Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess there are 10's of thousands of charities in the United States. I have them calling all the time, get stuff in the mail all the time. I'm really getting irritated about it. I throw the mail in the trash, hang up when they call. I'm pretty sick of the Republican Party wanting donations. I have been hounded the last few months by charities. Most of them I have never heard of. Many I'm sure are just a scam. I put my phones on the no call list but still get them. When you get close to going on Medicare you have constant calls and letters from insurance agents. I think I'm going to get one of those air can horns and start blasting them. Well I have had my rant.........

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
For a while, I was donating to a couple vets charities until I learned they sell your info and then I got inundated with requests from dozens. Sadly, I had to stop. The only charity I give to is the local Salvation Army, because they do so much good and so little goes to administration.
Politically, I only contribute to local candidates, never the national.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How many of you guys remember the little plastic indian figurines that used to come near christmas to try to get you to give money? Late 60s early 70s or so? Does anyone remember what the charity was?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I give weekly to my Church and frequently take unwanted clothing and goods to the Salvation Army and to the local women and children's shelter. I found out when my wife had breast cancer that the charity racing for a cure did absolutely nothing for those with cancer.

·
13,090 Posts
I started doing research on these charity's. Now I have a list of just about 100 that will never get my money. As far as political party's go I tell them you give me more money then I can give.
I never see more so I never give and now we have a tax hungry governor I'll only give gas the gas pump so I can ride. (hope someday)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
When I was in the USAF we were ummmmm strongly encouraged to donate to Combined Federal Campaign CFC. Once a year big push, you signed up and they pulled it out of your paycheck pretax. A dollar a month or whatever. So they had a booklet to go with the paperwork. One year I did a little research and this book told how much basically went to the cause and how much went to everything else, salaries, admin etc. Now we have the interweb to look that stuff up. There use to be a free site to check up on these folks. Now I cant find it.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Then there's the Clinton Foundation "Charities" with a 99.9% administration overhead. In contrast, RICZ's Foundation For His Impoverished Motorcycle has an administration cost f only 5%, the rest is guaranteed to be spent on worthwhile accessories to bring his motorcycle to a healthy life. Items such as, exhausts, lighting, engine mods, custom wheels and lots of chrome goodies will certainly bring his motorcycle out of the doldrums and into a brighter and noisier life. So dig deep and help a fellow motorcyclist in his hours of his greatest need.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then there's the Clinton Foundation "Charities" with a 99.9% administration overhead. In contrast, RICZ's Foundation For His Impoverished Motorcycle has an administration cost f only 5%, the rest is guaranteed to be spent on worthwhile accessories to bring his motorcycle to a healthy life. Items such as, exhausts, lighting, engine mods, custom wheels and lots of chrome goodies will certainly bring his motorcycle out of the doldrums and into a brighter and noisier life. So dig deep and help a fellow motorcyclist in his hours of his greatest need.
LOL Does the 5% go to your wife?

·
Registered
12,273 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My wifes' mother used to donate to some charities. She died about 10 yrs ago.. Wife sent them all letters saying she had passed away and because of that she would no longer be able to donate. Wife was executor of estate so her mothers maill came to us. They still send her requests to send money but to our address. They never quit.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometimes I wonder how they make any money with all the junk mail they send out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The cost to mail a letter for a non profit business must be peanuts, plus they sell your name, which in itself is lucrative. I remember reading yrs ago that a name and address was worth about 40 cents, add a phone number and it went up. Add an email address and it went up more. If they ever gave money it was worth way more. even a name, address and phone that the victim called and told them not to bother them increased its value because they got a response.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts