Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Request a link (if available) to the changes to the Vision line over the years.

Looking at a new 2013 but would happily jump on a used model but I am not sure what changed over the years....

Not a chick but yes, I guess I am high-maintenance...

/r

Allen

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
No link but the transmission has changed to helical cut gears vs the original straight cut. That will make more difference when the gears are already engaged than it will during shifting. In general helical cut gears are quieter once they are engaged. The straight cut gears are often a bit stronger but the Victory transmission is strong as can be so that factor will not enter into the equation.

·
13,231 Posts
what Oldman47 said and they did up grade the radio but thats it in a nut shell.
They put a XC wheels on to cut there coast. They changed the paint colors.
In 2011 ABS breaks
Ran out of thing they have changed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asking the question since I am now looking at new-old-stock (NOS) bikes on the market. Some new 2011 models out there but if I am reading the searches correctly, the tranny changes were recent, just not sure of the year (maybe for 2013?)...

Also not sure when the "Tour Premium" went away but looks like or the 2011 MY. I can't tell if the up-level items were rolled into the 2011 models.

I know this may seem like I am polishing a cannon-ball here, but this is a big-ticket item and trying to make an informed decision. I really like the 2013 model but would be a dis-service if I didn't do my due diligence!

/r

Allen

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The 2011 and the 2013 that I have on order are basically identical. All I expect to see by ordering a 2013 is a full warranty and lower previous mileage. Another factor may be the available color. What I really wanted was the blue color available in 2012 that cannot be ordered for 2013, but nobody within several hundred miles seemed to have that bike color available. Yes, I had my dealer search for a left over 2012 in the right color and was very willing to pay for it. I really do want that blue color from 2012 but he will be delivering a black 2013 to me next week. We have reached an agreement on that and I am one of those folks who treat a commitment as a commitment, with or without a written agreement, which we do not have.
If my word is no good, how much is my written agreement worth? To me it is worth nothing in that case.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the info...

Like the red 2013 but found a gently used white 2011 that is damn sharp- Need to see in person but looks good in the pics.

Just wondering what has improved or maybe been dropped in favor of profits over the years...

/r

Allen

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Allen, as far as I have been able to discern over the last couple of months, the only thing a 2013 has over a 2011 is age and warranty coverage.

·
Registered
545 Posts
2011 was the last year for the Vision Tour Premium... in order to reduce the MSRP on the Vision AND promote the Cross Country as the flagship model for Victory (read... looks more like a HD). Once a fully loaded model bike, the Vision became a stripped down version of its former self... add all the available options back to it and the Vision is still rather pricey... but not all the 2011 options are available for later model years. The engine, a 106, and the tranny, a 6 speed, are the same from 2011 on. Prior years have the 100 and a 5 speed. ABS on the 2011 premium was standard and it is not on later base model bikes... Just google the different years and the specs will show up somewhere...

·
13,231 Posts
2011 was the last year for the Vision Tour Premium... in order to reduce the MSRP on the Vision AND promote the Cross Country as the flagship model for Victory (read... looks more like a HD). Once a fully loaded model bike, the Vision became a stripped down version of its former self... add all the available options back to it and the Vision is still rather pricey... but not all the 2011 options are available for later model years. The engine, a 106, and the tranny, a 6 speed, are the same from 2011 on. Prior years have the 100 and a 5 speed. ABS on the 2011 premium was standard and it is not on later base model bikes... Just google the different years and the specs will show up somewhere...
Just to infourm you the 106 came out in 2008 when the vision came on the market along with the 6 speed

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also own a 2013 Vision (black) that I traded my 2012 HD Ultra Classic for. I can tell you that I rode my son's Victory Cross Country that has the transmission prior to the helical cut gears. While the bike handled well, I thought the transmission sounded like my garbage grinder! While my son has become used to the sounds of the trans, and he has informed me that he frequently has problems changing gears, he does not consider it enough of a difference to upgrade to the 2012-2013 Cross Country.
However, I am sure that when he rides my 2013 Vision - he will rethink his position!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Really? Cross bike flagship? Not buying it.

Cross Country may (or may not) be the Victory sales leader but sales and flagship are two different things.

Vision is an icon. It s apart from any other two wheeled mass produced machine. Flagship is an understatement for what it is. And this is coming from a guy who is not a fan. But I know when I am looking at something that is a full fledged turn of the page.

As far as the standard to optional issue, that's not Vision specific. That's across the boards. My 2012 Cross Country Tour came with low beam HID standard. Costs you 500 on a 2013. There's other stuff but point made.

Last thing, the Cross Country looks like a Harley in the same way that any V twin cruiser and most any other cruiser of any engine config, regardless of manufacturer looks like a Harley. That's just testimony to the niche that Harley carved out that everything else in it has to follow. That is except for the Vision. I'm sure there's some dumb shmuck out there that will walk up to a Vision owner and say "nice Harley" but it's rare.
Hell, guys on Wings hear "Nice Harley", I rode a full fendered Indian and heard "Nice Harley", Virago riders, Star Riders, Trumpeteers, they all hear "Nice Harley". If it's got bags and a shield and a trunk or some combination of them some clueless drooler is going to say "Nice Harley".

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hell, guys on Wings hear "Nice Harley", I rode a full fendered Indian and heard "Nice Harley", Virago riders, Star Riders, Trumpeteers, they all hear "Nice Harley". If it's got bags and a shield and a trunk or some combination of them some clueless drooler is going to say "Nice Harley".
I think I need a Kleenex er uh I mean a tissue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As an "outsider" from a Victory standpoint, there is no doubt to me that the Vision is their "Flagship" model.

With that said, I went into a dealership to take a look 1st hand at a Cross Country. After seeing both in person, I find I like the Vision more. Yes it is polarizing from a styling perspective but I really don't care- I like it and it is my money!

Off on a related tangent-

My question about the changes really was dual purpose. I have been wondering about the obvious model comparisons since I am looking at maybe a NOS but the changes are also telling on another front.

I can't help but wonder about the future of the Vision and the general health of Victory. If Vic is beginning to de-value some of their offerings by removing features, I wonder if it is to lean up for cash purposes or are they looking at the HD business model to nickel-and-dime the customer after the sale? A lot of reasons to remove features, just wondering about the business side...

As for the Vision model, it looks to be functionally unchanged since its introduction in 2007 (as an '08 model). My pondering is on the progression (or elimination) of the model- No info on what the sales numbers for the Vision have been over the years. Since I like the Vision, I'd love to see some evolutionary changes to keep the model relavent in the market; updating the transmission is a great example but pulling features seems like a step back. Sittin here in the cheap seats, dropping features on the "halo" model signals major changes on the way, cash is tight or the model's future is in jeopardy.

Harley is the master of incremental change- some would even say glacial! If you park a 2000 Electra Glide Ultra next to a brand new 2013 Ultra, you would be hard-pressed to tell them apart at a glance. A five minute ride would illustrate the differences are night-and-day.

This takes me back to the Vision- where do you see the model in 5 years, based on the model history to date?
<Edit> I did notice that Victory looks to have had EXCELLENT sales growth last year at somewhere around 36% over 2011. *Oddly, that sort of bolsters my question on the Vision. *With a cash-infusion to the company I really wonder where the Vision will go next.

/r

Allen

·
Registered
147 Posts
No link but the transmission has changed to helical cut gears vs the original straight cut. That will make more difference when the gears are already engaged than it will during shifting. In general helical cut gears are quieter once they are engaged. The straight cut gears are often a bit stronger but the Victory transmission is strong as can be so that factor will not enter into the equation.
Funny thing, I picked up a used 2012 transmission. Only one ratio is helical cut, the rest are still straight cut. Helical cut gears are quieter, straight cut gears are better for power transfer. So they probably identified the set that was making the most noise and changed just them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Something that you should be aware of when considering purchasing a new old stock Victory is the seal on the transmission shaft. Because Vic's belts are on the high side of the bike when parked these seals dry out and fail. If you buy a Victory that has been sitting in a showroom for a year or more that seal is almost certainly in need of replacement. If the dealer won't check it out, don't buy the bike. If that bearing fails its ten or more hours of shop time to replace. It may not happen to every Vic but it is an issue and Polaris is aware of it. I just had my seal replaced today under warranty. It's a good idea to aim a flashlight on the housing below the trans shaft to check for oil leaks as part of your regular inspection schedule. .

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Changes over the years

Hey guys I see the last conversation on this subject was a couple of months ago, but I've been looking at a 2009 Vision and I was wondering if any changes have been made? It is hard to find any info on things like heated seats,grips gps radio and speakers and even the electric windshield. Were all of these standard in 09 also or were they added later. I'm just trying to find out what was standard equipment on the bike in 2009.

Thanks For any comments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alan B So what was your decision ? What did you end up buying ?
I managed to miss the updates to this thread!

I wound up with a red 2013 that is amazing- I added a "few" upgrades from Lloydz!

Only thing I am annoyed with on the bike is they cheaped out on the 2012-2013 HID cyclops light. Easily upgraded this spring!

/r

Allen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts