Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a used cross country. this may be asking a lot, but is there a list of changes that Victory has made to the bike each year since they introduced it? maybe things about them that may make me want to avoid a certain year, or "this is the year they started doing this..." kind of stuff. any input would be appreciated.

thanks
adam

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
the '10 models have a 2500 mile oil change interval. This was doubled in '11 with the "new & improved" transmission design. However, some '11 models may have rather noticeable torque compensator noise. This was improved upon again in '12 to reduce drivetrain noise, and each successive model year seems to be presenting further small refinements to the transmission, which has been a gripe on the touring bikes.

'13 eliminated forged crash bars altogether and I think cruise on the non-touring models.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the '10 models have a 2500 mile oil change interval. This was doubled in '11 with the "new & improved" transmission design. However, some '11 models may have rather noticeable torque compensator noise. This was improved upon again in '12 to reduce drivetrain noise, and each successive model year seems to be presenting further small refinements to the transmission, which has been a gripe on the touring bikes.

'13 eliminated forged crash bars altogether and I think cruise on the non-touring models.
great info. thanks!
adam

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
2012 XCT is best of everything in my opinion. Hid headlight, abs, cruise, heated seat n grips, round bars n fairing lowers. Ipod connecter in fairing lower, power outlets in lower n trunk. Bought mine off CL with 2900 miles for 14,500. Deal of a lifetime.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2012 XCT is best of everything in my opinion. Hid headlight, abs, cruise, heated seat n grips, round bars n fairing lowers. Ipod connecter in fairing lower, power outlets in lower n trunk. Bought mine off CL with 2900 miles for 14,500. Deal of a lifetime.
is all of that stuff you mentioned standard equip?

adam

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
'14 eliminated the forged crash bars altogether,.. '13 they were on the antifreeze green bikes only, all other colors had the tubular.
Forged bars are also on the '13 Black Metallic Flame factory custom paint.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'll 2nd that.
My 2013 AF Green XC has forged bars and cruise.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I ride my wife's 2012 vs my 2011 it feels like a total different bike. The tranny is way smother in shifting, seems to be maybe a different gear ratio??, suspension and steering feel different also. I still like mine best tho. So either I have a trans that was not upgraded or they did quite a bit more for 2012--not sure. In my opinion there is a distinct difference between the two years.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Second the 2012 choice. Granted I am biased.
At least in the case of my bike it came stock with more than the previous model year and then in the proceeding model years saw a reduction in stock options. The conventional wisdom is that removing some pricey widgets was done to retain price point. Whatever. 2012.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2013 XR Classic has ABS & Cruise standard.
I'm not a fairing kind of guy and I prefer the look of spoke rims.

·
Super Moderator
4,972 Posts
This is a good into thread that stopped. I would be interested also.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
THe 2012 is the "sweet-spot" in used XCT's and has been for a year or so. It has all the features standard. Has benefits over previous model years and is the oldest of the group that are basically the same (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and maybe even 2016) so it has the lowest price. I bought three 2012 XCT's in the last year all for $14,500. One was an incredible deal as it had $4000 worth of extras on it including custom paint, purchased in Sept, 2014. The second was a very good deal as it had about $2000 of extras including custom paint, purchased in Oct, 2014. The third was not really a good deal as it was almost bone stock ($500 of extras) and purchased in June of this year. Now is the time to buy - end of season when people are trying to get rid of bikes. You can find low mileage 2012-2015 XCT's out there but you might have to be wiling to travel to get one.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
bought mine in may for 15500 with 2700 miles.

i switched the halogen high beam with a HID from victoryHID (why didnt victory just put the highbeam HID on in the first place???)
I went with the 5000k high beam and it is still way brighter and whiter than the stock low beam. i kept the factory low beam anyway.

traveled 4 hours one way to get it. but i wanted a '12 white xct with low miles...you're gonna have to drive when you're this picky.

love my victory!
adam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts