Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on changing my filter soon and have just the filter and was wondering if the old one just comes off the hose so u can put the new one on

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
No sir, the old fuel filter assembly comes off the fuel pump assembly. The Vic SHop has a great video for you here:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what u r saying is that u cannot change just the filter but have to change the whole unit

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
So what u r saying is that u cannot change just the filter but have to change the whole unit
So it would seem.
I'll direct you to a thread already going on fuel filters. Click.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
So it would seem.
I'll direct you to a thread already going on fuel filters. Click.
I bet it's just a matter of removing the one-time crimped clamp and replacing it with a worm gear clamp right at the filter or another one-time clamp.

In looking at the video it looks like the white plastic piece and clip that holds it on is reused when using the Quantum filter. At the low price of $15 or so bucks for the Quantum filter and the lack of availability of the stock Vic filters; I think it would be worth it to just give it a go. The very worst that might happen is a piece of gas coupler hose would be needed between the filter and existing hose to the pump to make it work but I'd bet that wouldn't even be needed.

One should be mindful of what kind of clamp or hose is used since this is submerged in gas. It needs to be something that will handle it without dissolving.

An interesting note is I replaced the filter in my 04 Kingpin last year when I painted it and it has dual filters while the X bike has just one. I guess the KP setup was an overkill.

Here is the one and only picture I took of that project. I wish I had taken more. Notice the one-time use clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I just purchased two new fuel filters and they came with spike fits for the end and hose-clamps not the whole assembly.
Here's a pic.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I just purchased two new fuel filters and they came with spike fits for the end and hose-clamps not the whole assembly.
Here's a pic.
This should do fine mate, the original is a crimpfit, so after cut the original filter off, then use a short hose that fits over the filter nipple and the stock fuel hose at the pump.... Then hoseclamp them and be done with it....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
This should do fine mate, the original is a crimpfit, so after cut the original filter off, then use a short hose that fits over the filter nipple and the stock fuel hose at the pump.... Then hoseclamp them and be done with it....

Andre using TaPaTaLk
Thanks, after watching the few vids that are out there on changing the Cross bike fuel filters I figured that's how it would go together. One of the filters is for me the other is for @broggyr we're planning a "maintenance day" where we change the fuel filters and brake fluids in our bikes. This way we can share the suffering ...lol

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Thanks, after watching the few vids that are out there on changing the Cross bike fuel filters I figured that's how it would go together. One of the filters is for me the other is for @broggyr we're planning a "maintenance day" where we change the fuel filters and brake fluids in our bikes. This way we can share the suffering ...lol

I posted the following on the "Tinker Time"

removed the dented tank and installed the new tank, and new fuel rail hose....

Note that the fuel filter looked "ok" to me, and it looks to me if victory decides to stop supporting the new filters it shouldn't be long before a company makes a plug and play hose and filter, it is just crimped on the pump & filter nipple, so a hose clamp could be used for that... No biggie for the future...

I used a knife bent like the picture, super easy to get that fuel pump hose out of the hole, also note I reused the rubber gasket, perfect condition, no leaks, etc etc....

If you look at the video on YouTube from the vicshop then you can see the pump and filter fit trough the hole, but there is a hard rubber hose with of course a mash protect hose that is hanging up under the edge....

anyway this easy tool make sliding that @$'/*! Hose right passed that ridge...

You make the tool, from a old blund knife and stare at the tank with the stuck pump for 5 minutes, then you can feel that hose is on a 45° angle so the bent knife must align with that hose and removing the pump is a 10 second job, putting that hard fuel hose back in the hole is a 20 second job

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
You make the tool, from a old blund knife and stare at the tank with the stuck pump for 5 minutes, then you can feel that hose is on a 45° angle so the bent knife must align with that hose and removing the pump is a 10 second job, putting that hard fuel hose back in the hole is a 20 second job
Thanks again Andre' ...but I'm just going to use this tool

:devil

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Here's a pic.
Well, lookee there, even an ol' broken clock like me is right once in a while.

:devil

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Fuel filters from Quantum fuel systems showed up today. I know they are at present longer than the XCT filter. But I just looked at the picture of Pauly's "new" filter and it looks as though the element its self is just bent in half. Mine are white, his not so much. At any rate I have a furniture project in the works this week that has priority and bike only has 31k on it so not a got to have. I have not made a video before even on the cell phone, but maybe I can do a picture write up.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Fuel filters from Quantum fuel systems showed up today. I know they are at present longer than the XCT filter. But I just looked at the picture of Pauly's "new" filter and it looks as though the element its self is just bent in half. Mine are white, his not so much. At any rate I have a furniture project in the works this week that has priority and bike only has 31k on it so not a got to have. I have not made a video before even on the cell phone, but maybe I can do a picture write up.
Perhaps a picture of the filter element you are speaking of?

Skin

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Perhaps a picture of the filter element you are speaking of?

Skin
So instead of my filter looking like this

Mine looks like this. I just discovered the black piece of hose looking thing does not presently fit over the barbs. Maybe have to heat in some hot water or something to make pliable. But will figure that out when I get to the filter job.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
So instead of my filter looking like this

Mine looks like this. I just discovered the black piece of hose looking thing does not presently fit over the barbs. Maybe have to heat in some hot water or something to make pliable. But will figure that out when I get to the filter job.
That doesn't look bad at all. It appears it reuses the entire housing except the filter element itself. I have a while before I have to worry about it but I am looking now to source the best course of action. Thanks for the pics.

Skin

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yup dont see a need to replace all that other stuff. Kind of silly the way its made if ya look at it. wh all the plastic hose and gizmo that goes on the pump. Why not a barb on the pump, a piece of fuel line and a couple clamps?

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Trying to change mine now but it's a real bastard trying to get the fgn pump out
Following the video but can't get that hose to pop put WTF didn't they make the hole in the tank just that bit bigger grrrrrrrr.... I'm giving up and putting the bolts back in and tank back on and just hope I haven't screwed anything up trying to get the pump out.
Wasted most of the afternoon on it and I hate giving up, but if I persist I'm afraid I'll break something.....

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Trying to change mine now but it's a real bastard trying to get the fgn pump out
Following the video but can't get that hose to pop put WTF didn't they make the hole in the tank just that bit bigger grrrrrrrr.... I'm giving up and putting the bolts back in and tank back on and just hope I haven't screwed anything up trying to get the pump out.
Wasted most of the afternoon on it and I hate giving up, but if I persist I'm afraid I'll break something.....
Maybe you needed a hand made tool like what Andre showed with the bend butter knife.

Did you happen to take any pics?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts