Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

Normally, I would take my 2011 X-Country into the dealer for maintenance, but I recently moved and the local service shop gave me the run around so I'm going to try getting it fixed myself.

Last year I rode from Washington state to Palmer, Alaska. A wonderful trip, but there were long segments where premium wasn't available. Now I've noticed that when I try to pass, the engine will bog down for as long as 15 seconds or more. Otherwise, she runs great.

My first guess would be the fuel filter, but since changing that out is not exactly simple, I thought I would seek other advice.

I also plan to replace the air filter and spark plugs.

So, do you think this problem is caused by fuel or air starvation?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hard to tell by your description if the bogging down is new or if it was on your trip. Please clarify. Also, how may times have you ridden it since moving to Alaska? What is the elevation difference between the two places? Does it bog down every time?

Reason I'm asking is because you describe the bogging down as temporary. A fuel or air obstruction would more than likely not be the problem and in fact would produce more effects at the upper rpm's when demand is higher. You could try running some injector cleaner through the bike but I doubt that's the problem.

Also I would personally check starting with the easiest:
  • Power. Make sure all power connections are clean and tight. There's no sense troubleshooting electrical problems if the power routes are not trustworthy.
  • Battery voltages would be my first series of checks. Specifically the regulator levels. If part of the bridge is damaged the output will be low until the stator gets to a higher level. Output will be going towards rescuing the battery that's either low or being drained.
  • Throttle Position Sensor reset.
  • Vacuum lines. Make sure everything is attached tightly and there are no cracks.
  • When you change the plugs take a good look at the wires.
  • From Washington to Alaska you went through a lot of elevation changes. If you haven't ridden much the ECU can take a few starts to learn from the TMAP.
Good luck and keep the thread up until it's solved.

I'm no mechanic, just my 2¢.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to tell by your description if the bogging down is new or if it was on your trip. Please clarify. Also, how may times have you ridden it since moving to Alaska? What is the elevation difference between the two places? Does it bog down every time?

Reason I'm asking is because you describe the bogging down as temporary. A fuel or air obstruction would more than likely not be the problem and in fact would produce more effects at the upper rpm's when demand is higher. You could try running some injector cleaner through the bike but I doubt that's the problem.

Also I would personally check starting with the easiest:
  • Power. Make sure all power connections are clean and tight. There's no sense troubleshooting electrical problems if the power routes are not trustworthy.
  • Battery voltages would be my first series of checks. Specifically the regulator levels. If part of the bridge is damaged the output will be low until the stator gets to a higher level. Output will be going towards rescuing the battery that's either low or being drained.
  • Throttle Position Sensor reset.
  • Vacuum lines. Make sure everything is attached tightly and there are no cracks.
  • When you change the plugs take a good look at the wires.
  • From Washington to Alaska you went through a lot of elevation changes. If you haven't ridden much the ECU can take a few starts to learn from the TMAP.
Good luck and keep the thread up until it's solved.

I'm no mechanic, just my 2¢.
This started happening on the last 2 days of my Alaska trip - fortunately, my plan was to return by ferry back to WA so it didn't impact on the trip. At that point I contributed it to the quality of the fuel I was getting. Since my return to WA I've run thru 2 tanks of fuel on rides, but the issue is still there. The bogging down only happens when I attempt to pass - so high speed and high RPM.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
When you indicated it only bogs down for 15 seconds when you attempt to pass I took that as 15 seconds later it surged up and was fine when passing. In any case, put the injector cleaner in and try the rest. Shitty power causes lots of problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you indicated it only bogs down for 15 seconds when you attempt to pass I took that as 15 seconds later it surged up and was fine when passing. In any case, put the injector cleaner in and try the rest. Shitty power causes lots of problems.
I'll give that a try. Can you recommend an injector cleaner?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Nope, there's lots on the shelves at the local auto store. Just pick one. Based on what you listed as possible fuel source problems this is just a quick and easy step to see if it helps. Giving injectors a really good clean involves removing them from the engine. But you're not there yet.

Do go through the tasks above though and also confirm fuel and spark are getting to each cylinder. This is all the preliminary stuff so if you're not familiar with the actions to get that far you're not going to have much success. Going further usually means a higher skill level and test equipment. Take it as far as you can yourself though before you turn it over to the pros.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'll give that a try. Can you recommend an injector cleaner?
Was it dry and dusty, or wet and muddy on the Alaska trip? If dry and dusty, I would suggest replacing the aircleaner with a washable K&N one, if you haven't already. Just the flat one, doesn't need to be the Witchdoctors performance one if you're not chasing more power. That's a lot of dusty miles. If the fuel quality on the trip was good, just lower octane, it shouldn't have had a lasting affect, as long as you weren't lugging it and letting it ping. Mine frequently has to drink 91 octane, Oz octane measurement. Replace the sparkplugs anyway.

Reactions: 53canuck

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Did you hit the RPM limiter?

Did you ride in the rain or wash your bike?

That would cause bogging down as you describe

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi All -

Normally, I would take my 2011 X-Country into the dealer for maintenance, but I recently moved and the local service shop gave me the run around so I'm going to try getting it fixed myself.

Last year I rode from Washington state to Palmer, Alaska. A wonderful trip, but there were long segments where premium wasn't available. Now I've noticed that when I try to pass, the engine will bog down for as long as 15 seconds or more. Otherwise, she runs great.

My first guess would be the fuel filter, but since changing that out is not exactly simple, I thought I would seek other advice.

I also plan to replace the air filter and spark plugs.

So, do you think this problem is caused by fuel or air starvation?
The problem can be the result of running lean, or rich. 5 has some good suggestions for you. If you have a manual, a general service while looking the bike over could not hurt.

There are more tips available at:

Good luck getting her right.

Vic Gunner 1 15.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts