Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changing Rear Kingpin tire yourself? Dunlop D407 problems!

Has anyone successfully changed an 18" Bias Ply tire on their Kingpin?!

I've changed rear 17" sport tires on my sport bike several times with zero problems using a harbor freight motorcycle tire changer with no mar tools. This Kingpin tire Dunlop D407 appears to be impossible to mount with my tools. I had no problem removing the D417 but getting the second bead over the rim is not happening! These bias plys simply do not stretch. Before I take the tire and wheel to a shop I thought I'd check with you! Very frustrating!

·
13,033 Posts
don't what the temp is where your at but you could put it in the sun for a couple hours that will make it a little more flexible.
But the time spent heating up the tire you could go to the closest shop get it done and be home.
Use a lot of dish soap helps

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking a shop is my only option at this point. Don't want to risk marring the rim where the bead sits.

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Trying to remember a trick I used. Ratchet straps I think it was. Around the tire tread and bead, to pinch the beads together.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Get someone to help you keep the opposite side of the tire into the recessed area of the rim.
I'm thinking that would definitely help.

Trying to remember a trick I used. Ratchet straps I think it was. Around the tire tread and bead, to pinch the beads together.
I was thinking something like that might help, just not sure how you would get your strap out once the tire seats.

Before I take the wheel and tire to a shop I'm going to try 3 things:

1. leave the tire in the sun for a few hours and try it when it's hot
2. Built a square spacer box out of 2x4 to keep the brake disc off the ground so I can try this on the ground. My wheel holder is actually pushing the tire up from the bottom, making it more difficult to get the beads into the recessed area of the rim.
3. Once on the ground use either a 250 lb friend to stand on the tire on the opposite end to compress it into the recessed area or try to use ratcheting straps to compress the beads together.

Again, unless you have held a 180/55/B18 D407 in your hands you cannot appreciate how stiff it is. At least 2 times stiffer than equal sized radial tires. I layed it on it's side on the pavement and jumped on it with my 150 lbs and the beads only compressed about 1"!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Search on YouTube. It was tie wraps, then there is another video I saw, he used tire irons on a sporty bike tire. Also video on balancing at home if you don't use dynabeads

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mounting this 18" D407 is impossible with standard mounting tools. I'm calling around today for quotes to have a shop do it.

Clearly no one on here as ever successfully mounted a rear Kingpin Bias Ply themselves, specifically the D407 which has to be the stiffest tire I've ever seen. I can lay the tire on it's side on the pavement and jump on it with my 150 lbs and the tire only bends about 1 inch! My radials would smash all the way down if I did this.

Next time I change tires I'm going with Metzler or Bridgestone radials so I can actually change them myself like I've always done with my sport bike. :(

·
13,033 Posts
Never buy a Avon you'll turn blue and wind up in the hospital

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Most shops won't install tires that were not purchased from them. :mad:

Of note. I left the tire in the sun today and it became about 50% more flexible. Still not enough to make installing easy but it might be enough to let me get it mounted after I order some no mar tire irons and get a strong helper on standby!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Did you check independent shops? Cause I have a guy 4 miles from he mounts either way, also had a dealer mount some net purchased tires, he just charged me more. My indy 35 bucks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Clearly no one on here as ever successfully mounted a rear Kingpin Bias Ply themselves, specifically the D407 which has to be the stiffest tire I've ever seen.
I mounted a D407 last summer on my 04 Kingpin. I bought a Cycle Hill Tire Changer to do it myself because I didn't trust any of the dealers to not scratch my wheels.
I have to say, it was not the easiest thing I have ever done. I snapped something in my elbow in the process and eventually had to get my wife to hold the tire so it wouldn't run around the rim.
I just used the tire changer tonight to change the front tire on my wife's HD so eventually the changer will save money. Actually, I may never get my money out of it in tire changes but at least I won't have any scratched wheels. thumb up

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mounted a D407 last summer on my 04 Kingpin. I bought a Cycle Hill Tire Changer to do it myself because I didn't trust any of the dealers to not scratch my wheels.
I have to say, it was not the easiest thing I have ever done. I snapped something in my elbow in the process and eventually had to get my wife to hold the tire so it wouldn't run around the rim.
I just used the tire changer tonight to change the front tire on my wife's HD so eventually the changer will save money. Actually, I may never get my money out of it in tire changes but at least I won't have any scratched wheels. thumb up
Nice! Good to hear from someone who has actually mounted a D407 on a Kingpin! thumb up

Can I ask you a few questions about how you got the second bead on the rim?
1. Did you use the No Mar spoon bars or only the mount/demount bar? I have ordered 2 of the 21" no mar spoon bars.
2. How did you keep the bead on one side in the drop center of the rim while you worked the other side over the rim?

I have a harbor freight tire changer with the mojo lever and nylon rim seats. It works well with radials. My problem is I can't get the bead to stay down in the drop center of the rim on one end while I work the bead over the rim with my mount bar on the other end. I'm thinking that putting the rim flat on my deck has a higher chance of success so we can really get some force down on the tire to compress it into the drop center. Once it's down there I'm going to hit it with ratchet straps around the rim and tire to keep it compressed into the drop center. If this works I plan to do a write-up to help someone else do this because this has been a very stressful experience and no riding the Kingpin for over a week so far. :crzy:

·
Registered
931 Posts
If your using those rim protectors that clip on, Chuck them and the heavy plastic sheet protectors. The clip on one's get on the way of the bead

·
Registered
203 Posts
It really was pretty difficult and I thought I did some damage to my elbow trying to keep the top bead in the drop center. The tire just kept running around the rim and causing me a ton of grief. I got the wife to come out and help by pushing the bead down and keeping it down as well as helping me stop the tire from spinning. After she came out to help, it was less than 10 minutes to get the top bead on. I have never gotten any of the spoons from No-Mar but I did buy a "Yellow Thing" to help in the future. The whole rear tire mounting took me 2+ hrs.
I have since seen in a video on No-Mar's website (I believe) that if you use small wood blocks to keep the bead in the center of the rim as you go, it will help.
Good luck and hopefully you will like the D407 after all of this...I like mine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your using those rim protectors that clip on, Chuck them and the heavy plastic sheet protectors. The clip on one's get on the way of the bead

I'm only using rim protector no mar spoons, they have nylon tips.

It really was pretty difficult and I thought I did some damage to my elbow trying to keep the top bead in the drop center. The tire just kept running around the rim and causing me a ton of grief. I got the wife to come out and help by pushing the bead down and keeping it down as well as helping me stop the tire from spinning. After she came out to help, it was less than 10 minutes to get the top bead on. I have never gotten any of the spoons from No-Mar but I did buy a "Yellow Thing" to help in the future. The whole rear tire mounting took me 2+ hrs.
I have since seen in a video on No-Mar's website (I believe) that if you use small wood blocks to keep the bead in the center of the rim as you go, it will help.
Good luck and hopefully you will like the D407 after all of this...I like mine.
Thanks for the help! I will have a strong friend available this weekend to help hold the bead down into the drop center. I also saw that No Mar mounting video and the wood block trick. The problem is on these tires the wood blocks do keep the bead down but they also push it away from the drop center. Which is why I think that a combination of using the No Mar spoons to pry the bead down, insert a wood block and then ratchet strap the tire to the rim will force the bead into the drop center. It's worth a shot! I'm also going to be using some real lube instead of dishsoap. I think a slicker bead would be much easier to force over that rim.

I will keep this thread updated. Thanks to all who have offered advice!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well still no luck! This tire sucks! By sucks I mean it's the stiffest sidewall and bead of any tire I've ever seen including race car tires! The bead simply has no give and the Kingpin's "drop center" is not deep enough to get enough play to stretch the bread over the rim! I could put a little more force on it but we are putting so much force on it I'm worried I'll either crack the rim or rip the tire bead!

I'm going to try one last option: taking it to my Uncle who has mounted 16" bias ply tires on his Cross Country. Maybe his experience will help me with this S.O.B! If we can't get it he has a private motorcycle shop that does tires.

This has been a frustrating experience. Not just because it's taken so long it's that I hate taking something to a shop I should be able to do myself. I can garuntee you that if I end up taking it to a shop I will never again buy an overpriced Dunlop D407 for this bike. I would rather put $140 radials on the rear every 8,000 miles than deal with this crap.

If you are thinking of putting a D407 on your Kingpin either have a shop do it or think about a different tire! :crzy:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts