Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today leaving school I fired my 2013 judge up, threw on my helmet and gloves and took off. About a mile down the road I hit a red light and sat for a couple minutes. Just before the light turned green my check engine light came on. Drove it the 200 yards down the street to the work parking lot and shut it off and let it sit a minute. Fired back up and rode around the parking lot a few times and no check engine light. Is it possible it started to get hot sitting at the light? It's about 102 outside today. Only mods are a victory performance pipe.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Check your oil level please ? Vics can get really hot, here it is so hot every day, and the engine no problem, i has cut out on me a few times in front of a light but maybe nothing to do with the heat ..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
not sure how much if an issue it is on steel frames but check your battery connections also, on the cross bikes they tend to work loose and will kick a check engine light

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've had it less than a week. I test rode it last Sunday and it kept wanting to die at stop lights. The salesman said it was the battery, and he threw a new one in it and I rode it again and it runs like a champ. It came with a fancy ctek charger and in the morning it is full (8 lights), but when I plug it in at night it is all the way down to only one light, but quickly goes up to 2 or 3. The service dept was gone Sunday when I bought it so the salesman did the batt swap. Maybe he left a connection loose? Or maybe a bad charging system?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a multimeter here at work. I could see the output with the bike running. I know cars should be at about 14 volts with the vehicle running. Should a bike be around the same?

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Check your oil level please ? Vics can get really hot, here it is so hot every day, and the engine no problem, i has cut out on me a few times in front of a light but maybe nothing to do with the heat ..
Ai ai ai ai, the OP stated engine light ..... My bad ..... Not check oil light ....

:mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys were right! As a mechanic I guess I just assumed anyone could swap a battery. I'll tell him not to quit his sales job. Both the positive and negative bolts tightened down a good 5 turns.

What code did it throw?
Is there a way to check the codes?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the codes will go away now that the cables are tight

·
13,177 Posts
put a lock washer on each battery bolt. It will help you a lot

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can check the code using the "trigger" button on the left grip. I havent had a code in a while but I think with bike off, ignition on you can scroll through the screen on your speedo and it will bring you to the code. I think it will only do it while the Check light is on. Then you can download a manual from Bbob, 2012 Vegas will cover you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can check the code using the "trigger" button on the left grip. I havent had a code in a while but I think with bike off, ignition on you can scroll through the screen on your speedo and it will bring you to the code. I think it will only do it while the Check light is on. Then you can download a manual from Bbob, 2012 Vegas will cover you
put a lock washer on each battery bolt. It will help you a lot
I already did that Johnny. Thanks though!

Ok cool newj64. I figured you'd have to take it to a dealer and they use a special reader.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine came on last Friday. My rectifier has went out. This is the second time this has happened. The first was under warranty at 12,000 miles. This one out at 124,000 miles. When the light comes on. There is about 20 miles of battery life before the fuel pump shuts down. The check engine light can be many different problems. The best thing to do is get to a shop and have the codes read. It may be something going out. Not bad enough to fail. But will fail in the future.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine came on last Friday. My rectifier has went out. This is the second time this has happened. The first was under warranty at 12,000 miles. This one out at 124,000 miles. When the light comes on. There is about 20 miles of battery life before the fuel pump shuts down. The check engine light can be many different problems. The best thing to do is get to a shop and have the codes read. It may be something going out. Not bad enough to fail. But will fail in the future.
If both the battery terminals weren't super loose I might worry a little more. But both of them were about ready to fall out, so I'm surprised it even started. Hard to imagine that not being the reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts