Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 V92C and its been running fine with no issues. Did an oil change on it recently and the battery died on it. I removed the battery charged it and its working fine again. However the check engine light is on when its running. After it runs for a little bit the light will go off sometimes. What could be causing this to happen?

Couple more pieces of info
When the battery died my friend tried to jump the bike with his truck and the battery died cause the key was left on.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I hate to ask this but did you add the proper amount of oil and the proper weight when you changed it...? Did you put in a new or a "good" oil filter..? Sometimes the light will go on until the oil begins to flow through the engine....

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Sounds technical to me. I'll move this to the CORRECT forum.

Welcome to the Victory Forums.

A few helpful pointers,

• Please take the time to read the “Sticky” threads in the “Victory Forums Rules and New Members Introductions” forum. This will help you out a LOT with the Victory Forums.

• The Search feature is your friend! You will find the answers to a lot of your questions by using it.

• If you are asking questions that are of a technical/mechanical/electrical/performance nature, please place them in the “Victory Tech and Performance” forum. This will speed up a response. Placing them in the model specific forum can delay a response.

Please add the year and model of your bike to your signature, so we know how to help when you ask a question!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put in 5.5 quarts and a new filter. According to the manual I have it uses 5.5 quarts of 20 50.. however i forgot to mention that it was overfilled by 1 quart. I had to drain some out after filling it and running it. i followed all the instructions when filling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the point of breaking this down by bike type if you just gonna move it to a general forum where its just gonna get lost. That makes no since to me at all.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Since you aren't paying attention or are to lazy to read the stickys and welcome.

First, you are asked to put the year and model in you signature. That way when you ask a question people know which model you have. V92's have different models and there are differences in years.

Second, The TECHNICAL and PERFORMANCE section is not general. It is SPECIFIC to problems with all year and model Victory bikes.

Third, you have a better chance of getting a TECHNICAL answer in the CORRECT forum.

Is that easy enough for you to understand why?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Oil has absolutly nothing to do with check engine light.

Run MFD display to Volts, and see how she is doing. If volts go below 11 on start up the light will come on

You might need to do a throttle point reset. I am pretty sure it is stickied to the top of the tech forum

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts

Run MFD display to Volts, and see how she is doing. If volts go below 11 on start up the light will come on

You might need to do a throttle point reset. I am pretty sure it is stickied to the top of the tech forum

It is now! LOLthumb up:ltr:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I cycled threw my display to where it shows bat the number shown was 12.1 when i started it cycled down to 8 and came back up. Then when the bike was running it changed to alt automatically and shows 12.9. I searched for the throttle point reset and did that.

Steps taken
turned key on kill switch on
opened throttle slowly to wide open at a count of 5 seconds.
held throttle full open for 5 seconds
let throttle close itself normally
started the bike.

No change to check engine light. another thing that just came to mind sometimes when im riding it will bog down a little. kinda feels like a hiccup with fuel. The bike has aftermarket pipes and im not sure what else was done to the bike.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Interesting as my dealer told me that when I change my oil the check engine light would come on for a few seconds then go off as it circulates through.....guess one never knows who to believe :crzy:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Interesting as my dealer told me that when I change my oil the check engine light would come on for a few seconds then go off as it circulates through.....guess one never knows who to believe :crzy:
Your kidiing me right?? Did someone in sales tell you that, or someone from the shop??

Back on topic. If your battey is hitting 8v on start up. It is triggering your chk eng indicator. CLEAN terminals and posts with sandpaper...Check for a good clean tight conection on th ground bundle located at the rear bolt of the rerar left peg/board mount

·
Registered
567 Posts
Your kidiing me right?? Did someone in sales tell you that, or someone from the shop??

Back on topic. If your battey is hitting 8v on start up. It is triggering your chk eng indicator. CLEAN terminals and posts with sandpaper...Check for a good clean tight conection on th ground bundle located at the rear bolt of the rerar left peg/board mount
No, unfortunately I an NOT kidding.....Don't get me wrong I LOVE the bike....but the dealer sucks big time....:mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I have cleaned the battery terminals. I sanded them down brushed them with baking soda water. I also sanded connections. They looked good a new. I plugged the battery into my motorcycle trickle charger and let it charge over night. the battery showed fully charged on the charger. I put the battery back in the bike and watched the BAT as i started. it dropped to high 9 and the check engine light is still on. What would be my next step? Is there a way I can pull a code on why the light is on?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts