Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Victory V92SC is running fine but I noticed that the check engine message is displaying alternately about every 2 to 5 seconds back-and-forth on the MFD. I’ve never noticed this before so I don’t think it’s normal. For instance, when I start the bike the default shows, but then after about two seconds I get the check engine light message which then goes off and the default is back. Just goes on and off like a ping pong game. Any ideas? The bike has a little over 10,000 miles on it and I am the original owner. No other issues.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
If that is the old hammer motor, I'm not sure when Victory went to the freedom motor. You can use a hand held GM code reader to check for a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s an older model than the hammer by about six years so I know it’s not a hammer motor but thanks for your input about the GM code reader.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right. It is the same motor as the Hammer. I recently put in a new battery call a Chrome (good price off Amazon around $65). I’m Wondering if that had something to do with it?

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
It’s an older model than the hammer by about six years so I know it’s not a hammer motor but thanks for your input about the GM code reader.
The original Victory motor was nicknamed the Hammer because it was so loud. They were only in production a short time and looked some what different than the Freedom motor. Then in 2001 or 2002 they came out with the Freedom motor.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
You are right. It is the same motor as the Hammer. I recently put in a new battery call a Chrome (good price off Amazon around $65). I’m Wondering if that had something to do with it?
The new battery could be the problem. Check your connections, a loose connection could cause the check engine light to flicker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks, but it doesn’t really flicker, it just comes on steady for 2 to 5 seconds and then returns to default for 2 to 5 seconds then back to “Check Eng” and on an on and on....just repeating, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Could be a crook O2 sensor.
I'd remove the globe from the light.
If bikes running fine fix the light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks. Bikes running fine. It could’ve been that way for sometime because I seldom look at the gauge. If the oil levels good and the performance seems normal, then is there really any thing to worry about?

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Ok, thanks. Bikes running fine. It could’ve been that way for sometime because I seldom look at the gauge. If the oil levels good and the performance seems normal, then is there really any thing to worry about?
Well , I'm old school, before bikes had all the warning lights and stuff.
My bikes are well maintained by me and I have a feel for my bike.
If something's wrong I reckon I'd feel it and or pick up on it before it got dangerous.
Worrying is optional.
If you have access to diagnostic equipment it may be wise to check or have it checked.
Usually it's a loose or dirty electrical connection somewhere causing the light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will heed your advice and have it checked out. I am now resigned to the fact that I have slowly become old school to at 78 (riding for 62 years). Thanks for all your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts