Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a cheap commuter bike and have narrowed it down to the V-Strom or the Versys. I've had the 2015 Cross Country 1 year 9 months and it already has 37,500...I'm flat wearing it out so a cheap commuter for work and around town and the Cross bike for road trips sounds like the answer.

Place here has a brand new V-Strom for $4999.

I'm looking for opinions on these from those that have owned or ridden them.

https://www.google.com/#q=2016+suzuki+v-strom+650+xt+abs&spf=1

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2016-Versys-650-ABS

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is easy for me, I wouldn't ever own a Kawasaki. Personal opinions.

If I were in the market I would go with a Yamaha FZ-07...

But knowing me I would probably go a little more and get a Ducati Scrambler or a BMW R Nine T.

If you're going to ride it everyday for that many miles and be seen on... Make sure it's something comfortable, fun and something you can feel confident being seen on lol. If it's just about the miles and commuting then get a 100mpg scooter.

If between those two bikes, the Vstrom gets my vote. Those are actually great bikes and can rack the miles on them. I believe Suzuki is rated the most reliable brand in the world too.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
650R Kaw

Rode a friends 650R Kaw a few years back. Very nice bike. Same engine as in the Versys. The guy did not ride it hard and he usually got around 50+mpg around town. He sold it with around 3000 miles on it for around $2500. Divorce can make bikes disappear on the cheap. The Suzuki has been around forever, good and bad point. That Yamaha-ha looks like a ton of fun also. Hay how about an enduro, maybe an old Suzuki DR400, could be fun and cheap.

·
Registered
189 Posts
how about an enduro
Now you started it. Enduros/supermotos.

KTM: 350 EXC-f, 450 EXC-f or 500 EXC-f

Husqvarna: FE 350, 450, 501. 701 Enduro.
Supermoto FS 450 or 701 Supermoto

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Fun

They can be a lot of fun. I tell you that KTM SuperDuke is a nice bike. For around town I would not mind their 600 or 650 KTM thumper. But then again KTMs are not cheap. Think he is trying for a more inexpensive bike.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Guy I know has the v strom. Says its bulletproof.

For it's size it runs out pretty good the few times I've been on it. He loves it. But he's a lot smaller than I am too.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stopped and looked at the $5000 2016 V-Strom and decided to buy it. I went home and had a neighbor drive me back and the salesman said someone walked in as I was leaving and bought it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I stopped and looked at the $5000 2016 V-Strom and decided to buy it. I went home and had a neighbor drive me back and the salesman said someone walked in as I was leaving and bought it.
What a dick salesman.

·
12,983 Posts
wear you live I would say a good off road on road would be great if your into adventure.
Coming home from a long day and seeing some road that says take me and see where it goes. That would be slick

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
don't worry, I'm pretty sure they made more than one of those.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
You'd get a decent steel frame Vic for that sort of money over there wouldn't ya?
Better the devil ya know!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You'd get a decent steel frame Vic for that sort of money over there wouldn't ya?
Better the devil ya know!
I was thinking an Octane as a 2nd bike for myself. I don't think my wife would agree on the 2nd bike part though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What a dick salesman.
As a guy in sales(not vehicle) most arnold schwarzenegger's never come back, can't blame the salesman. Know a guy with a fz09 and he loves it. I would think the fz07 would bring a few smiles.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was thinking an Octane as a 2nd bike for myself. I don't think my wife would agree on the 2nd bike part though.
Wanted one of those myself until I sat on one. I'm only 5'9 and felt cramped still think they would be fun for around the block/bar hopper.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As a guy in sales(not vehicle) most arnold schwarzenegger's never come back, can't blame the salesman. Know a guy with a fz09 and he loves it. I would think the fz07 would bring a few smiles.
First one with the money wins.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is why I kept my Nomad. For what I have in it and the use I've gotten from it and the life still left in it, I don't care if I ride it into eternity or till the wheels fall off. Easy to maintain, lots of carry capacity for grocery getter, etc. Still looks good.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts