Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and already bringing questions...
So, I disconnected the sensors and got the engine light on the bike, I have a 17' magnum and I cant find anything on the web relating this issue.
Also wanted to confirm that this is not a bad move on my part being that I just reach the 500 mile break in period.!!
I wont stand riding with the light on even if this is not an issue. Please let me know if this common.
Thanks in advance.
Ride safe everybody!!!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
You need O2 eliminators for the 16's on up to shut the light off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great!!!
I'll start searching for those, in the meantime is fine to run without the eliminators, right?
Thanks for the prompt response.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The ECM is doing exactly what its supposed to. Telling you something is wrong with the engine. At least in its opinion. Everything is programed to have those O2 sensors give feed back to the ECM so it regulates the fuel injection correctly, adjusts the timing, and burns off the bad stuff in the CATS. Once you disconnect them, now the ECM goes "Houston we have a problem" and lets you know by turning on the warning lite. With the O2 disconnected it dumps more fuel than needed, so mileage goes down. Also because you are now putting more "raw fuel" into the cylinders it dont all burn. So you get unburned gas in the Cats, so they run hotter to burn off the unburned fuel. If you punch out the CATs it kind of goes the other way. It leans out, which makes the Cylinders run hot because some of what the fuel does is cool the cylinders.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So if I understand correctly, this is not a good idea since I pulled the baffles completely out of the exhaust, right?
I apologize if I ask stupid questions, just want to make sure I dont hurt my bike in the long run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2017 Highball. I used the plugs supplied by Dobeck. Dobeck plugs are a single capacitor plug for the O2 sensor. Check engine light still comes on after installing plugs. Not sure what the difference is in the 2017's. PC5 has a double capacitor plug for the O2 sensor with their set up and might give them a try.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I decided to connect them back until I get the plugs, the codes are gone but the check engine light still on. Is there a way to reset it? Or should I wait a little longer and it will disappear? Thanks for letting me know about the dobeck plugs, I thought that they fixed the engine light problem. I guess I'll keep researching.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have a 3" Magnum ....:grin

Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
So I decided to connect them back until I get the plugs, the codes are gone but the check engine light still on. Is there a way to reset it? Or should I wait a little longer and it will disappear? Thanks for letting me know about the dobeck plugs, I thought that they fixed the engine light problem. I guess I'll keep researching.
Disconnect the battery and reconnect. While you're there, put some star washers on the terminals to keep everything tight. Many Vic problems are caused by bad battery connections. It's best to take care of it now, as opposed to during a ride:grin

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, you guys are a funny bunch.
Thanks Doob, I'll do that and hope that the annoying light goes off.
I'll post after>
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Annoying warning lights can be fixed by applying black electrical tape over the top of them....easy!:devil

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. So I disconnected the battery, which by the way was loose, waited a few minutes and try it again. No codes stored but still have the engine light on.
Any other sugestions?

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Ok. So I disconnected the battery, which by the way was loose, waited a few minutes and try it again. No codes stored but still have the engine light on.
Any other suggestions?

I killed my battery on my previous bike (highball) after a renegade horse shoe broke a connection on the underside of the bike (guessing it was coming out of the alternator). Anyway, after a new battery was installed, my check engine light disappeared almost immediately.
If possible, ride the bike around til it gets up to full operating temperature. If it doesn't go away on its own, you might have to visit, or at least call, the dealership. Just tell them it came on because of the loose connection, NOT because of the disconnected o2 sensors. :devil

·
13,262 Posts
Guess go to dealer. Tell him nothing. Ask if they have time to look at it.
Tell them you only have a hour before you have to leave and you can't leave the bike.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hmm Usually disconnecting the battery for like 5 min or so will clear the light. May still have a code stored, but light is out. So my Dodge durango to clear the light and codes you have to disconnect battery and then turn the key to on position. (actually I think "start") Most ck engine lights once problem is corrected will reset after X amount of key starts, like20 or so. Of course my info is based on automotive but I wouldnt think these things are much different.

Reactions: Bullypack3

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hmm Usually disconnecting the battery for like 5 min or so will clear the light. May still have a code stored, but light is out. So my Dodge durango to clear the light and codes you have to disconnect battery and then turn the key to on position. (actually I think "start") Most ck engine lights once problem is corrected will reset after X amount of key starts, like20 or so. Of course my info is based on automotive but I wouldnt think these things are much different.
I wasn't about to write the same thing.
Disconnecting the O2's probably set a hard code that won't be removed by disconnecting the battery, ride it for a bit and see if it goes out

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After riding this morning to work, 45 minutes/20+miles, the light still there. but no codes, I guess is time to call the dealer, since they are 120 miles away i was hoping to resolve this on my own. We'll see, Thanks again for all your help.

ride safe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts