Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

CCT factory HID

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  djh3 
#1 ·
Stupid question time.

I keep seeing threads when I search about replacing the entire light with LED and other stuff. That doesn't interest me.

I don't have experience with HID as my other rides are halogen.

Let's say my HID fails. Will an aftermarket unit fit the headlight socket? I assume I'd have to cut up some wires to power the box?

Does the HID use a standard HID bulb?

I'm a fan of the light output with it but as far as parts availability I don't know what the options are.

#2 ·
As far as I know, as long as the bulb is the same size as what's currently in there, any bulb would work. Same with the ballasts.

The downfall of HID is the warm up time, i.e. not "instant on" like a halogen or LED. Think flashing your high beam for whatever reason...

Eta: check this out.

#3 ·
As far as I know, as long as the bulb is the same size as what's currently in there, any bulb would work. Same with the ballasts.

The downfall of HID is the warm up time, i.e. not "instant on" like a halogen or LED. Think flashing your high beam for whatever reason...
This is why a lot of folks opt to only use HID on low beam. Some people ride a lot at night I guess so they might want a better high beam too though so it really depends on the person and their riding habits.

I personally don't ride much at night these day like I used to so going with HID on the low beam only works well for me.

#4 ·
Yes the factory light is low beam HID. I'm happy with this arrangement. Never have used the bright.

Just concerned about replacement if the need arises because I like this setup. I'm hoping that a simple bulb change is all I need for the life of the bike.

#5 ·
Look up H11 bulbs and be prepared to get inundated.

#6 ·
I run an aftermarket HID on mine low beam. I was over about 70 miles or so @ my brother in laws and went to leave and poof, low beam out. I had to drive all the way home on hi beam only. Some folks definatly pissed, but hey what are ya supposed to do? Any HID bulb of correct wattage should work. note there is primarily 2 wattages used 35 which was common for many years and now 55 w

Reactions: doobliss
#7 ·
Hmm well no idea what the stock unit uses. I'm all for using aftermarket non Vic parts if they will fit the stock HID housing.
Might seem an odd concern but that's only part I can reasonably see failing in my time with the bike. Before or after parts availability time with Polaris not sure.

#8 ·
Just looked up a ballast on E-bay. Looks to be 35 watt. My aftermarket light had maybe 5 months on it when it went out. The one I had in my RSV had 4 years and was still going. Ones I had in my car were probably 4 years or more before one went out. So I'd say a roll of the dice on longevity. But probably not something I'm going to carry a spare HID with me. If I would have been on the road away from home I probably would have just put a halogen in it and finished.

#9 ·
I know others have posted just the opposite, but I run an LED low beam and HID high beam. Put those bulbs in many years ago and they still work. Yeah, the HID needs a few seconds to reach max brightness, but when on a dark back road, dimming for oncoming has the HID warm enough to go back on 100%. A great arrangement for longevity and illumination.

#10 ·
I run @CrossRoads VICTORY HID system in the Vegas and now the XC.
Brilliant lights with a lifetime guarantee, which he stands by.. (which I used a few months back when low beam failed and left me dazzling on-comings (**** happens)
Got HID on hi and lo, the slight delay when first going to high isn't a worry cos once its armed flicking down and back is instant
I did have the misfortune to get a broken lens on the XC last weekend, presume it was a stone or rock flung up.
Got me seriously thinking about getting another now Ive had to use my spare.
I do see on ebay there's a local Aussie bloke selling clear headlight protectors for $55 plus $8 postage... might be cheap insurance given cost of another used one.
New Polaris price would be in stratosphere and I consider LED replacements ugly as sin.

Reactions: RICZ
#11 ·
Motor: I have a 3m plastic um lens protector I guess you would call it. It is kind of a static cling thing from Tank Slapper Who knows you can probably buy the raw material and make it yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.