Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m new to the Victory world, just bought a 2017 Cross Country. So far I have put about six hundred miles on it and love it so far. The only problem I have had is a few days ago the check engine light came on and has stayed on. I checked the screen for the error code but it is not displaying one. I already checked the battery cables after reading that they can cause some weird electrical issues if they are loose. I’m trying to avoid having to take it somewhere to have it hooked to a scan tool because the closest place is over an hour away from me. Just looking for ideas of things to check if someone could point me in ge right direction.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So I’m new to the Victory world, just bought a 2017 Cross Country. So far I have put about six hundred miles on it and love it so far. The only problem I have had is a few days ago the check engine light came on and has stayed on. I checked the screen for the error code but it is not displaying one. I already checked the battery cables after reading that they can cause some weird electrical issues if they are loose. I’m trying to avoid having to take it somewhere to have it hooked to a scan tool because the closest place is over an hour away from me. Just looking for ideas of things to check if someone could point me in ge right direction.
Did you remove one or both O2 sensors? These bikes require a special dummy resistor that goes into the O2 lead to fool the bike into thinking they are still plugged in.

·
12,984 Posts
Smith295
If the light is on dealer should check it for free under warranty.
read over how to check oil. Vic's are not like other bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I haven’t unplugged either O2 sensor. And I should have put in the original post that the bike is new to me and has 18,600 miles on it, 600 of which I have put on it since I bought it, so I’m not sure if it’s still under warranty or not. Just haven’t checked yet. Thanks for the info, I have owned several bikes and been riding for years but his is my first Vicctory

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Check all your wiring something somewhere is probably unplugged or loose. O2 sensors are an easy first thing to check if you feel the bike is running fine.

Does the bike have an add-on fuel controller under left side cover? They are pretty popular. Again loose connections etc.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Get the service manual. when the engine light is on you can press the Mode Switch on the left side handlebar until you see the code. If the bike is turned off the code is gone but stored in the memory for the scan tool to see later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Add fuel stabilizer and run 93 or higher.i had the same issue and started using locus fuel stabilizer and depending on were I get my gas,I still get the light but it goes out after about 30 miles.the Sensor's on this bike are very sensitive.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Last week my Vegas was hard to start.
Got her to run on the third attempt.
Engine light came on then went out...
Held 1300rpm for a minute and then settled into an idle, went for a ride and once gettind up it in third a slight hesitation....
Went home and disconnected both battery leads and thoroughly cleaned and 120 sand papered all connections before reitting and tightening.
Now shes sweet again!:smile

·
Registered
198 Posts
The light has come on a couple of times on my 010 Jackpot. Stays on for a few minutes, then goes out. Only done it twice in the last week. Don't know how to read codes, but assume it's a "Time to change oil" warning.:devil

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
The light has come on a couple of times on my 010 Jackpot. Stays on for a few minutes, then goes out. Only done it twice in the last week. Don't know how to read codes, but assume it's a "Time to change oil" warning.:devil
Its probably time to undo thoroughly clean and retighten your battery terminals .
See my above post.
Routine maintenance on these things.
Most, like me , wait for the bike to start playing up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
A few years ago i would get the intermittant "check engine" light. The code rang out low voltage. Terminals checked, all was fine. I brought the battery in for a load test at the local dealer, sure enough the battery was going bad at only 12 months old. $120 later and all was fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
@BBob is nice enough to host the service manuals (https://m.mediafire.com/folder/aoq581k2ab25z/Victory_Manuals). If there is a problem with the link find one of his posts and you'll find the link in his signature at the bottom.

The most recent version there is 2013 and there have been some changes for your 2017 (like the radio I think) but it should be close enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts