Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lost! Have a 2004 Vegas. Bike runs fine and starts up fine. No eng light on when in neutral. Shortly after I put it into first it comes on and stays on. When I shut the bike off and start it back up it's off again. Put it in gear again and light comes back. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know how different 2004 is from 2012... but the 2012 manual talks about being able to find the engine error code by pressing the mode button and reading it from the instrument cluster.

Code:
1. If the error codes are not displayed, use the
mode button to toggle until “Ck ENG” displays
on the main line of the display.
2. Press and hold the mode button to enter the
diagnostics code menu.
3. Record the three numbers displayed in the gear position, clock and odometer displays.
4. Press and release the mode button to advance to the next error code.
5. Press and hold the mode button to exit the diagnostics code menu.
6. See an authorized VICTORY dealer for code details and diagnosis.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check your battery connections that they are clean and tight. Check ground wire to frame clean and tight. If that is all good have battery checked. A lot of the time when the check engine light comes on it is the battery going bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking maybe idle speed. Noticed this morning as long as when I put it in gear and start driving and not sitting it doesn't come on. If I sit at a light with it in first and not moving it comes on. If I go to neutral at the light before I stop and not have it in gear it doesn't come on. Any ideas? Do I need to adjust the idle speed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Atomicdog.....I don't have a mode display. So I can't do that. Thanks for the idea though. 06 ya I checked all the battery connections and they are good. I'll get the battery checked out to see if that is it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have your battery tested. If it's more than a couple years old it may test weak and need to be replaced. If the battery test good then you need to perform a voltage test. I wouldn't mess with idle speed untill you rule out the charging system. Your repair manual will have the test procedure. If you don't have a manual use search window on this forum I'm sure it is listed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Throttle body reset didn't fix it. Spend sensor? My speedo reads fine. Is that a sign the it is going bad?
Could be. That's a very common code to throw as the sensors were finicky. Checking the codes takes all of 5 minutes if you have a dealer close, then you wouldn't have to take shots in the dark.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I am goin to run by a dealership tomorrow. Tired of shooting in the dark. Can't even find a auto parts store that will do a voltage check on my battery. So goin to make a trip to a dealer. Thanks for the advice guys! Stay up!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, I had the same fault, I just freed up the switch and has been working fine. I dont think the switch is very weather proof and can give a lot of trouble. I am amazed it is not mentioned more on here. cheers

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
CHECK ENGINE the light is ON

Hi Guys,

After installing a Gorilla alarm and Lizard Lights I switched on the bike and got an CHECK ENGINE light,

So I disconnected the 2 red & 2 black wires from the Alarm and light and charging the battery (just imagine that would be the cause ? ? )

Soo reading this post I followed and read the following;

Error code;
0 652

On my display, I Google the code but came with nothing.... any idea ??

The bike does NOT start,
Contact ON / kill button ON / pump is priming,
after priming the light comes on, priming complete, then it starts blinking the check engine light
removing the fuel hose, squirts out fuel so there is pressure....

Any idea what the code could be ?? PS the dealer has NO diagnostic reader or anything else....

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
The dealer just called Jakarta and it is a "injector" problem, lets see if I can find a loose connection....

:D

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
GOOD NEWS,

Error Code 652 means

Rear Cylinder Injector driven circuit short due to LOW battery voltage, so when I charged the battery the fault was still there, then Jakarta has the software and gave me this answer.

Took the tank off / unplugged & plugged the Injector / put back the tank and

START STRAIGHT.....

Strange the codes are not made public, you need some-kind of Vic software to look up the code....

Just imagine if somebody print it out in PDF .... a lot of hassle will be spared.

Great job from the Jakarta work-shop

thumb up

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Went for a ride tonight and the bike running GREAT

thumb up

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
NOBODY has info about VIC codes ????

Strange after so many YEARS of riding Victory's wac