Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tall OEM Tour Windshield is cracking at bolt holes on left side. I don't like it as it's to tall can't look over it. I found and bought a Blade windshield. It only has two screw holes while my tour shield has three. Do I need to order another mount or just remove the tour windshield mount? I have a repair manual but it only shows the blade shield and it looks like the that's all I have to do. Thanks! I did do a search lots of info on windshields but not on exchanging the tour one for the blade. I also looked on the Polaris site they show the different shields but don't show any mounting hardware.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Should be 4 holes and i believe you need to remove the tall windshields brackets.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
173 Posts
Concur with dtmmil,
You have to remove tall brackets. Mine came with tall and blade windshield. Remove brackets, bolt up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shouldn't you have 4 holes
The tall windshield has three screws on each side, or six screw holes, the blade had two on each side or four screw holes.

I think dtmmil and Encmerk answered my question and I thank them. That's what I was thinking but without taking it apart I could not be sure. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to order any parts before taking it apart. cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes remove the tall shield brackets you may need shorter windshield screws as well to mount the shorter windshield. I did.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you remove the brackets that come with the XCT -- the ones made to keep the extra-tall stock XCT windshield in place -- you'll then have the equivalent of a stock XC in terms of windshield choices and mounting options.

My windshield experience and thoughts:

When I ordered my XCT two years ago, I also ordered the KlockWerks Flare (not to be confused with the Victory Flip). I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, and from demo rides and cycle shows I knew that the stock, extra-tall, windshield would be too tall for me; like you, I don't like looking through windshields. As part of the uncrating process, the dealer put the Flare on (the bikes don't come with any windshield on, in the crate), charged me for the Flare (but not for labor), and I sold the extra-tall stocker.

I used the Flare for a season, and liked it. However, my riding buddy tried my bike, and as he's six-foot something, got too much buffeting. Someone a little shorter than me might be OK, or might not; much shorter, and I'd have my doubts. That is, the Flare is fine, if you're the right height for it. And it looks nice.

Just for the heck of it, the second season I bought the Madstad bracket system and their 11" (tinted) shield, and sold the Flare. The Madstad -- for my height -- is about the same as the Flare. However, it does have the advantage of being adjustable, so, for instance, if it's really hot out, I can angle it downward and get more air. This adjustability also solves the problem for height-challenged folks who want to look over a shield. The black brackets go with the black dash (rider's side and top), so don't look out of place, IMHO. Of course, since the Flare doesn't use any brackets, it looks slightly better. IMHO.

The Flare and other windshields with curved lips are generally not appropriate for use with the Madstad, because if you have occasion to raise them up very high, you'll be looking through the weird-optical curvy part.

So, in my case -- too-tall XCT stocker, then a curved-lip shield -- it was a no-brainer to get the shield with the Madstad. If you already have some other non-XCT-too-tall windshield lying around, you'd be better off starting with just the brackets from Madstad.

BTW, at the bottom of the webBikeWorld review on the XCT -- http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/vic... -- there are clickable links to five aftermarket windshield suppliers for Cross bikes.

Attached is a pic of the regular 11" tinted windshield and brackets on my XCT.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts