Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

It's been a while since I posted, want to say hey and hope all is well! I've been doing some research and I've found some great information, but really need some clearing up when it comes to specific codes I've got on my 2013 Victory Highball.

A couple things first: I have a Cobra PowerPro CVT Fi2000, stock exhaust with baffles removed.

I was riding Saturday and received the following codes: 0 17 520204 and 1 17 520205. I took it down to my local Victory dealer and had them run the codes, seems as though I was running lean in both cylinders. The tech cleared the codes, I started my bike and was prompted with 0 17 520204, not 1 17 520205. The tech said that my bike was still running lean and he would look into it. After informing him about the PowerPro, he immediately began bad mouthing the CVT and told me that was my issue, and that I should take it off. I thought to myself this was a possibility, so I asked him to clear the codes one more time and I would journey home to remove the CVT. During my trek home, the codes came and went. When I got home, there were no codes on the bike at all, nothing in the readout and no other issues. I decided to leave the CVT on and continue riding. Since Saturday, I've put on up to 100 miles and I've not seen the codes come back at all, with the CVT still on it.

I'm curious if anyone has some ideas, information, or knowledge about this? I would really appreciate the assistance!

Thanks
-HT

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked, and I understand that they have issues, just as anything else in life obviously. But if there is anyone that has more information, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
It's true; those codes are occurring probably because the Cobra unit is confusing the main ECU. I was getting the same codes. I know one way to resolve this is to unplug your O2 sensors. Just don't use them. Tie up all of the extra cabling and get it out of your way. You may also be able to carefully open up the Cobra unit and turn up the adjustment dial a little bit. You can probably call Cobra and they will help you out.

I have adjusted my dial in the unit and I might even try to plug in the O2 sensors again for the hell of it to see what happens...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's true; those codes are occurring probably because the Cobra unit is confusing the main ECU. I was getting the same codes. I know one way to resolve this is to unplug your O2 sensors. Just don't use them. Tie up all of the extra cabling and get it out of your way. You may also be able to carefully open up the Cobra unit and turn up the adjustment dial a little bit. You can probably call Cobra and they will help you out.

I have adjusted my dial in the unit and I might even try to plug in the O2 sensors again for the hell of it to see what happens...
Thanks Broggyr!

I really appreciate that! I may sound dumb, but does unplugging the O2 sensors cause any issues? Like am I at risk of ruining my Victory?

Also, I found this post (http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=13848) , and I've been reading it over and over again, still trying to wrap my head around it all. I called cobra today, but the tech was on lunch. I will be calling again shortly.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I've been running my O2 plugs off now for over a year. No issues for me. Without them, the engine runs a tad richer. One of the first things we learn to do as new Vic owners is to unplug those pesky O2 sensors :)

There are many many posts about unplugging the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So a little more on this issue...

I live in New Mexico, where the temperature likes to fluctuate on occasion, for instance yesterday our high was 97* and the low was 65*, at 3pm MT we were hit with rain showers and the temp dropped roughly 10 degrees in 3-5 minutes. Today's forecast is 100* for the high and 69* for our low.

With all that said, yesterday morning rode to work at 6am and had no issues with codes. I took my lunch around 11am when it was much warmer in the day and my Highball threw both codes again. Got back from lunch and parked it, left work at 3pm and no codes yet again.

I've yet to get in a hold of anyone at Cobra, but I did leave my contact information with their voice mail services.

Any further suggestions, ideas, or knowledge on this? I will most likely be doing my O2 sensors here soon, as suggested.

Appreciate it!

-HT

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
HT, Broggy is correct with his approach to help you. In numerous conversations it has been determined that the Victory ECU gets confused by the presence of the cobra unit with O2's connected. The way I ran mine (when I had one) was to run with the Vic only (factory) O2's connected. Leaving the Cobras O2 harness wrapped up and put away. Why is it there then? Think EPA.
You may also just run no O2 connections at all. This will not harm your bike but may produce more pooping on decal as it will richen you mixture a tad. Running no baffles at all may give your bike a lack in back pressure which will make popping even more present. Try the above scenarios and check with Big city thunder for a set of performance baffles for you pipes They are well designed and if you like loud pipes they will not disappoint. If you don't already have it, get an kit designed for your bike as well. Disconnecting O2's has been proven to create no harm to your bike. Again think EPA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HT, Broggy is correct with his approach to help you. In numerous conversations it has been determined that the Victory ECU gets confused by the presence of the cobra unit with O2's connected. The way I ran mine (when I had one) was to run with the Vic only (factory) O2's connected. Leaving the Cobras O2 harness wrapped up and put away. Why is it there then? Think EPA.
You may also just run no O2 connections at all. This will not harm your bike but may produce more pooping on decal as it will richen you mixture a tad. Running no baffles at all may give your bike a lack in back pressure which will make popping even more present. Try the above scenarios and check with Big city thunder for a set of performance baffles for you pipes They are well designed and if you like loud pipes they will not disappoint. If you don't already have it, get an kit designed for your bike as well. Disconnecting O2's has been proven to create no harm to your bike. Again think EPA.
Thanks Slick! I read the post you had about 2 years ago with the same issues, that's where I've been trying to get the most information from for these codes! My exhaust, to explain as best as I can, is the stock tips cut to 14 inches, slash cut with no baffles. Not sure if I can get baffles for them at this point. When you suggest a kit designed for my bike, are you speaking to the exhaust kit specifically? I will check out Big City Thunder as well, I'm pretty sure I've been there a couple times looking at items.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Thanks Slick! I read the post you had about 2 years ago with the same issues, that's where I've been trying to get the most information from for these codes! My exhaust, to explain as best as I can, is the stock tips cut to 14 inches, slash cut with no baffles. Not sure if I can get baffles for them at this point. When you suggest a kit designed for my bike, are you speaking to the exhaust kit specifically? I will check out Big City Thunder as well, I'm pretty sure I've been there a couple times looking at items.

Thanks again!
Its ok that you cut your pipes back. The BCT baffles are about 5" long and if you can slip them up into the pipe about 6 " then you can just drill a small hole behind the pipe and secure them there with a nut and bolt. I have them on my VTX1300c with Jug Hugger pipes and they made an incredible difference in mid range power. They will help with torque, are a little deeper in sound compared to a spiral core baffle and sound incredible.

The kit I was referring to was an air kit. Check Lloyds site if you do not have one. If you cant get right with the Power Pro then your next purchase should be the PCV IMO. Get the baffles and air kit 1st before you invest more into the fuel tuner. Save up cause you will need a DYNOTUNE too. Then I have no doubt you will be a happy Victory owner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke with Cobra today, they suggested that I leave O2 all alone and start with the slight adjustment on the unit. I'm going to make that adjustment tonight when I get out of work, then I will see where to go from there.

Slick,

Thanks for all the information. I'm waiting for my pipes to come back tomorrow from the shop, had them re-ceramic coated. I will definitely be looking into the BCT baffles and an air kit!

-HT

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Sorry for being late to the party but I just saw this thread this afternoon.. I've had the PowrPro in for a while and am trying to work with Cobra to figure out what is causing the error codes and why.
(btw: Cobra is not very responsive, but I'm trying to get to the actual manufacturer of the turner).
Here's the original e-mail I sent to Cobra detailing what's going on.
I'm writing this as a follow up to the installation and setup of a Fi2000 PowrPro on a 2013 Victory Cross Country. The tuner was installed on the Victory in its stock engine configuration at ~ 7k miles. I installed per instructions and verified proper operation. After running about 300miles the bike produced these error codes: Err 1 17 520205 and Err 0 17 5202049(indicating lean fuel conditions in the front and rear cylinders). After some research I learned about the the internal adjustment on the PowrPro and moved it from the 7oc to the 9oc position, this eliminated the errors for about another 350miles, after which the same errors started again. At this point I decided to try one last "fix". I disconnected the PowrPro's O2 sensor connections from the loop and reconnected the OEM plugs. I have ridden ~1200 miles since doing this and have not had any re-occurrence of error codes. I am not exactly happy with the situation. Running with the PowrPro's O2 sensors disconnected I can somewhat "feel" the turner working under acceleration but I have significant decel. popping and occasional backfires between shifts. Running with the O2 sensors connected virtually eliminates decel. popping and backfires, but as I said above, causes the error codes listed. I chose to add the tuner 1st to reduce the decel. popping and backfires of the stock bike and handle any future intake/exhaust upgrades I might do. At this point after purchasing the PowrPro I feel like I'm back to square 1 and not getting anywhere near my $400 worth out of your tuner. I'd like to work on this further with Cobra or a PowrPro engineer so the tuner can be installed as designed and I can have my bike properly tuned in all areas. Please advise. Thank you
My personal feeling is that error codes are not indicating a true lean condition but are happening because of miscommunication caused by the PowrPro O2 feedback to the ECM. I'm basing this opinion on how my bike runs with the with the ECM vs. the PowrPro connected at the O2 sensors. I have not tried running with no O2 sensors connected yet.
One more thing. I was told by Cobra tech support that with the PowrPro disconnected from the O2 sensors it will add fuel during throttle on conditions(CVT) and the bike's ECM will handle steady state and closed throttle fueling. Again, I do believe this to be true based on how my bike runs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So bringing this back up, seeing as my bike is starting to run a little funky again.

After speaking with cobra they suggested to change the PowerPro from the 7 o'clock position to the 9 o'clock position, as well as look into disconnecting the O2 sensors. I've done both and the bike stopped throwing codes, as well as ran fine for a while. I'm not experiencing a rough, low idle, and a pretty bad decel popping. I've also experienced the bike dying at stop lights when I'm sitting waiting for the green.

I'm wondering what to do at this point. Should I readjust the cobra back to the 7 o'clock position or what are y'alls thoughts?

Truly appreciate the assistance!

-HT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts