Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rattling noise from engine under acceleration or pulling a hill. Has gotten more pronounced over the last few rides.
MPG is down to 33. Bike is a '12 with cam job and 14k miles. I don't push it hard at all.
Wild a$$ guesses as to what's going on?

Edit: pic of plugs added page 3

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I'm interested to hear what they tell you.

I feel like I have the exact same issue, but the bike runs like a champ so I have pretty much chalked it up to the idea that these big V-twin engines can't help but to have some noise.

Wearing my half helmet with no music, it really bugs me. With my 3/4 helmet and music I don't hear it so I feel better. :ltr: :crzy:

·
13,027 Posts
rattling I think would refer to something loose.

I'm guessing you have a knock. Probably a piston

·
Registered
57 Posts
rattling I think would refer to something loose.

I'm guessing you have a knock. Probably a piston
Way to jump to conclusions. You're joking right? A "loose piston" would be pronounced at an idle. MMGUT, i'm not sure what your mechanical expertise is but you are stating under load and going up a hill. This to me sounds like you're describing pinging. If you had something mechanically wrong you should be able to hear it while idling. If in fact you can hear it while idling, buy a stethoscope and try to find the noise. Please keep us updated. Also, is your bike tuned?

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Subscribed ... It could even be your PCV ... when i installed my PCV and NO autotune .. The bike under load did the same, pinging or ratling sound, then i downloaded different maps & autotune and it was gone

When i installed my cams myself then the bike did not run perfect until i opened the airvalve more and i got a map for cams

It just could be small changes to be made ??

Please update us soonest

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds like little marbles in the top of the jug...only happens under load?

I'm not a mechanic. But I'm with OhioPatriot. That could be pinging. I've had it before when I run 87 octane, it's hot out, and I'm pulling hard uphill. And as the weather warms up, it might seem to get worse with each ride...because, doesn't pinging get worse as it temps increase?

33 mpg doesn't sound out of line to me if you've got cams and you're pulling hard uphill.

·
Premium Member
13,280 Posts

I'm not a mechanic. But I'm with OhioPatriot. That could be pinging. I've had it before when I run 87 octane, it's hot out, and I'm pulling hard uphill. And as the weather warms up, it might seem to get worse with each ride...because, doesn't pinging get worse as it temps increase?

33 mpg doesn't sound out of line to me if you've got cams and you're pulling hard uphill.
This could be it too. We don't have enough info to rule it out one way or the other.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I certainly wouldn't argue it with you either way. My friends will attest to the fact that I'm NOT a mechanic.

I'm kidding. I don't really have any friends.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great responses so far.
Lets confuse things with some more info:

-bike runs very smoothly
- cams were installed before I bought the bike with a PCV included.
- I had the bike dyno tuned here in Utah 3k miles ago which eliminated a dead spot at 2k rpm
- I have been running 88 octane because I live at 4200' elevation and typically ride at 7000'+ because the interwebs said 91 octane isn't needed here
- Last tank I filled with 91 octane but the noise persists, only under load.

Thanks. With help here maybe I can skip the shop visit :)

·
Registered
57 Posts

Sure does. My Ranger used to ping going uphill in the summer months when i was in school and had vacuum leaks LOL. I hated that thing. Warm air molecules expand and bounce around more. Humidity hurts also Although you're running more rich and & atmospheric pressure is lower, cylinder pressures increase because of that along with higher IAT. Its hard to wrap your head around that but look at Boyles law

·
Registered
244 Posts
Again..I'm not a mechanic...but...

I assume it has the adjustable timing wheel. If you didn't install it, perhaps the person who installed it set it to be something more advanced than +4. Can't that cause it as well? Or...maybe he skipped the locktite and it's starting to slip.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
If this is just developing.....Several things I would suggest looking into or checking before taking to shop:
1. Cracks in vacuum lines connected to throttle bodies from IAV
2. Cracks in Throttle body boot
3. Verify timing wheel setting as mentioned
4. Verify your intake filter is clean

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again..I'm not a mechanic...but...

I assume it has the adjustable timing wheel. If you didn't install it, perhaps the person who installed it set it to be something more advanced than +4. Can't that cause it as well? Or...maybe he skipped the locktite and it's starting to slip.
No adj wheel

·
Registered
244 Posts
If this is just developing.....Several things I would suggest looking into or checking before taking to shop:
I'm not a mechanic. But this guy is. I'd listen up if he's giving advice.

cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just to add to this i would recommend the following

Check your spark plugs. This will indicate a potential combustion issue and will help you narrow it down to what cylinder. After pulling spark plugs post pictures of results for further diagnosis. Something tells me this is a tuning issue. Hopefully its not a bad cam lobe or something mechanical. wac

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great responses so far.
Lets confuse things with some more info:

-bike runs very smoothly
- cams were installed before I bought the bike with a PCV included.
- I had the bike dyno tuned here in Utah 3k miles ago which eliminated a dead spot at 2k rpm
- I have been running 88 octane because I live at 4200' elevation and typically ride at 7000'+ because the interwebs said 91 octane isn't needed here
- Last tank I filled with 91 octane but the noise persists, only under load.

Thanks. With help here maybe I can skip the shop visit :)
Reposting as I think many folks missed this

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is it only happening during certain rpm? Example 2200 thru 2800 then it gets quiet?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Maybe an exhaust leak? It hasn't happened on my vic but my truck made a real unexpectedly high pitched rapping noise that turned out to be the exhaust manifold gasket. I hear the vics copper gaskets tend to leak. Lloydz sells softer gaskets that supposedly seal better....just a thought

·
Registered
427 Posts
Forgot to mention...the truck only made the noise whern I was bootin' it....:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts