-only CPR?

Full CPR combines rescue breaths with chest compressions and is the best option in some emergencies, including those involving infants and children, drowning victims, or people who collapse due to breathing problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts