Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping around for a plate bracket and some of the prices were a bit out there so I decided to build my own. I went down to Lowe's and picked up a couple pieces of steel some nuts and bolts. The total I spent was $25 dollars + the paint. This is how it turned out...

In the last pic I cut down the factory plate holder. My next purchase will be the blinker that sits on the edge of the rear fender. Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Any pics of the backside/mounting area? I was thinking about making one but I am not in possession of my new bike yet...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah let me know if this helps if not I'll take better ones tomorrow. What I did was score and bend the steel into the correct angles then once I got it the way I wanted it I welded it and that was it. This thing is solid!! No vibrations what so ever!

I made it so I can mount it vertically of horizontally.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Awesome!

I will be doing something pretty quickly about the plate on mine once I get it.

Will have to whip one of these up for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Looks awesome!! I am in the same boat right now, order one from Witch-Doctors for $45, or spend $25 and do it myself.

Yours came out great!

:cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks great! I did the same thing with my stock bracket and put some bullet signals on the stock holes and bought a side mount of eBay for I believe $30 turned out great and love the look and saved a lot of money!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks awesome!! I am in the same boat right now, order one from Witch-Doctors for $45, or spend $25 and do it myself.

Yours came out great!

:cool:
$45 is actually a decent price when you compare it to MBW's $398 bracket.

Great job vicowner! If I had a welder.....hmmm. A trip to harbor freight might be in order this weekend.

·
Registered
318 Posts
$45 is actually a decent price when you compare it to MBW's $398 bracket.

Great job vicowner! If I had a welder.....hmmm. A trip to harbor freight might be in order this weekend.
Yea for sure, Witchdoctors it is! I just ordered the black spike caps for the gas tank lid from them. :)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
$45 is not bad at all. I was not prepared to throw down $200+ for a bracket.

May actually just buy the witchdoctors one and not worry about fabricating anything. 30 seconds to bolt it on and I am done....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Me too. Get outta my head Adam. ;)
I plan on covering all the bolts with black caps.
Dude, thats hilarious! Our bikes must have been brothers while they were being built! LMAO because i was just on Witchdoctors last night and decided to cover all my bolts with black spiked caps.....WICKED!!! :ltr:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$45 is not bad at all. I was not prepared to throw down $200+ for a bracket.

May actually just buy the witchdoctors one and not worry about fabricating anything. 30 seconds to bolt it on and I am done....
This is not a new idea, I tried one of those plates places like witchdoctors sells. Here is the down side to that, the mounting hole is not properly cut to fit recessed into the space where the axle nut fits. You have to modify it and when you do that the aluminum weakens and could break off. Also, they don't give you the option to switch the mounting from vertical to horizontal. I have tried those but the "30 seconds" it will take you to install the bracket will actually run longer when you realize that it doesn't fit correctly, unless you are going for that "let's just slap it on" look!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ah, now this is true to my heart... I usually machine and make all my parts. I've been building cars for years.

Nice job on this part, looks clean... I'll probably copy your design a bit and throw it in the C&C and make my own as well. Just stupid to spend almost $4 bills on something that should cost under $100 WITH a 40% profit margin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts