Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
13,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did it on a 90 degree day with humidity in the high 60's. More sweat then any thing.
Girlfriend brought me out some disinfecting wipes for my hands and with out thinking I started using them to clean break calipers.
Wow the dirt all most fell off. I used it on some dryad on bugs and they came right off. It does leave a film behind so you have to wax paint. Read label about paint.
Looked at break pads and they looked like they were hanging up on the pin that holds them in place. So I cleaned my pin with some 200 sandpaper. Called a old supper bike tech and asked him why. He said the hole in the pad that the pin slides threw is to sharp. He said put a chamfer on the hole and it will slide easy after that. So I did. Road the bike and breaks seam firmer. Don't know if chamfer helped.
Note to self never do any work on high humid day

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
haha its always a humid day when a person really has to work isnt it! im changing my tire tonight , its not so bad right now though.

i have seen where bounce fabric softener sheets are suppose to work good on bugs!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Are you changing your own tire? I'd like to give it a shot, as my tire will likely need to be changed out very soon...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
yep, been changing them myself since my first bike. i use to work at a tire shop, i change/fix most of my own car tires too, as long as the wheels arent to fancy. i have a small pair of tire bars that are for motorcycles, and usually end up soaking wet by the time im done!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
changing tire

I have a 25" floor fan on when doing anything outside. One way to get old tire off is a saws all to cut tire and dremel cut off blade to cut bead. Just go slow when close to rim. I going to change front tire Friday. I also use transmission fluid to put new tire on rim.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
So after you change your own tire how do you balance it?

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
My guess, Dyna Beads or some such.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Do you use the bead breaker and the motorcycle tire changer attachement from Harbor Freight?

Dyna Beads isn't balancing a tire besides I have tube tires.
Balancing a tire is checking it and adding weights if needed.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Are you changing your own tire? I'd like to give it a shot, as my tire will likely need to be changed out very soon...
Broggy Buddy, are you doing the rear or the front? Front is easy if you have a lift, the rear is not as easy, but easier than most bikes. It helps if you have a lift that leaves the wheels hanging and a floor jack to place under the rear to relieve the weight while you disconnect the shock bolts. Then you ease the wheel down with the jack. The axle can be removed w/o removing the pipes.thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Do you use the bead breaker and the motorcycle tire changer attachement from Harbor Freight?

Dyna Beads isn't balancing a tire besides I have tube tires.

Balancing a tire is checking it and adding weights if needed.

i stomp most beads down and get them to break, or depending on the rim i have an old manual bead breaker , and i also have a funny shape bar , kinda L shaped that works, then i have different spoon bars for dismount and mount. and yes balance beads is balancing. but ive heard pros and cons about using them in tubes, i have used them in tubes with luck , but 90% of the time a motorcycle doesnt need enough weight to feel. i use to spin balance my own, use a pair of jackstands, an axle and a lot of guessing. i have also laced my own spoked wheels, which takes tons of patience at times.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Broggy Buddy, are you doing the rear or the front? Front is easy if you have a lift, the rear is not as easy, but easier than most bikes. It helps if you have a lift that leaves the wheels hanging and a floor jack to place under the rear to relieve the weight while you disconnect the shock bolts. Then you ease the wheel down with the jack. The axle can be removed w/o removing the pipes.thumb up
I will have to change them both. I am contemplating doing it myself, so I won't have to find a shop to mount a car tire; I'll just do it myself!

I do have such a lift, thanks for the advice about removing the shock bolts.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
60% humidity ?? :ltr: I would be outside all the time if we had 60% humidity. :mad:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I will have to change them both. I am contemplating doing it myself, so I won't have to find a shop to mount a car tire; I'll just do it myself!

I do have such a lift, thanks for the advice about removing the shock bolts.
My story is basically the same as DTMML. I put myself through college turning wrenches and changing tires so I change all of my own tires. But I also bought the Cycle Hill motorcycle tire stand. It has a stand and a bead breaker and I have a motorcycle jack.

I can break down a tire by hand with a set of spoons and a bead breaker. I've done it a hundred times. I've got the tools to do it. But I'm not doing it anymore. It's a lot of work and if you've never broken down a tire before there is a technique to it and even then it's still a lot of work and I promise that your going to scratch the wheels.

If your the type of guy who wants to learn how to do everything yourself then go ahead and try it. But I'll put it this way. I have a ton of experience changing tires. If I didn't have a tire stand and bead breaker I would not be changing tires myself. I would buy tires off the internet, have them shipped to my house, then pull the wheels off the bike and take them to a shop to change the tires. You can typically get it done for about $25 a tire and it would be well it to me.

I don't mean to discourage you from trying something new. I'm just giving you my experience and opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Good point Rajder! the biggest reason i started doing my own bike tires is the first time i called a dealer and wanted a tire dismounted they told me $75, i said no way and been doing mine ever since. their reason was it was a. 77 cb750 wheel and since it was old the machine might have trouble , its the same style wheel as many new wheels, they just dont like older bikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I don't mean to discourage you from trying something new. I'm just giving you my experience and opinion.
That's why these forums are a gem. Lots of information from a lot of different experiences.
Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
High sixties humidity sounds great to me VJ. we tend to stay in the high eighties to or at 100%.
Did it on a 90 degree day with humidity in the high 60's. More sweat then any thing.

Girlfriend brought me out some disinfecting wipes for my hands and with out thinking I started using them to clean break calipers.

Wow the dirt all most fell off. I used it on some dryad on bugs and they came right off. It does leave a film behind so you have to wax paint. Read label about paint.

Looked at break pads and they looked like they were hanging up on the pin that holds them in place. So I cleaned my pin with some 200 sandpaper. Called a old supper bike tech and asked him why. He said the hole in the pad that the pin slides threw is to sharp. He said put a chamfer on the hole and it will slide easy after that. So I did. Road the bike and breaks seam firmer. Don't know if chamfer helped.

Note to self never do any work on high humid day

2012 Vegas 8 ball
Memphis TN

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haven't changed a tire on my XCT but changed all of my own on the Venture. Used my vice on the work bench and some blocks of wood to break the beads or used the shop press and blocks of wood. Bought a couple of tire irons from Harbor freight for M/C. I generally mount all of my semi tires so I have a bucket of that jelly like soap that I use for mounting the new rubber. Would be easier to take them off and carry them to a MC dealer but there 40 miles away and most times you leave something and wait till they can get to it.

As far as balancing I don't bother with it and I know others who ride wings and crotch rockets that don't balance there tires either. So far I have never had a problem or vibration that was tire related.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts