Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be riding my wife's XCT from Michigan to its/our new home in Hendersonville, NC this coming weekend. My route is superslab the whole way as this is not a sight-seeing or pleasure trip. I will take I75 south to Knoxville, then I40 east to I26 south. If it is not raining, I will leave Midland, MI early on Saturday, Oct. 7 and go about 700 miles and probably stay near Newport, TN - give or take 100 miles. Then on Sunday, I will go the rest of the way to Hendersonville in the morning. If it is raining, I will leave Friday and ride for ~5 hrs to near Dayton. Then on Saturday, I will ride from near Dayton to maybe Newport, TN or, preferably somewhere further - say maybe around Clyde, NC or maybe even the west side of Asheville. There is no benefit to me getting to Hendersonville on Saturday since I have no place to stay there. Then on Sunday, I will take the bike to the place I will be storing it for the month until we move there, leave it, get a ride to the airport, and leave on a business trip around 1:00 Sunday from Asheville.

So, with all that background, I have two questions about hotel recommendations.

1) Do any of you have experience with a cheap hotel around the Newport, TN area? All I need is a place to put my head for the night. I don't care much about fanciness. All I really care about is not catching some disease or bringing home bedbugs.

2) Any recommendations for the same type of hotel in the Clyde, NC to Asheville area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I travel that route often between TN and NC. But I typically just use my Holiday Inn app when booking rooms. I usually eat at the Sagebrush Steakhouse when it's lunch or time and I'm cruising through their. But there are several options for meals and hotels in and around the Newport (I-40.TN-321) exit. The closer you get to Ashville, the fewer options there are for a low cost hotel.

Another option is trivago.com but the rates are a bit higher on a Saturday night. :
https://www.trivago.com/?aDateRange[arr]=2017-10-07&aDateRange[dep]=2017-10-08&aPriceRange[to]=0&aPriceRange[from]=0&iPathId=70428&aGeoCode[lng]=-83.194923&aGeoCode[lat]=35.961899&iGeoDistanceItem=0&iGeoDistanceLimit=16093&aCategoryRange=0,1,2,3,4,5&aOverallLiking=1,2,3,4,5&sOrderBy=relevance desc&bTopDealsOnly=false&iRoomType=1&cpt=7042803&iIncludeAll=0&aSortingOrderBoosting[]=distance_poi&iViewType=0&bIsSeoPage=false&bIsSitemap=false&

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I went on TripAdviser and it looks like the cheapest rooms are in Maggie Valley. Dunno if that's anywhere near where you're going.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g49038-Clyde_North_Carolina-Hotel-Deals.html
Travel Tip: For cheaper rooms, take the old highway through a town, that's where the mom & pop motels are. The franchises are near the Interstates. That's where the cafes are that the locals eat at too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm gonna reply to this post. Just to add my two cents. I haven't stayed in a hotel in over 3 years. I use AirBnb exclusively. Whether traveling for work or for fun....

Prices are better. More privacy. No kids or animals. No noisy neighbors. I can get a little as I need or as fancy as I need. And I have saved a ton of money. I have never traveled and NOT found a listing. And if its for a vacation you can stay in locations that normally you would never get close to with a hotel. Or save money.

just my thoughts....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts