Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my Vic in 2012 I was the only one around. Harley people didn't know how to act around me at a gas station or coffee shop. Mostly they ignored me if in a group, if solo I would get a hello.

Today when I stopped for gas I got swarmed by a bunch of HOG's telling me how cool my bike is.

Later in the day I even had one pull up beside me while riding to try to talk to me!

What gives?

Are they finally starting to love us.....or is it a evil plot by the moco?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think they are finally realizing that they can't ignore us. I even had one diehard Harley rider ask to take my Kingpin for a spin. I just told him don't lug it, let it rev before shifting. He came back with one hell of a grin on his face. Too bad we did not have some good twisties for him to try it out on.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I've only gotten compliments from Harley guys. I think they are starting to respect the fact that it's an American bike that seems to be here for good now.

Helps that the Hells Angels and a few other 1%'s are starting to ride them. Street cred ;)

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Going against the flow on better machinery does require some balls, some vision, a purpose.
And belief in oneself.
We are on the right road.
The future is ours
Victory favours the brave.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Going against the flow on better machinery does require some balls, some vision, a purpose.
And belief in oneself.
The future is ours
I have a tear in my eye ......

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I think attitudes are slowly starting to change. Has a guy working on my heat pump who is one of the few "serious" HD riders who puts 20k+ a year on his bike. He spent more time checking out my XR than fixing anything and talked about finding a good used Kingpin as a second bike. Most of the haters are usually the ones who are lower on the IQ scale I have come to find out over the years (not saying I am too high on it either!)

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Most of the haters are usually the ones who are lower on the IQ scale
Classic & true ..... Here everybody loves every BIG bike, no matter what the brand ..... But Vic's stand out ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had a buddy who is a lifelong HD guy help me change my front tire last Friday and I had him ride my XC afterwards. He came back shaking his head and told his wife as he pulled up "Harley ain't got a thing that will ride with this! This thing is a Caddy compared to every Harley I've ever been on." Said he almost traded for a Vision but couldn't work a deal on his trade with Strokers. Next day I passed 2 couples while I was headed home. 1 couple on a SG and one couple on a Softail. In my mirror I notice the guy on the Softail pointing at me. When I stopped at the next light he pulled up along side and started asking about my XC. Said he almost bought one instead. He wanted me to ride with them so he could check it out more but I had to get home to kids. Seems like Victory is making more riders think twice when they get ready to buy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Down in Daytona this year it seemed like every event was sponsored by Victory. Saw banners everywhere. So I would say it's definitely catching on. The XC definitely grabbed my attention not only in its looks and rideability but also what it offered dollar for dollar compared to Streetglides or Roadglides. Don't get me wrong I still love my Harley I have in my stable but as far as a bagger no better choice than the Victory.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
There's a test track near here where they test all the new models and makes. I sometimes run into someone who test rides for them. Most people don't last more than a year or so and they just get worn out riding all those miles. Iron Butt riders have nothing on these guys. They don't even let them wear special gear like a cooling vest because the manufacture figures most people won't have that and they need a realistic test ride.

Anyway; this one guy who had been working there for 9 years said he thought highly of the Vic's and believed, from his experience and what he has seen, the Victory wins in handling and rideability. The HD motor, as it is now at 103ci, is the most reliable. I figure he is a bit biased since he owns a Harley but he did give the ride and handling to the Vic's. He said he was disappointed in the Indian they tested because the transmission locked up at only 7k miles. Probably an aberration but still.

I got the impression a perfect bike in his opinion would be a Victory XC with a Harley motor and trans. I hope HD is listening to these guys because there is so much room for improvement in the ride and handling of the HD big twins touring bikes. The Softail is about looks; not handling. Probably the best handling bike HD has produced was the FXR and the Dyna line in general. Should be interesting to see if HD did listen.

I want to see HD do well as much as I want to see Victory and Indian do well. We, as customers, are the winners when competition drives them to do better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, the attitudes are indeed changing. I've been on Vics since 2000, back then we were scoffed at by most of the HD guys for having a "wanna-be" bike. Now I hear almost none of that.

I was out on the Jackpot last night, (07 Competition yellow, flames) and was gassing up. Into the station pulls a generic black HD FLXRSXYZ. The guy starts filling up, his lady stands there and stares at my bike (not me, that's for sure) the entire time, until I started up and disappeared down the road with her turning to watch me leave. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
And belief in oneself.
The future is ours
This says it all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts