Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience installing a ground plane CB antenna on a cross bike. Do we have enough metal on the bike for a ground plane CB antenna to work?

How low were the SWR's?

I know an NGP antenna will work but what about Ground Plane?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Maybe these photos of a CB antenna mount I fabricated will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
That looks good. But what did you do with your fm antenna ? I am trying to find a CB for my '11 but no luck. I really don't want to go J&M but I may have to. I really want a Vic CB.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
That looks good. But what did you do with your fm antenna ? I am trying to find a CB for my '11 but no luck. I really don't want to go J&M but I may have to. I really want a Vic CB.
No fm antenna, I have a Cross Roads. The J&M CB was the only way I could go.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ricz, Very interesting pictures.

What antenna are you using with that mount?

what is you SWR reading using that mount and antenna?

I wish I could afford the J & M CB.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
J&M supplies antennas that are already SWR'd and work fantastically well. I have a 2' and a 3'.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
J&M supplies antennas that are already SWR'd and work fantastically well. I have a 2' and a 3'.
From what I have learned, No CB antenna is, (already SWR'd). They all have to be adjusted on the bike using an SWR meter. That goes for both the Ground Plane and No Ground Plane antennas. The only antennas that don't need adjusting are the (rubber duck) antennas on a portable hand held CB.

This from a major CB radio company.

"The Antenna must be tuned for all applications. Factory systems, aftermarket ad on’s, replacement antennas, it makes no difference. The antenna SWR MUST be set! There is no pre-tuned antenna."

I just found this on the J&M web site.

Note: This antenna has been designed to mount to your motorcycle easily and
attractively. The antenna staff has been pre-tuned specifically for use with J&M’s
JMCB-2003 CB. No further tuning is required.

Go figure,

Every thing I have learned says that a CB antenna must be adjusted for each installation.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
What can I say Richie? After years of producing their CB/Intercoms, J&M finally realized that everything is pretty much the same no matter what bike it goes on. The coax is the same length and bikes offer pretty much identical ground planes. When I first installed my unit, all J&M offered was a generic adjustable antenna and I had a terrible time tuning it - couldn't get any range. I called John and he said they just came out with pre SWR'd antennas and he sent to me a couple and they work very,very well. Now if you're installing a CB in a cage, then that's another story and you'll have to custom SWR the antenna.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ricz

Please see my updated post. I found the instructions for the J&M radio and it is as you said. No tuning necessary. Wow, that is a great feature. A real time saver.

I still would like to see what the SWR's are on the completed installation.

How come you ended up with two antennas?

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
John knew I had 2 generic ones, so he duplicated them. I didn't tell him when I bought them that one was for a friend. I use the 3' one when I have the Lock & Ride backrest & rack on and a rackbag. The 2' one is used when the rack is off. Both work equally well, but the 3' affords a bit more range.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RICZ and anyone else interested.

Check out this video from the J&M site on how to tune their CB antenna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp0kWX_Dx-A

I like the size of those antennas. Very neat looking and not as clunky as some on the market. I am wondering if their antennas would work with another brand of radio.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I wish J&M had that video when I was doing the install some years back, as I got the mount assembly in the wrong order. Its easy to do that, even for an OCD guy. The vague instructions (at that time) didn't help either.

·
13,003 Posts
J&M is not a small company. But sure could come up with a better cable end for mounting

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
J&M is not a small company. But sure could come up with a better cable end for mounting
Hell VJ, I wish I had a better cable end for mounting. :devil

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I learned from Dave and did the same on my bike. Works great! Victory antenna system is crap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts