Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This is the full setup that I use for wind/buffeting control. The "GL1800" wings mounted on bars actually work well with the fairing deflectors to control buffeting. That said, there's a big problem....they are ugly and don't look right on my bike. I've been dealing with it because of the frustration I had last year with the heat issues causing me to give up first my Goody's fork mounted deflectors, then the awesome Vic hard lowers. This setup worked and was flexible so screw it...until now.
Now that my overheating cats are gone, I've been scheming and keeping and eyeball out for some wind control that works and matches the bike. I can't spend crazy money on something either, which rules out the Goody's, Ness, Vic fork mounts or Vic hard lowers.

I came across this pic(in a driving light post) a few days ago and picked up on the deflectors right away, I contacted the owner, who was very helpful(thx jaak). Turns out he's using Memphis Shades lowers with the clamps tucked under the fairing. He says they work great and are inexpensive. I did some investigating and found vindex1963 using them in a little different setup. I was on this like a fly-on-poop :) and ordered up a set last night for $81 shipped. I ordered the shorter lowers, like the ones in the pic but they are so inexpensive if I want a change I can just order the longer type like vindex has, using the same mount bracket.

Hopefully by next weekend the Nor'easters's weather mess will be out of here and I can report on how they work, with pics of course.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yeah, pics from the dash side would be interesting. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think I tried the Memphis shades first. Too bad, I think I still have everything for them and you could have had it for cheap. I should find the stuff and offer it on here

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What the hell.....I bought the driving lights also

·
13,003 Posts
I have wonder if the CC faring was say 3 inch lower or longer in the bottom front if it would stop the buffeting.
Even though if you tuck some Duct tape and ran in from fork to fork just below the bottom of the fairing would that stop the buffeting

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even though if you tuck some Duct tape and ran in from fork to fork just below the bottom of the fairing would that stop the buffeting
You're kidding...right?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

Attachments

·
13,003 Posts
no I'm not.

wast thing if add length to the bottom part of the fairing you would need all that add on stuff

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
PaIN, looks good. You put a lot of work into diagnosing your buffeting issue. It helps me out for some future plans.

Hey, which LEDs are those on your highway bars?

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts

This is the full setup that I use for wind/buffeting control. The "GL1800" wings mounted on bars actually work well with the fairing deflectors to control buffeting. That said, there's a big problem....they are ugly and don't look right on my bike. I've been dealing with it because of the frustration I had last year with the heat issues causing me to give up first my Goody's fork mounted deflectors, then the awesome Vic hard lowers. This setup worked and was flexible so screw it...until now.
Now that my overheating cats are gone, I've been scheming and keeping and eyeball out for some wind control that works and matches the bike. I can't spend crazy money on something either, which rules out the Goody's, Ness, Vic fork mounts or Vic hard lowers.

I came across this pic(in a driving light post) a few days ago and picked up on the deflectors right away, I contacted the owner, who was very helpful(thx jaak). Turns out he's using Memphis Shades lowers with the clamps tucked under the fairing. He says they work great and are inexpensive. I did some investigating and found vindex1963 using them in a little different setup. I was on this like a fly-on-poop :) and ordered up a set last night for $81 shipped. I ordered the shorter lowers, like the ones in the pic but they are so inexpensive if I want a change I can just order the longer type like vindex has, using the same mount bracket.

Hopefully by next weekend the Nor'easters's weather mess will be out of here and I can report on how they work, with pics of course.
Hope they work as well as mine have.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the Memphis Shades lowers installed yesterday. In short they work great, diverting that nasty air flow from coming under the fairing...In my setup buffeting is non-existent and I have smooth air flow in the cockpit. This weekend I'm going to make a small adjustment. I want to cont. to use the fairing air deflectors and I have to move the MS lowers slightly forward so they don't tick the bars at full lock.
I'm going to trim the lower portion of the fairing deflectors off, so they can move freely and push the MS Lowers forward so they are in-line with the deflectors.

For Bill

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Looks great!! The after is waaay better than the before.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been working on this project today, since I'm sick of riding in the cold and I want this wrapped up.
This first pic is how I setup to trial the parts, which works great except I can't open the deflectors and the lowers tick the crash bars at full lock. I'm trimming back the Victory fairing wind deflectors so they'll be open-able with the Memphis Shades lowers in place and the lowers can be moved forward.

Initial cut marks:

Final cut and trim:

I'm painting and clear coating the deflectors now, as soon as they are dry I'll post pics of the completed project. stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You going to have black clamps when you're done? Those shiny ones seem out of place.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You going to have black clamps when you're done? Those shiny ones seem out of place.
OMG Bill, they are not "out of place", they are "in contrast to" ...geez!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts