Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter has been squealing on cold starts and generally being clunky for some time. With 48k miles on the bike I was thinking about rebuilding it but came across a clean and tested one off a wrecked bike at a can't say no price.
I'll do the replacement this spring. I'm still on my original battery, its really never shown any signs of weakness but the battery is as old as the bike... Should I go ahead and replace the battery with a fresh one at the same time I do the starter?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
You have a possibly 5 year old battery there PaiN and although they can last more than twice that, why chance it, especially if its coming out to change the starter. I changed my battery at 6 years, just on principle - didn't want it to fail me out there somewhere. That has happened to me. Our batteries have a good life as they are located in an ideal place where they don't get overheated by the engine, so they last longer. A load test could help with your decision.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I would replace the battery myself.
Also, I would keep that starter and rebuild it - if you would like me to rebuild it for you, let me know; I've done 2 of them now (both for me) :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've heard that Victory starters were bullet proof. All this talking about starters going out has me concerned. I have 50K on my 2013 and the starter purrs. Bike never backfires on startup.

·
13,188 Posts
when my original vision 08 battery started going bad the volt gauge would fluctuate.going down the road It would be at 14v then it would drop to 13v and so on. The battery lasted 8 years and it even had a service sticker on it saying May of o8. I think you right about about it being in a good place to stay cool all the time.
I wonder how well sealed the starters are or does condensation build up in them going from hot to cold

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I've heard that Victory starters were bullet proof. All this talking about starters going out has me concerned. I have 50K on my 2013 and the starter purrs. Bike never backfires on startup.
While the starter sounded like a banshee, it never failed to start the bike or even slow down. it was just loud.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have a possibly 5 year old battery there PaiN and although they can last more than twice that, why chance it, especially if its coming out to change the starter. I changed my battery at 6 years, just on principle - didn't want it to fail me out there somewhere. That has happened to me. Our batteries have a good life as they are located in an ideal place where they don't get overheated by the engine, so they last longer. A load test could help with your decision.
I know you're right, I guess I just needed to hear it...

I would replace the battery myself.
Also, I would keep that starter and rebuild it - if you would like me to rebuild it for you, let me know; I've done 2 of them now (both for me) :)
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare on hand.

Like broggy said, the starter hasn't failed me either but it sounds real bad, especially cold. Since I was able to score an almost new starter for $43 I figured I better jump on it as a replacement.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
While not as bad as some I have changed, the battery is kind of a PIA. I just replaced mine in like early Oct. Never gave any indication until........... One day at work was kinda sloow but lit off. I thought maybe just low because I had not rode in a week. Next day went out to go to work and burr clicccck. DOA I know exaclty how this would work for me. I would install new starter and a day or so later no start dead battery. And I would be tearing the whole thing apart again. Maybe your luck is better than mine. If so give me a heads up on some loto numbers.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe your luck is better than mine.
I'm sure its not :| so I'm changing both.

Shoei Qwest helmets are on clearance, Cycle Gear is holding one for me to try on, when I get there this weekend I'll be looking into batteries also

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
PaiN, check out the Duracell batteries at Batteries Plus on line. They are US made, high CCA, have a 2 year 100% guarantee and you get a 10% discount for ordering on line and picking up at your store. An unexpected and nice feature is dual attachments at each terminal - one on top, one on the front. Very handy.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Seeing as this topic also discussed batteries I highly recommend one of theses or similar.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516390490&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+booster[/ame]
I carry one of these around on my bike at all times. Ive never had to use it on my bike but have given other bikes a boost in the past and they are a lifesaver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts