Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased/installed a Cee Baily Cee Dragon, clear, on my '10 XC (thanks NewCrew for the sale!). Here are some initial thoughts:

1. Quality: Cee Bailey makes great products and the quality is top notch on both. Advantage: even.
2. Appearance: Obviously, this is subjective, and while I appreciate the looks of the standard windshield, the lines of the Cee Dragon match the lines of the XC. Advantage: Cee Dragon.
3. Wind management: Unless it's really warm, I typically ride with soft lowers across the crash bars and fork lowers to minimize under carriage buffeting. With the standard Cee Bailey shield, head buffeting is virtually non-existent up to 80 MPH (unless there is a very strong/gusty crosswind, which no shield protects); when I exceed 80 MPH (a very rare occurrence, frankly) with the standard shield, I find that I need to slouch/hide behind the shield to minimize helmet buffeting; with the Cee Dragon, the buffeting is non-existent, albeit the wind noise is louder than the Cee Bailey standard in slouch mode. My back can't manage a lot of slouching without pain. Advantage: Cee Dragon.
4. Distortion: The Cee Dragon is meant to be looked over and distortion is a given. The Cee Bailey standard has no distortion. I'd argue that if you need to look through your shield, your wind management is not optimal. Advantage: Cee Bailey standard.
5. Rain: TBD.

In trying to get some good experience with the Cee Dragon, I traversed Highway 680 here, which has a lot of chop, even when the wind is minimal, as it is today. I noticed several sportbike riders nut-hugging their tanks, crouching under their short shields to alleviate wind resistance, so the highway turbulence was pretty bad today, even if the wind wasn't. Given the angle of the Cee Dragon, I could see the wind management actually working as the shield would flex a little from the chop, which was initially distracting but something with which I quickly acclimated.

So far, I really like it!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up on the two windshields. thumb up

I have the Ness Flip on my XC and it's working much better than the factory unit. I need to order some fork lowers complete the wind management.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I bought it used. I believe it was the 13". I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam, so my torso is in proportion. I do have a 72" reach, however. :)

I do look over the Cee Dragon by several inches so it's actually lower than the standard shield. I'd say the Cee Dragon comes to mouth-level; the standard shield is about an inch higher.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Optimum shield height is the top even with your eyes so you just look over but have the best protection from the wind and buffeting.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Optimum shield height is the top even with your eyes so you just look over but have the best protection from the wind and buffeting.
I had the missus take some pictures, which I can't upload to the site for some reason, and the Cee Dragon is actually between my eyes and the end of my nose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just looking for some input now, I feel I may have ordered the wrong size shield. I currently ride a xc and did the cee bailey measurement method and came up with 14". I am only 5'6" so I went with the 13" to insure I can look over it. I am wondering if some how I miss measured since it seems a lot of people who are 5'9" and finding they can just see over the 13" shield.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I figured out I need the 11" shield instead. I used a piece of card board to mock up the hight of the windshield and found that the 11" was the perfect hight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
fit

Just looking for some input now, I feel I may have ordered the wrong size shield. I currently ride a xc and did the cee bailey measurement method and came up with 14". I am only 5'6" so I went with the 13" to insure I can look over it. I am wondering if some how I miss measured since it seems a lot of people who are 5'9" and finding they can just see over the 13" shield.
I'm 5' 11" and short bodied and ordered the +4. I also used cardboard to measure. Thing is I sat up straight when I measured and I tend to ride with a slouch. Should have bought a +2 or +3.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 5' 11" and short bodied and ordered the +4. I also used cardboard to measure. Thing is I sat up straight when I measured and I tend to ride with a slouch. Should have bought a +2 or +3.
I went for a long ride yesterday and I noticed that I still slouch occasionally and even then I still see over the top, just barely. So, the Cee Dragon works very well for me. The wind was really blowing on the coast and my wind management was terrific.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1`9" Cee Dragon

Ordered 18" Cee Dragon but it wasn't tall enough for me. Went to the 19" and it helps a lot with buffeting and quiets the bike down at highway speed. Very pleased.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have quite a few Cee Baily shields, including the Dragon and their new "cone of silence". I have found that, for buffeting, the tall 17" shield, which I look thru, is by far the best. I found this to be the case on my Road Glide (which are also known for buffeting issues).

However, I don't like the look as well, although changing shield on a XC is very simple. I notice that the new shield on the 2012 Tour is also designed to looked thru, not over. Also, riding in the rain with a shield you look thru is not fun. Much harder to see thru a shield which is 2-3' away than a helmet shield, and no way to wipe it off:( Thnkfully we don't get much rain in southern california.

With the new full hard CB lowers I can ride with my very short dark shield and the buffeting is acceptable. I like the "look" better:D

Doesn't seem to be a completely perfect solution, at least for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just put an 18 inch Cee Bailey's Dragon on my XC. I'm 6'2" and need to move up an inch or two as the air stream is just hitting the top of my head. Main issue is I typically ride two up. So what I'm really looking for is something that will also minimize the "bobble head" effect when wearing a helmet for my passenger. I don't mind looking through a windscreen, and rain isn't that big a problem with some rain-x. Debating on getting a 19 or 20 Dragon or if I should go with a normal tall shield. :confused:

On a side note, I got caught out in the rain with the Dragon windscreen. Does alright (maybe I just need a taller one), but the water tends to come off the sides where the "bend" is at the bottom and it drips right down onto your legs / feet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I tried the 19" Dragon and only down side is riding two up, the GF says the buffeting is worse. I went back to the Victory tall shield. The Dragon is for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got an 18 dragon on right now. Anything below 75mph and I don't hear complaining from the back seat. But of course if I'm doing highway I like going a bit faster then that.

How's the view through the tall shield? Been in some rain with the dragon and I don't have much issue as I can just look over it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts