Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a short ride today, about 40 miles one way, stopped at an event for about 5 hours, got on the bike and rode home. The temp outside was around 75, a nice day for a ride. I got back into town and doing the stop and go traffic and the bike seems to be running weird. It seemed like when I started out at a stop light in 1st gear, it would run like I was started out in second. Even 2nd and 3rd were kind of the same way. It is a 2011, with around 13,000+ miles on it. This spring I put in a Timing gear +4, and it seemed to be running great. Now it seems to be back firing more (it didn't at all up until a couple of weeks ago). Also, when I got back into town, the dipstick gauge was reading 240 and general in is right around 200. I did change oil a couple of weeks ago, but I used the Victory kit and I checked my oil this morning and it was good.

It seems like when it gets hot it runs like that (at least the last 2 times of 40+ miles).

My closest dealer is 2-3 hours away, so I am just curious if anyone has any ideas. I have had the bike for about 1 1/2 years, and I know that the 106 motor is a little noisey, but this is a new noise.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
When you installed the timing wheel did you torque the 2 small bolts that hold the timing setting? They are shipped set at +4 but the bolts are not torqued. Sounds like your timing may be off.

·
13,262 Posts
with a cook thermometer (there cheap ) biol some water stick your dipstick in water and check it.

yes check ats wheel. get new spark plugs auto parts p/n 3481 they will be NGK dcpr6e. even go to witchdoctor any buy new plug wires

where are you getting your gas. download puregas app to your phone to find good gasoline.

when bike is overnight cold adjust your clutch

Attachments

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It could be something as simple as crap gas. Try the cheap route first, run it close to empty then fill up with premium at a new (or newish) gas station. Getting gas at old gas stations opens you up for pouring gas in your tank that is contaminated with years of crud and water that's sitting in the underground tanks.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Don't forget to check the battery connections.
Every summer the Victory gnomes go on vacation causing mischief wherever they go. Loosening battery terminals while you sleep is their specialty.

Make sure they're tight. You'll feel like an idiot if at the end that is all it was and loose battery terminations have caused stranger things on X bikes.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I would try new gas first unless you have already run gas from different stations and there is no change. I would also check the throttle body adapters for cracks. They do develop cracks after a while do to heat.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I agree; start with the fuel first. Make certain the battery bolts are tight and place lock washers under the bolts. Double check the timing wheel bolts; remove and apply blue loctite to threads and tighten, but not real tight - you can strip the threads as others have.
Tip: Never fuel up at a gas station that's fueling up, that roils up water and crud from the storage tanks bottoms. If you recently did that, I suspect water in your fuel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. I usually get gas a Kwik Trip, and run premium, I am almost empty so maybe I will try a Holiday Station. I will check the timing wheel, but when I got it, I knew that the 2 bolts were loose, but I still wasn't able to turn the wheel because it fit that tight. I did use the blue lock tite that they supplied when I put it in. If I pull off the cover to look at the timing wheel, should I still pull it off if it is still at +4?

Someone also said to check the air filter? I have the stage 1 kit, do I just take out the filter and blow some air through it? I will double check the battery. Where are the throttle body adapters?

I hope it is something that easy. It really made me nervous when it started to do it. Can't afford for something major to go wrong. It is raining here today, so tonight sounds like a good night to do some checking while I am smoking some Maple Habanero Beef snack sticks. I will let everyone know what I find.

·
13,262 Posts
Kwik Trip gas is ethanol free Holiday is not. Use some sea foam on what gas you have now.
download pure gas app to your phone and then you can find non ethanol gas

if you go get seafoam get some spark plugs at the auto parts store, ask for NGK p/n 3481 they will be $5.00 bucks for two. Thats a big savings over dealer wanting $14 bucks for two

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So are you saying that I shouldn't be buying from Kwik Trip? It doesn't really matter to me if that is the case. Kwik Trip just opened in Duluth, so they are everywhere, but so are Holiday's.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Also, if you did get some dirty gas, I would wonder about the fuel filter also...

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Also, if you did get some dirty gas, I would wonder about the fuel filter also...
That's a pretty big filter Broggy, it has a lot of area.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
True enough, but being the troubleshooter I am (it's the skill that pays the bill), I wouldn't rule it out without checking.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
True enough, but being the troubleshooter I am (it's the skill that pays the bill), I wouldn't rule it out without checking.
Have you ever done that? Its quite and undertaking. I replaced the fuel filter at 25K per Rylan Vos' recommendation (which would involve the same work as inspecting) and you better have a sack lunch handy.
Incidentally, the old filter looked to be just fine. Aaargh!

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Have you ever done that? Its quite and undertaking. I replaced the fuel filter at 25K per Rylan Vos' recommendation (which would involve the same work as inspecting) and you better have a sack lunch handy.
Incidentally, the old filter looked to be just fine. Aaargh!
No, but then I'm not having issues with the running of my bike. If I were, and I checked everything else, I imagine I would do what I had to do.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Fuel filter isn't bad to change, maybe 30 minutes. What really hurt was paying $85 for a new one! Thankfully mine was obviously restricted (30k miles and dark brown) because changing it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Ammo--did you already have the tank off to do that filter change? If not, you are a lot speedier than me, but then, I'm just a feeble old guy. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
1st 10 minutes remove side covers, remove 2 seat bolts, remove 2 tank bolts, disconnect fuel line behind right wedge, pull tank off.

2nd 10 minutes (using cordless driver) remove fuel pump, remove / replace filter, reinstall fuel pump.

3rd 10 minutes reverse steps from 1st 10 minutes.

I think the key (for me at least) was working in a cold garage and wanting to get done before it got worse! I did forget to count the time it took to siphon the gas but I ran it almost empty so it only took a few more minutes to pull 1/2 gallon out of the bike and into the snowblower.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I have found it safer (to avoid breaking the fuel nipple) to lift the tank and disconnect the fuel line that's under the tank. Don't ask me how I know that. :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts